SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
msrose

My husband thinks I've lost my mind

msrose
16 years ago

I know some of you will remember my quest to find the perfect paint color to go with my paneling. Well, I've

gone from paintchips taped to the wall

to posterboards painted

{{gwi:1848391}}

and now this

{{gwi:1884647}}

{{gwi:1588197}}

The sad thing is, I'm not sure I like any of them.

Steve - If you're reading this, I know you're just shaking your head :)

Laurie

Comments (50)

• acoreana
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

awwwwwwwwww

I like the second from the left :)!

Nat

• redbazel
    16 years ago

Laurie, Oh my goodness. I've been there--done that. It's insane isn't it?? And you usually end up with something entirely different than what you think.

Refresh my mind on this. Are you trying to match or simply coordinate with that paneling shade? Is the paneling a great shade that you guys carefully chose, or is it something you're trying to work around? Because if it's the latter, I would repaint that. And if you HAD to match a paint shade to your paneling, what would that color be? In other words, do you know what the paneling color is supposed to be? That might help.

Do you want a brown? A beige? Obviously not a gold, since the paneling looks pink or peachy. What look are you going for here??

Red

• Related Discussions

I've lost my mind... Sweet Peas, too late to bother?

Q

Comments (3)
    Why not give them a try? Conventional methods say to start them in early spring, when the soil has thoroughly thawed. So what if it's late spring? You might get something from them before the real heat hits. I think I'll try some too. PV
    ...See More

I've lost my mind, and a basil

Q

Comments (12)
    Haha, your post is funny token! I haven't lost a plant, but like mbhoney, I have a couple plants and I have no idea what the he!! they are. It frustrates me because I should have marked them or put them on the map I make of my beds, but I did neither and now I feel like an idiot for not knowing what I'm growing when I'm the one who planted them last year. I also have at two things growing which are either something I planted or they're weeds. I'm waiting for them to get a little larger hoping I'll be able to tell which they are, then. I hope at that time if they're weeds, they haven't dropped seeds. Robin
    ...See More

It's Official -- I've Lost MyMind

Q

Comments (35)
    Hi PG! I don't feel so bad now. I just paid $35 & $20 for two carnosas, both were in 15 in hanging buckets, the larger was over 4 ft long I incorporated them both into the same pot with a rebar trellis it turned out really nice looking. He was asking $50 for the smaller and $65 for the larger. I told him the larger was worth easilly $100. Anyone want some carnosa cuttings off of a really old plant? I had to take quite a bit off to get them on the trellis and in the pot I wanted them in. Pictures coming soon :) With those deals I felt like I got took when I payed $20 for a hindu rope with one branch 3 ft long and two about 8 inches, and $10 for a 6 in pot of KP. I choked down $10 each for a rooted foot long stem of Rhipsalis edwaldiana and about a 4 in rooted stem of variegated hindu rope. I thought $95 was a good price for all.
    ...See More

I've Lost my Mind (what's left of it)

Q

Comments (34)
    Paul, I love to have you paint the view. I'd love to see a picture of your finished work. The mountain to the right in the picture is Bastion and the lake is Shuswap if you're interested. As far as being in zone three as opposed to 4/5, I'm not sure if it makes a difference. Frozen is frozen - right? I think the problem come in with spring freeze/ thaw cycles. We don't normally have these in my experience but 2007 was the exception. I lost about 10 large, mature plants that were in pots. Up to then, I'd been just tipping them on their sides and that has always worked. I don't know what I did wrong, didn't tip them up early enough? Anyway, last year I made much more of an effort to get nearly all potted plants (75+) into an unheated garage. I had always taken the smaller, expensive, newer plants in there but I no longer felt safe leaving any outside. They all came back just fine in spite of the fact that we had snow in the spring after leaves were all up. The trick becomes when to take them out of the garage. Some people have said to wait until late May to be absolutely sure. I have no patience for that so I ended up throwing sheets over them. Maybe you should try with any duplicates you have first. Keep the precious ones protected longer and watch your weather reports. I've been trying to get more and more in the ground but it's a loosing battle I'm afraid. McT
    ...See More
  • msrose
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Red,

I was originally wanting the paneling to be more of an off-white with an antique finish, but it ended up with a peachy tone. Several people on here suggested I repaint it if it's not what I really want, but we spent $3,000 on it and I'm not about to tell my husband I want to change it, so I'm trying to work with it. Here's what my furniture looks like:
    {{gwi:1779489}}

{{gwi:1548358}}

I still love my furniture, but I've decorated with more of a forest green and I'm not really into that shade of green anymore. I keep going back and forth about whether I should pick more of a brown tone to blend with the paneling or a green to go with my decorating. The far left color is Jamesboro Gold with has a touch of green, but I'm still not sure it's the right color. The 2nd from the left is Norwich Brown, which I think actually matches the paneling the best, but I'm not sure if I want brown.

Laurie

• reeree_natural
    16 years ago

Laurie
    you are HYSTERICAL!!!!!!!! Loved how the paint samples progressed from little chips, to large paint samples that cracked me up! (smile) oh how I remember going through that a million times already. .. what color is your furniture, flooring, window treatments?? I love the paneled walls.. very nice! Do you have pictures of the rest of that room.. that could help out of the four stripes, I favor the two to the leftÂ.and if you know my taste, you know what colors I am going to say right??? lol!!! Ree~

• noodlesportland
    16 years ago

trust us!!!! the second from the left--have some wine/vodka/tea. relax. it will be perfect.

• noodlesportland
    16 years ago

listen, once it is done you will not even remember the others---it is def. the second from the left.

• msrose
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Do y'all really think the brown (2nd from left) would look okay with my furniture?

Laurie

• reeree_natural
    16 years ago

we posted at the same time..just saw your furniture..your paneling is just beautiful..how about a plum, brownish plum or green?? Ree

• msrose
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Ree - There's actually another wall that you can't see that has your Earthenware on it, but the lighting in the entryway makes it look completely different than in your house. Not a good match at all.

Laurie

• natesgramma
    16 years ago

When I first saw the title, I was afraid this was going to be from Reno, wanting to repaint her kitchen or something!

I have totally been where you are, having painted my bathroom 5 times. At least you are in the same group of colors, I was all over the place.

YES, the 2nd from the left. It looks like a yummy milk chocolate and should look great with your furniture. Go for it.

• patricianat
    16 years ago

The second from the left on my monitor appears to be the one that plays well with both the upholstery and the paneling.

• msrose
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Wow, it seems to be unanimous.

Ree - Burgundy was mentioned before, but there was a concern that it might not mix with the color of the wood in my furniture as well. I'm definitely okay with green, I just haven't been able to find the right green.

Laurie

• bluestarrgallery
    16 years ago

At first I would have picked number 2 from the left but once I saw the whole room - I say a deep rich color like the burgundy in the furniture fabric. Rather than matching the paneling I would enhance and contrast it by painting with a contrasting color. New London Burgundy on the Benjamin Moore website looks good - but I have no idea how it would look on the walls.

Perhaps someone will photoshop it and you could see what it would look like. There really isn't much wall space in there. And then the ceilings would be painted one of the beige type colors I think.

• reeree_natural
    16 years ago

Laurie
    oh I would love to see what it looks like in your house..too bad it is not working ...that room is beautiful..love the paneling.. I think browns, plums or green tones would work well with your walls and furniture.. some one posted a site on paint on here..Ellen..?? something..I took a peek, nice! take a look . I will hunt around for paint swatches tomorrow for you. sleep good..don't worry..the right color will strike! Talk tomorrow.. g' nite
    Ree

• msrose
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Chicory, Squirrel and Moonshadow did some photoshopping for me before. Here's a burgundy, green, and brown to give y'all an idea of what each would look like.

{{gwi:1884648}}

{{gwi:1884649}}

Laurie

• redbazel
    16 years ago

Laurie, after I posted here, I went back and read all the threads that had some of your questions and photos. I don't know why I hadn't realized that you were looking at the Northampton Putty that I used in my DR for THIS space. I think I thought yours was for a dining room too. Pardon me for not paying close enough attention.

So tell me, did you not like the Putty in there? Is it one of your splotches? I bumped the Jonesboro Gold thread back up with a post that includes one more wall shot of my N.Putty.
    Now that I've gone back and looked at all the photo shopped threads, all the many views of your paneling, and your fabrics, I am thinking that your ideas about getting a brown toned neutral with green it it will be the best way to go to neutralize the peachy tones of the antiqued woodwork. I'm sure it all looks good in person, but I do know how hard it can be to work with something with such pronounced color already. And I can identify with your reluctance to tell the DH anything!! I anxed over telling mine that I wanted to buy a new light fixture for my master bath, after having already bought one at Lowes when we did the new tile. I made a big deal over framing out the plate glass mirror and having him tear down the old light box and install the new one. Well, within a few weeks, I hated the framing around the mirror and didn't much like the light I picked. And we're only talking a couple of hundred dollars of stuff that had to be replaced. Your $3000 would bring my DH to apoplexy. So. Even though a deep cream or something less "antiqued" looking might please you more, let's work with what you have and neutralize that. (And on your kitchen question in another thread............NO. Don't antique. Just paint them.

So, whether you try the Northampton Putty, which I think would be really warm and lovely in there, or whether you do another neutral with warm tones leaning to a green/grey/brown, I do think that's maybe where you need to go. And don't add in anymore of the wine or burgundy. You've got plenty of that already. And I think it's contributing to the paneling reading in the rose or pink tones too.

Red

• bellaflora
    16 years ago

been there done that :-)

IMO don't do anymore brown. Do a sophisticated green. Laura Ashley' Olive 3 is a good one (I think Cattknap has a pix). She also has it w/ red accent in her room. My sister painted her kitchen w/ Olive 3 and her kitchen cabinet is creamy w/ glaze just like yours.

Try Laura Ashley Olive 3. or other paint's equivalent. I think there are a lot of green in the gallery. But no browns no gold no muddy colors please.

If I have the choice, instead of repainting the panel, I would just reupholster the sofa, or buy new ones. :-) Maybe replacing the carpet w/ wood floor..hmn..okay I'll just stop before your DH kills me. :-)

good luck w/ the painting. Don't feel bad, we all have done it. Your DH just hang out w/ the wrong crowd.

• reeree_natural
    16 years ago

Laurie
    I like the brown tones. (last picture) I would add color by placing more interest on your book cases, vase, figurines , some greenery etc (mixed with your books of course) and maybe find a pretty area rug with greens ,burgundys, browns, creams and just put it right on top of your rug now. .I really think thats all you need to do, its a beautiful room.. Doesnt need much to bring it outRee

• kitchendetective
    16 years ago

I like that burgundy. The brown seems too off compared to what looks like a taupe in the upholstered pieces. Of course, I'm going by how it looks on my iffy monitor.

• lmhall2000
    16 years ago

Laurie..you poor thing!

Okay, I'm in the group about repainting it...but I know it's too hard to try and go there...if we lived close we could get together and knock it out in 2 days for free! :) But, what I'm seeing from the samples is that I really think a very lighter color would work better...Carrington Beige or somethign along those lines..the key is getting just the right color that won't accentuate the peachy...

Ideally, I'd love to see all that trim painted in white dove and choose a soft neutral out of the cream color in your sofa..then use an accent color for your hallway or other room...I think it's so peachy that it's hard to pull a color that won't contrast with it...I think the greens would have a really hard time working with the peachy...oh, I'm feeling for you! I hate it when a color drives me nuts!

Tara

• cao100
    16 years ago

I like the burgundy in the photoshopped images. But, of the ones you painted on the wall I agree that the 2nd from left is it. Good luck I know how stressful this all is!

Chris

• jillypie
    16 years ago

Either the burgundy in the photoshopped pics or that taupey last one- which I really like the best. Then I would add some more burgundy in accents.

• mimi_2006
    16 years ago

I think the second from the left is great and I like the brown tones best. That plays down the burgundy/green look you said you're not really into anymore but it blends great with the whole look of your room and furniture.

Your pics made me laugh. Years ago I was looking for the perfect terra cotta color for my great room and for weeks I had several samples on large portions of my walls. All my neighbors came over and voted then I'm sure left snickering...lol.

• reeree_natural
    16 years ago

Laurie
    I know you don't want to paint your panels.. just a suggestion that I think will work nicely .... when you have the color picked out, ( I still think neutral tones) paint the back walls of your book cases in an accent color .. when you have a paint strip, say you start at the lightest color. .as you work your way up the paint strip.. those are the same tones, but they get deeper and deeper.. pull a color off there deeper than what you painted the wall color. .and bring it to the back wall of the shelves.. this will break it up a bit.. Then accessorize the shelves as I wrote earlier to bring in more color and interest to that space
    can you picture it? Ree

• reeree_natural
    16 years ago

PS..(or) if you go deeper on the walls..go down the strip and use the lighter color on your book case wall...

• beache
    16 years ago

I like the burgundy walls the best!

• bluestarrgallery
    16 years ago

I like the burgundy the best. Even a deeper burgundy than the ones in the photoshopped photos would be nice. That color really pulls together your room and makes your panelling look so rich. The back of the bookcases could be painted a contrasting color too - maybe not the burgundy, but maybe so - hard for me to picture.

Thanks to those doing the photoshopping it really helped visualize the room.

• patricianat
    16 years ago

At the risk of getting my knuckles knocked, I wonder if there is enough light in your house to pull off the burgundy. Burgundy can look very dark and dreary in wintertime and given the already darkness to the millwork, I just wonder if it will emphasize that. I think the brown ties and makes the millwork more subtle. Another thing, I think you should consolidate your family pictures into one area as it makes the room very, very busy. Where you have blank space, which you need in your shelving, add something sparkly like crystal or silver, even brass, to give the room some reflection. I'm ready now for my knuckle rapping.

• canobeans
    16 years ago

I think you need to think even bigger splotch. Take the color you like the most and do that whole section of wall with it. You've got to see it without the influence of the other colors next to it. I've done this so many times that I don't even bother with little splotches once I've got it narrowed down to 3-4 colors. I just whip out the roller and drop cloth and do a whole section of wall. Amazing how different a color will look when you do that.

• msrose
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Red - Boy, that was alot of research, but I appreciate it. I do like the Northampton Putty alot. I was thinking that if I went with the Jamesboro Gold in the entry, I would go with NP in the hallways since it's a similar, but lighter tone. Although, the NP may actually be darker than what I want in the hallway? The problem I'm having with greens is they tend to take on a bluish tone in my lighting and NP might fall into that category. I only bought one of the small sample jars of it, so I couldn't paint a very big area, but if it's one that I really should consider, I can always get a quart. Hey, what's one more! I do still like the idea of a brown tone green, but I just can't find it. About the kitchen cabinets, I'm now going back and forth about whether to paint or stain darker? Will I ever be able to make a decision?

bellaflora - I've heard people mention Laura Ashley olive before, but I forgot about it. I think I'll go pick up some samples today. That's at Lowes, right?

Tara - That's so sweet. I think it was Patricia that told me before that she could help me repaint it if she were closer. Too bad none of you live in Texas :) Even if I repainted the paneling, I'm still not sure what paint color I would go with for the entryway.

Ree - I've never really known what to do with the bookcases, so that may be my next project :)

Laurie

• jan_in_wisconsin
    16 years ago

Laurie,

I understand the trauma paint color can cause, believe me. My hubby was so sick of seeing me carrying around a paint deck when we were building . . . yikes! And then I changed my minds so many times! :o)

Anyway, I was also in favor of repainting the paneling, but if that's not an option, then, as you mentioned, the next best thing is to find a great wall color that makes it all work. I like the second stripe from the left, as others mentioned, before I even read their replies. It picks up the glaze color in the paneling well, it appears on my monitor. I do like the burgandy too, or I'm sure a very light neutral would also look nice.

I agree with a previous poster about painting an even larger sample area, and I wish I had done that when we were selecting colors.

Jan

• msrose
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Patricia - No knuckle rapping. I always appreciate your comments. The pictures are actually more spread out now than they were above. We got a new TV and we can't set the pictures on top of it, so I moved them to the mantle for now and I was wondering if it looks too crowded or it they're okay there.

{{gwi:1854515}}

Should I move more pictures to this table?

{{gwi:1749893}}

canobeans - I was kind of wondering the same thing.

If y'all look real close at that last picture I posted, there's a sample of Olympic Pony Tail hanging from the bottom right corner of the picture on the wall. It really seems to blend with the paneling and might be an option for the hall. Although, if I'm not crazy about the paneling color, do I really want to paint the hall a similar color?

Laurie

• patricianat
    16 years ago

The room seems to lack unity with all the different finishes, mat colors, frame colors. What if you get all the mats in your prints the same color family, paint all the frames same color and group all family pictures in another area from prints, etc., and put away the family pictures that are not current.

I have 3 boys and 3 grandsons. I have a portrait of the 3 sons during their college years that I display in the foyer on the wall that is opposite where you look when you come in but visible upon leaving. On the DR wall, I have a row of sepia pictures of the grandsons, all of them at 1 year of age. They all have same frames, same "blond" hair. :) Opposite that wall still in the DR are pictures of my grandparents and my husband's parents in sepia configured in same way and similar frames as the grandsons. No pictures of DH and myself except on his desk, where there is a picture of me, him and the boys when they were jr hi, mid and elementary school age. *I admit to having a ton in the attic of the boys, however.*

• msrose
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Patricia I've been wondering about the mats and frames also. I was thinking of accenting more with black. I like the reddish wood on the frames I have that are sitting around the room, but the ones on the walls are what I'm thinking need to change. Here's the pictures behind the couch.

The picture in the middle has a black frame, but the ones on the side are more silver.

Do you think it would look better if all the frames were black? The picture over the fireplace already has a black frame, but I could change the mat to black also.

Laurie

• msrose
    Original Author
    16 years ago

One more question...we changed all of our lightbulbs awhile back to try and cut down on our electric bills. The bulb in the entrway is fluorescent and the ones in the family room are halogen. Would that be bringing out the blues in all the greens that I try?

Laurie

• Molly Brown
    16 years ago

You need to do something about the dog first, I think he's/she's possessed!

• ummm
    16 years ago

sorry i don't like any of the sample colors...

i think either a burgundy or sage green would work better.

how about BM aura's 'tea room'?

• patricianat
    16 years ago

Laurie, you might want to just take them all down before/during painting and then put one of each color back up and see which color frame and/or mats look better with your paint, then change them out. I think too many colors/mats/frames, etc., make it even harder for you to make up your mind about the paint. It's the overall thing. Take everything out of room except sofa which has to stay and go with that to choose paint. Then when you get the room painted, play with frames and mats. I think you will see you can actually work with this room and the colors if you do that and eliminate things by putting when it starts looking like you have too much (You don't have to throw anything away. I find myself changing out for some things I have not used in years recently and putting others away. My mother had a lot of McCoy which I kept because it was hers and now I find myself looking in the attic for two vases because they will look so good in my bathroom since I painted it). Now, let me go do some of that myself. I need to eliminate way more than you do, but I keep putting it off. This is a good time while I am thinking about it, before DH reminds me again! :)

• msrose
    Original Author
    16 years ago

aw, you can't be talking about my sweet little puggy :)

ummm - I found tea room on the BM website and it looks pink. Is that what color it really is?

Laurie

• ummm
    16 years ago

it's a plumish color which may work with your couch? it's hard to tell on the monitor - just trying to see if something different would work better than the beiges! :)

• bluestarrgallery
    16 years ago

The color of the mats on the photos behind the couch is just about the perfect color for the walls. The brick of your fireplace goes really well with your paneling too.

I think your pug is camera shy and yet it looks like he/she posed for the art above the mantle, how sweet.

• bobo1970
    16 years ago

Burgandy, is the best fit for the room in my opinion.

• patricianat
    16 years ago

Pay close attention to what Red Bazel said and then look at her lovely home. She has an eye for color and design. Think about what she said. I think she is wise to what you need, rather than what you think you want.

• reno_fan
    16 years ago

Laurie, I really like the bones of your room. Heck, I even like the paneling as-is! I do think a different paint color will help tone down the peachy look, but I'm going to go against the crowd and say to avoid burgundy. I think it will make your room scream "80's".

Frankly, I think your sofas in front of the paneling look great. Any one of the colors in that fabric would work, IMO.

Have you looked at SW Hopsack? It's a very popular color in our neck of the woods, and I've seen it paired quite successfully with painted/glazed cabinetry.

I can *so* totally relate to your dilemma. I painted my kitchen in my last house 11 times!

• reeree_natural
    16 years ago

Laurie
    how are you doing? have you made a decision yet? I really agree that using neutrals is your best bet! Hang in there! Ree

• mclarke
    16 years ago

I will add my voice to those who have suggested to avoid more burgundy. It makes your panelling almost flesh-toned.

I would even re-mat your artwork to get rid of the burgundy mats. I think dark brown mats (like your accent sofa pillows) would make your panelling look rich and warm.

• ttodd
    16 years ago

I would def. consider a green as mentioned by other poster's. Maybe something that doesn't scream green but reads more as a green w/ brown undertones.

• les917
    16 years ago

I don't care for any of the paint samples on the walls. They only highlight the pink tones in the paneling by being so gold or brown/gold. I also wouldn't do burgundy, as you have so much of it already in the room.

I would first consider finding a color that is the same as the background color in the paneling - a soft creamy ivory tone, and just use that. The entry area feels kind of dark and closed, so a light color there would work. I would then take the same paint and paint all the ceilings, both in the entry and the living room. The white ceiling only works to make the walls look even more pinky-peach in contrast. By painting out the ceiling in the paneling background color, you will lessen that considerably.

I would get a larger area rug for the entry, something with a creamy field and burgundy accents, which again will tie into the LR but keep the entry lighter in feel. I believe I see a cabinet of some kind in the entry area where the coats are? Be sure you have a lamp there for some warm lighting for the entry.

I would take the four small flower pix on the paneled wall in the LR and hang them in the entry in a grouping. I would change out the mats to a neutral, to show off the flowers themselves - you don't even see them in the burgundy matting. The frames are fine. By bringing some of the burgundy onto that entry wall, you will introduce the burgundy color in the entry that will then lead the eye into the LR.

I would take the larger piece in burgundy matting and use that over the fireplace - having two pieces of art on that fireplace wall that are matted in green kind of makes it feel like you were trying to match the art, but they are not hanging together so it feels disconnected.

I would take all those balls out of the tall vases on the fireplace and puit them in a bowl somewhere - they are lost in those vases. Then find some tall, fountain-like grasses and greens to put in the vases for softness.

It seems like you have so many great family photos. I would have them all framed in complimentary frames and use the large paneled sections behind the couch to hang them in a striking grouping. By using those instead of the burgundy matted collection, you will stop highlighting the color of the paneling, and instead will have a varied grouping of photos that will become the focal point. I would also move the photo screen and tuck it in a corner or near something so it doesn't feel like it is just floating in the room by itself.

I love the little chest you have by the entry, but I don't like it there. It is heavy and dark, and feels like a barricade to the front door area. I would remove that and leave that entry open. Maybe you could move it over to the other side to where the little green bench is now?

Try to get some pillows for the couches that are creamier in their background color, to lighten the feel of those pieces. They could still have a print or a stripe, but should have a lighter overall background that brings in the wall color. Something like this, tho this particular pillow may not be right, but the idea of a lighter background is the key.

crewel pillows

I don't see much ambient lighting in the room - at least in the views we have, only one lamp on an end table, and that is too small. Put that lamp on the little chest that I had you move over to the other side of the room. Get a bigger lamp for that table, perhaps another lamp to sit on the sewing machine (I think) that is behind the couch acting as a console table. More lighting located lower and that is warmer will also affect how the paneling is perceived, and will keep the eye more focused into the center of the room and away from the walls.

I think your room has lots of wonderful things going for it. Settling the entry will help, and then tweaking the LR space and its accessories will make it all feel finished and cohesive.

• susanlynn2012
    16 years ago

Les, I love all your suggestions! It is a pretty room and I think with your suggestions, it will look even prettier.

• kitchendetective
    16 years ago

You need to do something about the dog first, I think he's/she's possessed!

I'm LOL!