SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jasminehearted

Saving the seeds from peppers (how do I know when they're mature?

jasminehearted
11 years ago

I have a beautiful green pepper plant my grandmother gave me. It's a special specimen from her native Spain of which I don't know that name.

It produces long bright green peppers with a beautiful fragrance and a mild but delicious taste. No they're not hot peppers, but I figured it was similar enough that ya'll might know.

Every year my grandmother grows dozens of these plants from seeds and I want to do it too. Especially since this plant isn't sold in America. She isn't doing well health wise right now so I don't want to bother her with questions right now, otherwise I'd have her explain it to me. (she says don't worry she'll just give me seeds, but I want to do it myself!)

How do I know when the peppers are ripe enough to harvest seeds from and how do I identify a viable seed?

I took one of the first peppers from the plant when it was ripe (to eat) and removed the seeds. I set them on a paper towel to dry in a warm but shady spot in the kitchen. The thing is they seem so thin I cannot imagine they will grow. Like paper thin. They've started to dry brown around the edges. Am I doing this right? Should I wait until a pepper gets really dark and wrinkly on the plant before I harvest?

Any advice would be very welcome! I'd love to preserve this special heirloom plant year after year instead of always stealing them from my grandmother.

Comments (17)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH