SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ladynimue

Offer contingent on sale of their home ?

ladynimue
15 years ago

Can anyone tell me the pros and cons of accepting this kind of offer? And what should we make sure is included in the contract to best protect ourselves?

We've been listed about two weeks now, in a fairly strong sellers market (New Mexico). My husband is already working at his new job in the Denver area and we're waiting for a contract on this home before seriously looking for a new home. Ideally, we'd like to time the two as close as possible.

The young local couple who looked at our home yesterday (they are our 3rd 'lookers' if you count the 'crazy' no-shoes lady) are interested but didn't want to make a formal written offer until they knew we would consider a contingency that their town home sells first. They are listing it this weekend and I don't expect that it would take more than a month for them to get it sold.

I told my agent that yes, we'd consider it as long as the offer was a good one. I don't see why not? It was a brief conversation with our agent, so I don't yet know all the ins and outs of such a contingency. But he did say that we could put a 30 day limit on it and make sure that they had mortgage pre-approval. He also said he'd take a look at their town home to evaluate it's sell-ability (but he didn't anticipate a problem with that since so many people are in need of housing here).

The only negative he brought up was that closing could be delayed by about 15 days compared to the typical 30-45 days. But I'm not sure that would be a problem in our situation because it'd give us more time to find our new home in Denver.

I'd appreciate hearing your thoughts and advice :) Since I said we'd consider the contingency they're coming by for a 2nd look tomorrow.

Comments (13)