SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
marian_2

The Great 2009 Ice Storm

Marian_2
15 years ago

I will attempt to get this story going....

The incoming freezing rain started Monday afternoon, Jan.26th. Later in the evening it turned into freezing sleet, then it went back to lots more freezing rain. It eventully turned into snow...I think that came Tuesday night.

Early Tuesday it was still pretty out:

{{gwi:149542}}

The Liriodendron tulipifera was still intact:

{{gwi:149543}}

Our power went out at 11:30 Tuesday, Jan. 27th.

The icicles were not very long yet:

{{gwi:149544}}

By Wednesday 28th I wrote on my calendar: Devestating ice storm. Trees broken to pieces. Light snow on top of yesterday's ice.

I believe it was sometime this morning that I heard the 4-trunk birch lose it's first trunk. I will always believe it was the added weight of a large squirrel's nest that cause it to break.

You can only see three trunks in this pic. I couldn't get in a position to take a pic of all 4. The forth is behind the lefthand trunk...bowed over to the west. They went all 4 points of the compass....

{{gwi:149545}}

The one that broke is the one in the middle, but this does not show the break! I am sure I took a pic of it at the time, but can't find it.

The cracking and crashing continued on all through that day and night, and the next day and night. We spent most of our daylight hours running from window to window to see what all was falling. The limbs were bowed down so low all over the yard we could hardly see beyond the closest ones. The view was blocked from the bay window towards the shop building, by the serviceberry:

{{gwi:149546}}

A very large branch had broken on it, and lay the full length of the flowerbed. It just barely reached the Ginkgo, and only pinned down one branch. That branch did not break, but another one did. It will not change the overall shape of the tree....thank goodness.

It is in the left hand side of this pic:

{{gwi:149547}}

That is the Honey Locust on the right.

The Heritage Birch was bowing lower and lower, and I was in terrible dread that it too would snap:

This is it taken through the bedroom window screen:

{{gwi:149548}}

That is one of the tuliptree's limbs to the right of it. It snapped, and the broken end wedged into the ground. The top of it wedged beneath the house eaves. If it had fallen a few feet farther to the right it would have taken out the spare bedroom window!

BTW, while all this was going on, and after the power went out, I turned the spare bedroom into a refrigerator for the perishables.

Thursday Jan. 29th our cousin, the local sheriff, walked to our house to check on us. He was going to all the neighbors. He had to park at the head of our driveway and walk because the drive was blocked by fallen limbs.

Earlier a next door neighbor had called.

The temps had risen to a bit above freezing and was beginning to fall from trees. Friday 30th a breeze came up that added to the breakage and ice falling. Great showers of ice cascading down.

It became tricky for me to get firewood. I had spread ashes on my paths, and would get slabs from the front of the shed, and 'rounds' from the back. One trunk of the Birch put a stop to the slabs in front:

{{gwi:149549}}

So all the access that I had was the path under the Red Oak, and it was breaking, as well as dropping showers of ice! I am sure my guardian angel was looking out for me, and neither branches nor ice hit me!

Friday Jan. 30th the Birch trunk, that was bowed down to the ground beside Nolon's bedroom, gave up and broke! I hated that!

{{gwi:149550}}

You can see the first broken trunk clearly in that pic. There is a long split (at least 3 foot long) sticking up from the break, in the center on the tree.

I will stop here, and not press my luck....

I will continue with more later...

Marian

Comments (25)