SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cspinto

The Despot lost my windows!

cspinto
16 years ago

It's true, I was getting cocky thinking that this remodeling thing wasn't so bad. The GC and I had a couple of minor issues but, in general, things were humming along. After he installed the skylight and windows, the cabinets would be installed and I'd be in the home stretch. Well, you know that light at the end of the tunnel? Yup, it's a train!

I've been checking with the expediter at Home Despot for the past week or so to make sure the windows (which I bought, not the GC) were on schedule. Good news - they left the factory and are on their way! Yesterday was even better news. They'll arrive at our local store by 7pm. Then he left a voice mail telling me they would be delivered to the store by 6:30. Great!!

I called the GC to ask him to pick them up this morning and he said, "Call me when they're actually in the store." So I walked up to the Customer Service desk last night and the nice lady said, "I don't know why Tim called you, there are no windows here." OK, maybe the truck is stuck in traffic. She agreed to physically check in the back if I called her right before closing. You guessed it, no truck, no windows.

Today Tim tells me it's a mystery. They don't know what happened but I shouldn't be upset because my "estimated delivery date" wasn't until next week anyway. Huh? He was the one who was telling me they're on the way, they'll be here tonight!

So here's the problem. The cabinet guy was scheduled to install this week but the GC still needed to install the windows so the date was change to next week. He has a huge job coming up after mine and didn't have enough room in his shop for my cabinets and the new ones. No problem, I told him, you can store them in my living room. After all, it's only for a few day, right? But if the Despot can't find the windows in time for them to be installed by Monday, I'm going to lose the cabinet guy to the bigger job and won't get him back until after Christmas. I'm not in the mood to smile and say that's ok so if the windows aren't in the store tonight, Tim's phone will be ringing at 8:01 tomorrow.

Please forgive my venting, but if anyone cares to share their scheduling snafus, I'll commiserate along with you.

Comments (18)