SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
janie_ga

Need help from Tally... my Bugsy has to be quarantined

janie_ga
12 years ago

I tried to find Tally's email address but I could not get it from her KT member page.

Poor Bugsy has a case of ringworm or some type of fungus-vet is confirming whatever it is. Eric said the black light "lite up" when his head was under it. It is apparently concentrated on the top of his head and around the base of his ears. We have a spray to treat him with twice a day and the vet said he has to be quarantined for a WHOLE MONTH! We are supposed to take him back to the vet in two weeks if her is not improving. They had to shave his poor head (have not seen him yet but I am sure he is pitiful!).

My questions...

1. We have 3 other cats (ages 5-12) who have been around Bugsy for almost 3 weeks- how long is the incubation period for ringworm? If they do not show signs of "fungus patches" now, are they probably okay???

2. Right now Bugsy is locked in the spare bedroom. We have large canvas "kennels" that we use for taking the cats to the vet and long distance travel- they are about 3 feet long and 1 foot wide and tall. Would keeping him in that at night be a safe quarantine? I am thinking we could have him in our room that way instead of in the spare bedroom. The other cats sleep with us but Bugsy has not been officially accepted by Elmo enough to be allow in our bed (which is apparently a good thing now!).

3. Would a black light help us tell where in the house there are concentrations of the fungus spores so we could adequately clean?

I was "infested" with ringworm from potting soil about 10 years ago- that was also my last attempt to have plants! Other than the gross factor, it was definitely not the worst thing in the world but then I could keep myself covered and am not in the habit of licking myself, lol. The only cat I have ever had with it was very sick with end-stage feline leukemia and was the only cat we had at the time.

Comments (3)