SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
melaniesc_gw

So heartbroken, my dog is dying (long)

melaniesc
13 years ago

We are so heartbroken, I have been crying all day, laying with her, trying to keep her comfortable and clean...This is such a bad pain..

She started getting sick Monday, She was vomiting foam throughout the day, and by night time she was wheezing, We rushed her to the Emergency vets and all they did was give me some fluids and told me her throat could be swollen cause of something she ate.....

Next day, she became so lethargic, vomiting, not eating or drinking so I took her to the best vet in the area, As soon as he saw her his response was "OMG this dog is near death"... Blood work, xrays, feces sample, labs are all normal.. We have been to the vet a few more times. She is on IV Fluids, Sub Q antibiotic injections, Nausea pills.. I give her these things twice a day, change her bedding constantly.. Washing her keeping her clean and comfortable... She is really bad now. Her bowels are now loose, just pouring out, she is all skin and bones now. Her breathing is still wheezy. I don't know what else to do.. I am so heartbroken, I keep thinking of the happy go lucky loving dog and I start breaking down and crying. My husband is having a hard time to, its really his dog, he has had her for 7 years since she was a puppy.. We are all devestated, especially not knowing whats going on..

We took her to her favorite place over the weekend, Our hunting club, cause she loves to go hunting,hoping it would help or if she was going to die she could die in a place she loved.

Monday. I am going to call the vet and talk with him. See if she is suffering. Vet wants to do an autopsy free of charge, because he is totally stumped as to what is going on.. Please pray for our peace and pray for my Sweetie.. I love her so much..

Also I have another little dog 1.5 years old who knows somethigns going on and she is starting to be sad because he "sister" isnt around ( I have sweetie in my spare bathroom, have made comfortable bed for her etc, thats my hospice room right now).. I am trying to take care of both dogs, my house, my husband. I have missed a week of work and will miss another 24 hr shift monday. She can't be left alone.. Finacially we are now suffering cause I have spent over 500.00 in the last week. Emergency vet was really expensive...

Sorry this is so long, I needed to vent

Comments (36)

• jennmonkey
    13 years ago

Oh no, I am so sorry! I would be beside myself too. :( It's terrible when we don't know what's wrong with our pets and when we can't do anything about it.

• kacram
    13 years ago

I'm so very sorry Melanie.

• Related Discussions

SOS - My Rosemary is dying!

Q

Comments (1)
    I do not know much about Elephant Ears because they are not widely grown here but my understanding is that they require constantly moist soil. Entirely different from the conditions rosemary needs. My guess is your rosemary is suffering from too much water. Rosemary comes from the Mediterranean where it is adapted to endure weeks of no rain at all. 20 minutes water per day? It's drowning.
    ...See More

My heart is heavy, I feel heartbroken

Q

Comments (69)
    Thanks for bringing this thread back up to the front page, and for your sympathy and kind words. It's been over a month and I still miss her terribly. Her picture is still on my desktop on my computer and when I see it half of me wants to smile, the other half cry. :-) I've had alot of furkids/fursisters in my lifetime so I can only hope they're all keeping each other company now! Samkaren, I got your email but I've been so sick for the last 3 days this is the first I've really gotten on my computer. Thank you so much for sending me the note and for your nice thoughts.
    ...See More

New dog attacks my cats-long post

Q

Comments (36)
    I know that. It was just a county dog pound, actually. They don't do any testing. I've been asking around and getting advice. I actually volunteer at our no kill facility and will get advice. Lots of resources available, they just will cost me $$. Her former owner lost her home, had to move in w/ friends who were not allowed to have animals.....hid the dog at a friend's house who put the dog outside. It ran away & was picked up twice. Owner finally just surrendered the dog. Such a sad story and she's 9 so I knew she was going to be put down. She is sweet, and yes, I can get her healthy, and then look for a new home. thanks for all the advice.
    ...See More

My dog gave me such a scare ( a tad long )

Q

Comments (13)
    I do believe that dogs live "in the moment" but I also believe that they remember enough of crappy former lives to truely appreciate wonderful new lives. We have six rescues (yorkies) who were either abused, neglected, or otherwise traumatized. It is so wonderful to see them come out of their shells and become ... DOGS. ((hugs)) to you!! I can just imagine how anxious you were, until you got Ellie to the vet. I'm so glad she's feeling better.
    ...See More
  • lisa_fla
    13 years ago

I am so sorry to read this! You are truly a good Mama doing everything you can. Its weird nothing is amiss with xrays, labs, and so on. Check in with the vet (they must have an answering service) to see if you should up the subQ dose with the diarrhea. Sending KT prayers hoping she pulls thru. Could she have accidently ingested some type of poisin?

• mariend
    13 years ago

If this came on sudden, it could be a poisen that she ate without knowing it. Plants, decon. mouse poisen, illegal drugs thrown on the ground by someone etc. I am surprised that the vet did not keep the dog at the hospital. When our dog got so sick, our vet put him in the hospital and there was someone on duty 24/7. I truly wish the best.

• samkaren
    13 years ago

Melanie

(((HUGS))) It is never easy to lose a beloved pet. I'm praying she will be okay. You are a wonderful mother to to your furbaby.

Please keep us posted on how she is doing.

SamKaren
    your resident DJ

• melaniesc
    Original Author
    13 years ago

We have thought of the poison, but my 2 dogs are always always together, If Sweetie was eating anything Lily would have grabbed it out of her mouth cause she is a pig lol.. Lily is healthy and fine.. and she is just a baby still she is 1 1/2 years old.. Sweetie the one thats critically ill is 7.. We don't have any poison around here, and he have looked all over our yard for anything possible that could have done this, but its weired why we have one sick dog and the other is fine..

The Dr is treating her for Parvo, but her parvo tests are neg, and she had her shots. He said there isnt much more he can think of doing. I just treat her like a baby, I am constanlty washing off her bum, changing her bedding, making sure she is warm and covered. Have tried offering water, baby rice cereal, she doesnt want anything..

As for IV she is only 9 lbs and I am giving her 150 ml of fluid Sub Q twice a day, She is so skin and bones, you can feel the fluid in her back, but the Vet said that was ok.. I was doing everything right, he said her body will take it as its needed. We don't want to make the choice to put her to sleep, but I feel in my heart her organs and her body are shutting down. I have been praying, if its God's will to take her, I want him to take her and not have her suffer anymore.. She is worse tonight then she has been, she won't even lift her head anymore, and if I stand her up she falls over.. I am so exhausted, because I have been up for days, since Monday with her, I am always checking on here making sure she is ok, I don't want her to die alone, so I can't sleep, and now with all this cry, my face is chafted, red, sore and puffy.. Plus my boss thinks I am crazy and I don't care what she thinks.. We have no children and these dogs are our babies. I can't leave her alone and I won't.. If I have to sacrafice because I can't go to work right now I will.. SHe is more important to me than anything.

Thanks for the prayers. They mean alot

• bigfoot_liz
    13 years ago

i am sooo sorry! i hope you know, she knows you are doing everything you can. someone once posted a pet ten commandments here and some of it has stayed w/ me for years. one of them was for us pet parents to be strong when our babies are sick, they need us to not freak out and fall apart so we don't make them more afraid. until i read this i always said i could not go on living w/o my sandy but i realized that my dh and other furbaby tracey would suffer even more then. i also learned to be supportive while they are at the vet and focus on how they feel right then, not what is being said and get upset, which only makes it worse for them. try to think about how your reactions affect your sweetie and make her time w/ you quality good time, not sad and scary. try to get some sleep by her, she will not feel abandoned you are there and she can wake you.

our furgirls are our children too so i can relate. sandy, my girl, was very sick last weekend, throwing up on and off. mon a.m. i had to go to work, there is only myself and another employee left to do 4 jobs. i was taking them to the vet that afternoon. my dh stayed home w/ her till noon and had to go to class. i got out early and picked them up and we went to the vet and dh met us on his class break. she was better but got a shot to keep her from vomiting and had blood work done. by tues she was ok and on wed her bloodwork can back fine. vet was not sure what happened until dh mentioned tracey was now throwing up too... they had a flu or stomach virus. tracey is more frail so we immediately started meds for her. she seems fine now. it was a scary weekend as they are both almost 12 yrs old.

you guys are in my thoughts, please keep us posted. (((melanie, furbabies & family))) ~ liz

• lydia1959
    13 years ago

So sorry (((Melanie))). We had to put our 10 year old dog to sleep last June and it still brings tears to my eyes. The vets didn't know what was wrong with him either, but I knew he was suffering and I made the decision to let him go. Do what's best for Sweetie.

Many of us have been in your situation. We know how very much it hurts.

• melaniesc
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you for understanding.. I am completly exhausted.. My dh has to work he is our main supporter in this house, so I know he has to sleep.. I was just in their, she vomited all over and has poop everywhere, Just washed her all up and changed her bedding again.. My washer and dyer are going non stop.

I really try and not fall apart when I am with her, I talk to her about hunting, her favorite thing, I talk to her about everything.. I clean her up do what I need to do.. then wash my hands etc and go spend time with Lily.. Lily is lost and doesn't know what to do, but she does know something is wrong, she isnt pestering sweetie at the gate (sweetie is in my spare bathroom with baby gate at the door) so I try and spend time with both dog.
    I sleep on the couch so I can hear her. Monday I guess we will have to talk to the vet again and make a choice.. I wil keep you posted

• katclaws_mo
    13 years ago

(((Melanie))) I am SO sorry you are going thru this. You are so dedicated & loving to your fur-babies. I've been there too & know how badly it hurts. I had to put my 20 yr old kitty down last Feb. I could not bear to let him suffer. I was there the day he was born & I was with him when he took his last breath. It's never, never easy. Whatever happens, which ever way it goes, please know that I am keeping all of you in good thoughts & prayers.

• organic_donna
    13 years ago

"I don't want her to die alone, so I can't sleep, and now with all this cry, my face is chafted, red, sore and puffy.. Plus my boss thinks I am crazy and I don't care what she thinks.. We have no children and these dogs are our babies. I can't leave her alone and I won't.. If I have to sacrafice because I can't go to work right now I will.. SHe is more important to me than anything".
    Your words just broke my heart. I have two cats and they are my children. You boss is not someone I would care to know. I'm so sad for you. It really does sound like poison to me. Have you called the poison hotline? I know your baby is in the care of a great Vet, but she had to have ingested something to make her this sick.
    Donna

• vicki7
    13 years ago

Please take comfort in knowing that those of us who have loved and lost a beloved pet understand what you are going through now. It is just like losing a human member of the family. You are doing everything you could possibly be doing and have left no stone unturned to try to help your baby. Praying for you and for Sweetie.

• schoolhouse_gw
    13 years ago

Sorry to hear this. She knows you are there and helping her.

• lynn_d
    13 years ago

Oh Melanie, I am so very sorry. Hugs to you and to your family. Poor Lily, I bet she is confused, and she will be lost without her Sweetie. I hope you find out what has caused all of this, it will at least give you some peace of mind.

My thoughts and prayers are with you. What a wonderful caregiver you are.

• socks
    13 years ago

Keep on doing what you are doing for her. It sounds really, really bad, but maybe she can pull through. If you need to sleep, just sleep on the floor near her.

It's heartbreaking, I know.

• Jasdip
    13 years ago

I'm so sorry you're going through this Melanie. My heart is breaking for you.
    It's awfully hard on you, emotionally and physically. Too bad the doctor couldn't have kept her overnight and do more tests on her

I hope something good happens soon, and she'll pull through.
    Se knows you're doing the best thing for her. She probably feels horrible emotionally as well, because this isn't normal for her to be pooping and vomiting all over the place.

I can't for the life of me imagine what could have happened to her, unless it was poison, but you have ruled that out.

• dotmom
    13 years ago

Oh, what a good and caring Mommy you are. I can't offer any advise, just Prayers for you, your Hubs and your Babies. (((((Hugs)))))

• Marilyn Sue McClintock
    13 years ago

Hugs and Prayers for you and Sweetie.

Sue and Izzi too

• janie_ga
    13 years ago

(((Melanie)))

• donna37
    13 years ago

Prayers and special healing thoughts going out for Sweetie.

• jannie
    13 years ago

I am so sorry. You will know when "It's time". For me it's when I finally realize the animal friend will never get better. I've been in your shoes too many times. The kindest thing we can ever do for a pet is give him/her a quiet painless end. I truly believe in "Rainbow Bridge" and that we will see all our pets again.

• suzieque
    13 years ago

This just breaks my heart for you. There are many, many here (including me) who completely understand and empathize. Please keep us posted.

Suzieque

• cookie8
    13 years ago

My sister had the same thing happen to her dog about six weeks ago. She also brought it to the vet ??? on tests, gave him some fluids. He spent days lethargic, throwing up, not eating or drinking. He got better after two weeks and is now back to normal. No idea as to what it was. He is a big scary, rottweiler so I was thinking it was poisoning. Her dog didn't eat for about six or seven days and didn't drink for almost as long. I think the IV saved him. Hope this gives you hope.
    BTW, so sorry about your little guy and hope he pulls through.

• cat_ky
    13 years ago

Melanie, we lost our female Basset Hound to very similar symptoms, about a yr and a half ago. Our vet couldnt find anything either, and all tests came back normal. She finally died, and our vet did an autopsy free of charge. She had a gallbladder that was buried that didnt show up on any tests, and it had ruptured. Have your vet, check out that gallbladder, maybe it isnt too late for her yet. Cat

• Jodi_SoCal
    13 years ago

Melanie, it's so tough to watch this happen to your beloved pet, especially one so young. Did the vet check for pancreatitis? We almost lost our dog to this. She was put on IV fluids and not allowed to eat for 2-3 days to help rest the pancreas and pulled out of it. Her first symptoms were not wanting to eat so I started added an egg to her food to encourage her. The fat in the eggs made it worse.

What are the symptoms of pancreatitis?

Symptoms of acute pancreatitis may range from mild to very severe. The symptoms are similar to those of other diseases and may include a very painful abdomen, abdominal distention, lack of appetite, depression, dehydration, a 'hunched up' posture, vomiting, and perhaps diarrhea. Fever often accompanies these symptoms.

Animals with more severe disease can develop heart arrhythmias, sepsis (body-wide infection), difficulty breathing, and a life-threatening condition called disseminated intravascular coagulation (DIC), which results in multiple hemorrhages. If the inflammation is severe, organs surrounding the pancreas could be 'autodigested' by pancreatic enzymes released from the damaged pancreas and become permanently damaged.

What are the causes of pancreatitis?

Multiple factors can contribute to the development of pancreatitis in dogs:

* Certain medications, especially potassium bromide, as well as some anti-cancer drugs and some antibiotics
    * Metabolic disorders including hyperlipidemia (high amounts of lipid in the blood) and hypercalcemia (high amounts of calcium in the blood)
    * Hormonal diseases such as Cushings disease (hyperadrenocorticism), hypothyroidism, and diabetes mellitus
    * Obese and overweight dogs appear to be more at risk
    * Genetics may play a role, with Schnauzers and Yorkshire terriers appearing to be more prone to pancreatitis
    * Nutrition: Dogs with diets high in fat, dogs who have recently gotten into the trash or have been fed table scraps, or dogs who 'steal' or are fed greasy 'people food' seem to have a higher incidence of the disease
    * Abdominal surgery, trauma to the abdomen (e.g., hit by a car), shock, or other conditions that could affect blood flow to the pancreas
    * Previous pancreatitis

Hope this helps.

Jodi-

• Lily316
    13 years ago

So so sorry for what you're going thru..

• organic_donna
    13 years ago

melaniesc,
    You said, "We don't have any poison around here, and he have looked all over our yard for anything possible that could have done this, but its weired why we have one sick dog and the other is fine.."
    I found a list of possible causes of dog poisoning. Maybe reading the list will help you locate the cause. Please let us know how she is doing.
    Donna

Here is a link that might be useful: dog poisoning

• mariend
    13 years ago

There is another disease similar to Parvo. My dog had it with similar symptoms and is airborne. One of my dogs got it the other did not and none of my neighbors dogs got it and he was so sick. very highly contagious, but this was about 20 years ago and I cannot remember the name. Almost identical.
    I wish you the best

• Jeane Gallo
    13 years ago

I am so sorry for you, and I too know what it is like to have to sit there and watch a loved pet die. We've had to have two put down when they finally got so sick (stomach cancer) and the other so blind and deaf (18 years old). It is absolutely the hardest thing I've ever done in my life. I have no children and my furkids are definitely my babies.

• petra_gw
    13 years ago

I am so sorry she is so ill, I know how much it hurts.

• Linda Wayman
    13 years ago

Melanie, I am so very sorry. Everyone has expressed my feelings and my thoughts for you and Sweetie. My prayers are with you.

• Georgysmom
    13 years ago

My heart is breaking for you. I hope Sweetie pulls through this terrible ordeal. Keep us posted.

((((Melanie and Sweetie))))

• sleeperblues
    13 years ago

My heart is also breaking, Melanie. I can only imagine how much you and your family are suffering. Sweetie does know that you love her and are taking good care of her, the poor baby. I feel so sad for you and the little pup.

• country_bumpkin_al
    13 years ago

Poor baby! I'm so sorry! Looks like others have given you some ideas to have your Vet check out!! I hope this ends on a happy note for you and your Sweetie!!

• nola_anne
    13 years ago

So sorry for you, your DH and BOTH of your furbabies, too!

I will be praying for relief for all of you soon...I know it will be hard but your staying calm will help your little girls feel comforted and safe during this ordeal.

Keep us posted on her condition...I will keep her in my prayers.

nola anne

• FlamingO in AR
    13 years ago

I am so sorry, I know how hard this is. I agree with Jodi, this does sound like pancreatitis, one of our dogs had it and the symptoms sounds just like that you're going thru.

Good luck, I hope she makes it OK.