SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
okwriter

What it's like in an ice storm (long)

okwriter
16 years ago

After watching the news on TV this evening and reading the post about poor Moni, I thought I'd describe what it's like in an ice storm for those who are interested. There are a lot of things you don't think about - I know we didn't before being in a bad one in 2002.

:-)

Those who own (or can buy) a generator are in better shape, but you also have to have plastic gas jugs - something that sells out quickly. You also have to find a gas station that has power and that will let you fill more than one jug at a time. In 2002, our local gas stations were rationing for a few days. Some gas stations start accepting cash only, so you need that, too, because ATMs may not work.

Getting somewhere to buy a generator or gas can be tricky. Power lines and/or trees may be blocking your driveway and the street you live on. Traffic lights don't work, and some people drive like idiots. Once you get to the stores, you'll find shoppers with the "hoarding" mentality who are buying things they don't need because they panic. A few low-life store managers will jack up the price of flashlight batteries and other things they know people need.

There is food in the fridge and deep freeze to worry about. An ice chest outside will keep most things for a few days. You'll need water to drink, of course, and your water may not work if you are on a well with an electric pump OR if your water district's pump loses power (read: no flushing!).

Cooking is out of the question unless you have a camp stove or an outdoor grill that runs on propane or charcoal. Fast food may or may not be available, depending on who has power and how doesn't.

Finding a motel isn't easy because you have to find one with backup power (or one that didn't lose power) that has a vacancy.

Once your power is restored, there is still the cleanup to contend with. If you lose a lot of trees or have limbs on your property, they usually have to be cut to a certain size to be picked up, and even then you may wait weeks for that to happen. Meantime, all kinds of critters make nests in there.

Sorry to ramble on. I just feel so badly for those folks in many states tonight who don't have power!

Comments (12)