SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
musicmom_gw

Audio Book Narrators

MusicMom
17 years ago

A comment made on the thread about listening to books made me stop to think about the recorded voices that read to us. I didn't want to possibly hijack that thread, so I'm starting this one.

Some readers are amazing, some are so-so, and some are downright awful. I remember bringing home "Charlotte's Web" read by the author. I thought the man who wrote the words would surely know how to express them best, but I was disappointed. He was nearly monotone, and my kids bolted after half a page.

On a road trip we listened to one of the Harry Potter series read by an American reader (whose name I can't remember now) and cringed every time he read certain voices--including Hermione's, so we did a lot of cringing. Later we listened to another of the series read by a British reader (whose name I also can't remember) and what a difference! It was worth listening to just for his interpretation of the characters.

I think my favorite reader of all time has to be Barbara Rosenblat. The range of her vocal expression is incredible. Often when she reads mens' voices I find that I forget she's a woman--she's that good. She's the only author I've actually searched Google Images for, just to see if the face fit the voice.

Comments (14)