SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
alisande_gw

I think Medicare is losing its mind.

alisande
12 years ago

Until recently, Medicare would pay for 12 visits to the chiropractor per year. I never reached the 12, but I probably did 6 or so per year. This year, as part of their general crackdown, they changed the policy and will pay only for "events," such as pain from an injury. No longer can we go to the chiropractor when we're in mild pain, to prevent it worsening, or even severe pain, if it just "happened" (without an event).

I have scoliosis, and Medicare considers that to be a chronic condition, and therefore not their problem. They denied my last claim, and my chiropractor (a very nice man who has gotten me out of pain for 20 years) said once Medicare does that the patient's name is flagged and they'll automatically deny future claims. So from now on I'm paying for my chiropractor visits.

The reason I say Medicare has lost "its mind" is that it seems to be refusing to pay for preventive care across the board. Recently a dermatologist told me that Medicare will not pay for skin exams to look for suspicious moles. He said it's as if the program wants people to get skin cancer, because they'll pay for that. He was so disgusted with Medicare, as were a couple of other physicians I spoke with. Somebody in the government is going about these cuts all wrong.

Comments (27)