SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pamghatten

New dog attacks my cats-long post

pamghatten
14 years ago

Sigh ... I'm so disappointed and frustrated.

You all might remember, I lost my 13 yr old dog Dakota in January. So my female dog, Lily, and I lasted about a month before we were looking for another male to adopt. I wanted a big goofy mutt.

So we found Brownie at one of the SPCA's in the area, not an SPCA I had ever been to before. They said he was great with cats and had no issues.

Well, they were wrong ... immediately found out he's food aggressive to other animals. He went after Lily over a rawhide and then attacked my 20 lb cat Bailey because he got too close to Brownie's dish. He's not food agressive towards me. So we're dealing with the food aggression by feeding everyone apart.

He attacked my feral barn cat a couple of weeks ago. We were in the barn, I was feeding my donkeys behind closed gates and heard a ruckus ... he had her on her back on the ground. She finally got away from him, while I was screaming at him and trying to get out from behind the locked gate to help her. She scratched the heck out of his nose and ears, which I felt he deserved.

Bailey likes to come down and sit on my lap at night while I watch TV. This cat loves dogs and used to curl up with Lily all day long, Dakota tolerated the cats but was never mean to them. Brownie sits in the chair next to me and when Bailey is on my lap he keeps creeping closer, even though I tell him no. Then he'll reach out and nip Bailey's butt ... not hard, but enough to make me nervous and make Bailey leave my lap.

This morning he was upstairs with my while I was getting dressed for work, and went after my 13 year old cat Ronni. I saw him go into his "hunting crouch" right before he went after her and told him no, but he was in the zone. He had her in his mouth and wouldn't let go. We all ended up on the floor and I finally got him to release her. I made him go downstairs after telling how bad he was. She's OK, but I'm not sure I am.

I have 5 cats int he house that all came from different rescue organizations ... the oldest are 13, the youngest is 4 ... none of them know anything about mean dogs, they all think dogs are like Lily and Dakota ... buddies or at the very least, dogs that ignore them.

I'm having physical issues these days, going through menopause and trying to learn how to deal with night sweats, hot flashes and mood swings. And not having an easy time of it.

He's been at my house for 6 weeks now ... he can be a very sweet dog, but I don't trust him. I'm not really sure I can deal with all of this right now and am seriously considering taking him back to the SPCA, which is what they want if I decide he won't work out. They are a no-kill shelter ... He's my 4th dog, and I feel like I've failed, him and me, if I take him back.

Any advice would be helpful ...

Comments (36)