Houzz Logo Print
hope_full

My adult daughter is disappointed in me.

15 years ago

She's 35 years old and the middle of three children (two girls and a boy).

I don't want to go into all the details of her life on a public forum, but I'm posting because I need to know if ANYONE ELSE is going through this. I've done everything in my power to find a way back into my daughter's life, but without success.

She tells me that I was not a very good mother and that we ate too much junk food growing up (typical 1980s fare - Hamburger Helper and such) and that I'm a disappointment to her and that I embarrass her. The way she talks, you'd think I'm a felon, but I'm not. I've lived an honorable life and have worked hard and never even had a traffic ticket. I never drank or did drugs or cheated on my husband or engaged in any untoward behaviors.

Her siblings tell me that she's "gone around the bend," and not to listen to her. Interestingly, she has also written off her grandparents and her father (my husband). She says that she has nothing in common with any of us.

She is well educated and we are not. BTW, we (parents and grandparents) helped pay for some of that education.

I don't want to go into the guessing game of what went wrong here but I want to know if any other parents have ever experienced this. I swear, I think it'd be easier if she was an alcoholic or a druggie, but she's not. She just does not like us, and tells us that in word and deed.

I've cried myself sick over this. My husband said, "Don't let her selfishness ruin OUR life."

Does anyone else have an adult child that's just walked out of your life? Please tell me how you coped with it. I've tried and tried to compartmentalize it and just put it into that mental file folder of "things I do not understand but must accept," but every holiday, I cry a river of tears.

How do you cope when a beloved child won't talk to you?

HF

Comments (41)