SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
becky_ca

Need some advice about unhappy adult step-daughter

becky_ca
17 years ago

I have a 22yo stepdaughter that I need some advice about - her dad and I have been married for a little over 13 years, and I feel like overall we've been a successful blended family. Not perfect, but not dysfunctional, either. In case it's relevant, I also have a 25yo son and 21yo daughter, another stepdaughter who's 19 and our son together who's 12 (the only one living at home).

Here's my problem: I feel like this girl (woman, really) is constantly complaining. A very concrete example: yesterday we went out to breakfast with SD, her boyfriend, DH and I and our son. We were having a pleasant meal and some pleasant conversation, when out of the blue, she started complaining about how much she hates her job (I think her exact words were she had a breakdown a couple days before over it), how much she hates the area she lives in, and how unhappy she is overall.

I wish I could say this was an unusual occurance, but it's not - it seems to happen at almost every gettogether we have. I don't feel like she's seeking advice - I feel like she's being melodramitic and trying to get attention. To me, if she were really asking for advice she'd be talking to her dad or I one on one and really listening to the responses that she gets. She got very offended when after complaining to my daughter in the same vein my daughter told her she thought she was depressed and should get some help for it - counseling, drug therapy, whatever it took. She complains that she doesn't sleep well (which I haven't observed when she's lived with us) and had a sleep study done which shows no abnormalities.

I've tried to talk to her dad about it, but he seems to be really sensitive to any criticism of her. He says that the negativity comes from her mother - that she acts (or acted all those years ago) the same way, and that it's learned behavior.

I'm to the point that I just don't want to listen to it anymore, and quite frankly I'm dreading spending Christmas with her. I tried to bring it up diplomatically with her dad yesterday on the way home after breakfast, but I'm not sure he really understands or even agrees that there's a problem. If it doesn't stop, I think I'm just going to have to tell her to suck it up, stop whining and start thinking about what she has to be thankful for.

I'm tired of alternately ignoring the negative rants or trying to change the subject, and would appreciate any advice anybody can give me.

Becky

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Franklin County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living