SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
malhgold_gw

Lost my Job-Had to Downsize the Remodel-Need Opinions

malhgold
15 years ago

So I unfortunately lost my job and don't feel comfortable spending the amount of $$ we were originally going to spend. Since we already have all our appliances sitting in the house, we've decided to go ahead with the reno. I've revised my layout to keep cabinet and other costs down. I don't feel like I have compromised and am perfectly happy going forward with either of these kitchens. Looking to you for the good, the bad and the ugly on both.

The first 3 renderings are all the same except for the window. Main advantage with the range off center is that this layout provides more counterspace between the sink and the range which I think will be highly utilized. The first rendering has my existing 36" window(which I would love to keep for $$ purposes, but may look too small). The second rendering has a double window and the third has a casement flanking a larger window. I know the shelves are in different spots in some of these. They can be moved as needed. I'm really just interested in your comments about the overall layouts.

The second layout has the range flanked by 2 windows, which has always been the look I wanted for the kitchen. The negative is that I'm not sure how "useable" the counter space to the left of the range will be. Is my family going to be scrunched using the right side of the kitchen?

The last photo shows the pantry cabs that will be behind the island for storage in whichever layout I choose.

As always, thanks in advance for your help. As you could imagine, this has been a difficult time and I just want to make sure I'm making a good decision here.

Comments (43)

• anne999
    15 years ago

Sorry to read your news, malhgold. I hope things are better soon.

I like the off-center stove, for the reasons you mentioned - it gives you more space between the stove and sink, which is really important. I also don't like the stove being right next to the dishwasher.

For saving money, I would keep the single window for now, and when things improve, replace it (I like the double window look, myself). Either don't do a tile backsplash now, or do a very inexpensive one, with plans to do the one you want when the window is replaced.

• ccoombs1
    15 years ago

I like the offset stove and the big window. And like anne said, you can do the window later. I don't like the two windows flanking the stove....it looks too much like a face to me (windows are the eyes, hood is the nose). lol!!

• Related Discussions

Downsizing to my parents garage apartment

Q

Comments (13)
    That's a generous offer they've made you. The deal sounds good for you, financially. And your parents can rent it out after you leave. As for the privacy question, they probably have the same concern. You and your mom should probably have a talk and come up with some rules in advance. No showing up without calling, or whatever. And that works both ways. Three years doesn't sound like a super long time to me. But I'm older, so 3 years would fly by. That could work for you very well, depending on your attitude and whether you all get along well. And your parents will probably love having easy access to their grandson, and you won't have far to go to drop off baby boy for his afternoon with grandma! It's just possible you'll look back on this arrangement with fondness, in the years to come. It's not like you're single with no kids and will be partying every night, doing things you wouldn't want your parents to know about (like I was doing in my 20s). A problem may come in with the cost. As a poster above mentioned, the renovation may cost more than they originally plan on, and then what? In renovating, problems come up. Problems cost money. Decisions are changed, and that costs money. Could you end up paying more than $500? That's a critical thing in this arrangement, since the renovation isn't done yet. Or will they foot the bill for cost overruns, since it's their property? I moved back into mom's house when I was in my 20s, for a while. It worked out fine, and I wasn't particularly close with my mother. I enjoyed spending time with her and seeing her on a regular basis. I still remember that time fondly, and how kind it was of her to let me stay with her during that time, while I got my life on the right track. I'd do it, if the renovation cost issue I mentioned were ironed out beforehand. How nice of your parents to make this offer. You have some great parents. And I'm sure you're a great daughter, which is why they made the offer!
    ...See More

Need quick opinions, does my tile need to be redone?

Q

Comments (38)
    I'm so sorry about your reno fatigue--that can be overwhelming sometimes. I would say that whether or not you are up to the delays, etc that are involved w/ redoing the tile is a decision for you and dh to make. However, if choose to have it redone, I would strongly encourage you to reconsider paying out of pocket for more tile. It sounds like you did your homework about this tile, discussed it beforehand w/ the GC, and have had realistic expectations of what is acceptable. This is installer error, thus the burden to pay for a fix *is not on you*. Given your good working relationship w/ the GC, hopefully all will proceed peacefully. And I suspect your dh would be much more amenable to a re-do if there is no cost to y'all. I know mine would be! p.s. It is definitely easier/less labor to remove before grouting. p.p.s. If you do start over, you might want to indicate w/ an arrow on the back of each sheet of tile which way is "up". Although I still don't think that is your responsibility to take care of that, it might facilitate a faster, more successful install ;-)
    ...See More

Need opinions on (bad?) tile job

Q

Comments (29)
    Metricpony. If the current sub can't fix the work they installed, I would consider someone else to do it right. I would imagine the builder will object to getting a new installer, but the bottom line is, you have to be happy with the finished product. I understand what Weedyacres said about putting waterproof membrane over green board and it being suitable, but I don't believe it's something that's going to last for years. There is no reason to rip out rows of tile, just to install a listello to make the job right. It should have been set up right to start with. This is just an installer that doesn't care how it ends up. Any professional would have done a lay out to make sure it falls with a full piece or a nice sized cut. Personally, if it were my house. It would all be removed and start over using cement board and an installer that cares about the work they do and the finished product.
    ...See More

Downsized in real life. Update on my 1939 living room.

Q

Comments (110)
    This house was 1700sf, but I want to "age in place" so I added a first-floor master suite, laundry and a new kitchen. The stairs are narrow, without a handrail, so I didn't want to use the upstairs master (it's now my studio)! The person before me lived here 30 years and had one of those lift chairs until she finally had to go into assisted living. The old kitchen didn't have original cabinets and there was only 1.5 feet (really) on two sides of the island, the cabinets were only 1 foot deep and the 1980s fridge couldn't be removed without removing the island (width of the sink and dw only). The rooms are on a 12' wide scale. So, my new master and kitchen are 12'x12'. My previous home that my husband and I built was over 4000 sf on 4.5 acres. I was an avid gardener (and blogger). I don't have the gardening/blogging in me anymore. I have 1/2 acre here.
    ...See More
  • rhome410
    15 years ago

Have you mapped out where you'll keep essentials, like flour and sugar, oils, spices, etc? --Where your dish drawers will be, where pots and pans and baking pans will go? Also, anything you keep out on the counter? Where will you use your mixer and do baking projects? Maybe figuring out those things will make the choice clearer. It's the nitty-gritty of accomplishing tasks that will be important when the kitchen's finished. You may find that area to the left of the range may be very useful or completely a waste. It's pretty impossible to tell without knowing what's inside the cabinets nearby. Think through making a typical dinner, mixing and baking a batch of cookies, getting breakfast and your family out the door. Will things be in easy reach and can you lay out things efficiently? Think what each of your family members may want from the kitchen at the same time you're busy with those things, and can they get to their needs without tromping through your work path?

• Buehl
    15 years ago

I prefer the first layout, third window option. As others have said, if it's too much for now, leave the window as-is and do it later.

Another option would be to do the windows so you have the infrastructure done, but go with an inexpensive countertop for now. Later, when money eases up (or you've saved for it), replace the counters with what you really want.

• Buehl
    15 years ago

Btw....where is the MW?

• pcjs
    15 years ago

I am not a big window person... not sure why but the three windows has zero appeal to me. I prefer the one but enlarge it, or the double window or the two window option... what ever is easiest (we are DIY so that's why I say that). Either way, your kitchen will be lovely. I'm sorry about your job!

• rhome410
    15 years ago

"Btw....where is the MW?"

Good point. Don't you already have an Advantium to install?

• remodelfla
    15 years ago

So sorry to hear about your job. I hope this leads you something you like even better.

From a prep space perspective; I'd prefer the longer prep space between the sink and range. I find that the most frequently used.

• debs3
    15 years ago

I am sorry about your job.

I do not have design experience, but I really like the off center stove with the third window option. Here is why, it looks like there is a large open area beyond the stove end of the kitchen, so brightening up the corner area with a large window is very appealing to me and it gives you the work space you want.

And what rhome410 said, "You may find that area to the left of the range may be very useful or completely a waste.", is something to consider.

• rhome410
    15 years ago

I think you said you were OK with the idea of the Adv under the counter? Those sinks are supposed to be 24" single bowls...They look smaller.

Just an idea.

• malhgold
    Original Author
    15 years ago

We are going to have an advantium, not a microwave.

Advantium will probably be in the island on the left side(if you're facing the island). To the right of the prep sink will be the refrigerator drawers.

Pots/pans will be to the left of the range. Dishes/glasses on the shelves, or possibly dishes in drawers in the island. All pantry food items, snacks, etc. will be in those pantry cabinets. I'm planning on 90" of space there.

Coffeemaker and toaster oven more than likely to the right of the sink.

Everything I've proposed is already in the budget and is doable. But if people thought the 1 existing window looked fine, I'd go with that and it would just be less money spent.

I am including a pic of what is to the left of the kitchen. There are 2 windows framing a slider. The room does not get much sun as there is an overhang for the porch there, but there are windows. Also, my backyard view is not the nicest(neighbors!!!).

Disregard the white wall of cabinets. That has now been eliminated.

Thanks again.

• rhome410
    15 years ago

So, all non-refrigerated food items and supplies will be in the pantries behind the island? It seems like much of the island and base cabs are used up by appliances and sinks. Once you get everything planned in the island, I don't think you'll have room for dish drawers or any baking or cooking supplies? I guess in the one plan you still have shelves to the left of the range, which considering the storage issues, to me now seem very important. You can keep oils and some basics (flour, sugar, spices, etc.) there.

• madeyna
    15 years ago

I really like how you have the stove balanced between the end of the wall and the window on the third pic. If you ever want to add open shelves or cabinets up there the balance you have would be really important in making it look right. I also love the space at the left of the stove. I think it would be a useful area to put hot pans cookie sheets exc. My last kitchen I had the stove within two feet of the sink and I was alway worried about the kids getting burned when they used the sink.

• pcjs
    15 years ago

If the view isn't nice, skip the tripple - stay with the single and keep it the same size or if possible enlarge it some if it doesn't cause too many issues as a compromise. But, you may want to pick a standard size so you can buy curtains - we don't have standard sizes and it sucks not to walk into a store and be able to do off-the-shelf. But, that's an old house for you. We never look out our window so it isn't a big deal to me and I'd rather have the cabinet space - I guess we could have done a bigger window but it didn't occur to me nor did I care - just wanted a new one which is an absolute joy (love Marvin's). I prefer the look of two windows but that is a look that you can do later - just save some backsplash tile incase you have to do repair work if the kitchen is that dark (or just do more lighting).

• sailormann
    15 years ago

Very sorry to hear about your job - must be frustrating and a bit disappointing.

I actually like the first option with the single window the best. If it were my kitchen that is the one I would choose. The thing that I like is the symmetry with the range and hood and the window. The window seems to be taking up almost as much visual space as the range and hood.

The only thing I might consider doing there would be to emphasize the window with some casing or moulding in order to really showcase it. Perhaps you could add a capital or something that was exactly the same width as the range hood ?

I think your project is going to turn out wonderfully. It looks like you have a very logical layout.

The double and triple windows look a little overpowering to me. The window on each side looks a tad twee...

• bmorepanic
    15 years ago

Maybe a window like this sitting at counterheight with countertop extended into it?

from anderson for the pic

• antiquesilver
    15 years ago

Not quite an opinion on layout, but I like the chimney style hood in the above rendering better than the solid one that goes all the way to the ceiling. Visually, it seems to be in scale with the window(s) regardless of how many you choose; otherwise, it looks a bit overpowering IMO. If you've already bought the solid hood, you might consider window treatment(s) that go all the way to the ceiling for a more balanced look. Sorry to hear about your job - to bring in a kitchen on budget is hard enough without the downsizing/unemployment issue.

• lascatx
    15 years ago

I'm sorry to hear this, especially after you went through so much to get to where you thought you wanted to be. I hope you find a silver lining in it all -- maybe a new job and a new kitchen?

I like the one with the window as it currently is or the one with two windows best for appearance. The other two seem too be too much to balance.

Deciding between those two, I would do as rhome suggested and think through not only a meal's use, but a full ordinary day and something like a party or holiday. Where would everything be and how would you use the space.

I've posted so many times that symetry is over-rated, but I do like the two windows -- but probably for light and view as much as anything. If your view isn't good and you can't create a view (planting, fountain, birdbath, rock garden, etc.) outside the window, then that's not much of a benefit. I think the other thing I like is that I see two work spaces that don't get in each other's way (other than possibly to get to the fridge and back). I could see my mixer standing in that left corner and those drawers having all my baking goodies as well as other cooking things.

No one has, so I have to ask -- are you sure you won't regret waiting a bit or exploring some DIY or other options to make the original plan possible after you spent so much developing it (you didn't say how long it has been since you lost your job or what else might be factoring in)? Scaling back is not a terrible thing and you won't have a bad kitchen with any of these. Just take the time to make sure of your decisions. The most expensive things you do are the ones you regret and/or do over.

Best of luck to you on all fronts.

• vicnsb
    15 years ago

So very sorry about your job...and about having to make changes that you had not anticipated. That said, remembering photos, you have a great space to work with and the new plan will still be custom made for you. Go back to basics of where you want to be, and place stuff accordingly. I do like it with the extra space between the sink and range. You have lots of light coming from the dining room side, so unless you have felt like there wasn't enough light, don't you think it would still work?
    It will still be all new and wonderful!
    vic

• claybabe
    15 years ago

Agree with much of the above: Very sorry about your job, and your kitchen will be lovely no matter what. I prefer the asymmetric arrangement, single or double window. I like the work space between the sink and stove. Also like Bmore's window (way to shave costs...!).

And what happened to the storage to the right? I really liked the storage wall. I guess if the fridge is in a better spot that's better for you. However, one of my favorite things in my kitchen is my big framed in storage area with doors on it (less expensive than cabs, and I like how much I can fit in there). Good luck, with jobs and kitchen!

• mamadadapaige
    15 years ago

so sorry about your job...

another vote for the existing window and more counterspace between sink and range which I think would be VERY useful for you. UNLESS you could eliminate the prep sink in the island and put your main sink in the island and plan ahead for the symmetry of two windows. I just love this kitchen (from the subzero catalog) and it is a very similar configuration to yours (but just has one big sink in the island across from the range... can't see it in this picture but there is another in the catalog)... I may have posted it in a previous thread for you... if so sorry for the redundancy.

• ci_lantro
    15 years ago

I'd give up a lot of stuff before I'd compromise on the storage wall because I think that wall is critical to the function of the kitchen.

Moving on, I like the offset range & favor a single casement compromise on the windows. The double hung window doesn't feel right with the other modern elements.

• rhome410
    15 years ago

The whole house has double-hung, right? I'd want to consider this question from the exterior, also...and for consistency with the rest of the interior.

• susanlynn2012
    15 years ago

I Like the single window or the double window with the stove not right up to the table edge. The triple window is pretty but will be difficult to find window treatments for it. Beautiful kitchen despite having to make some compromises. Thanks for sharing. Please let us know what you decide.

• remodelfla
    15 years ago

malhgold... are you planning on installing the Advantium u/c? I know the specs say it has to be above the counter but I also remember that someone quite a while back posted pics on one installed under the counter. There had been threads about it over on the appliance forum but the concencus seemed to be that you should abide by the spec for warranty reasons. If I could install the one I'd like UC it would eliminate a couple of issues for me.

• lascatx
    15 years ago

Don't trust anything I said last night or say today or tomorrow. I have a cold or something like a flu-lite and am not feeling good. I saw the pictures today and liked the one with the triple window that I thought was my least favorite last night. Truth is, until my head clears, I don't know what I think. Listen to rhome. She'll tell you what I probably would say if I was in my right mind. ;-)

• malhgold
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Lascatx - you just made me chuckle with your Rhome comment...which is not that easy these days. Thanks! My last day at work is December 15th. I am considering going back to school, so new employment may not be part of my short term plans. I am REALLY ok with changing these plans. I was sort of having a hard time coming to terms with what I was spending before and we are DIY'ing quite a bit as is. I think I'm getting more and more frugal the older I get. I wouldn't be going ahead if I wasn't happy. It is still a lot of money to spend and i don't want to have any regrets. Thanks for the "sanity" check.

At this point I'm still not sure what direction to go in. I'm going to have to think about this a bit longer. I am leaning towards the off center range with the 1 window. I don't know that adding windows in this layout makes THAT much of a difference, so I might just stick with what I have if I do pick this version.

Mamadada-you had posted that pic in another thread and I do love that kitchen. I have/am considering moving the clean up sink to the island and putting a prep sink where the clean up sink is(plumbing already there). I really was all set to commit to the off center one until you posted that again. AARRGGHH!

Remodelfla - I am planning on installing the advantium UC. I've read all those threads on the appliance forum and I didn't get from them that you should install above counter for warranty issues. People who had them installed below the counter, had had service people in and they said nothing. I purchase mine on Craigslist so I have no warranty, so that really isn't a concern of mine.

Thanks everyone!

• rhome410
    15 years ago

Too much pressure, Lascatx! Me do the thinking for us both?! :-) Being a 48-yr-old woman, I rarely feel my mind is my own lately... Sometimes I'm not sure where I left it! (Even in my 'right mind' I think I could often prefer one version at night, then choose another the next day...You see different things.) I hope you feel better soon.

• Buehl
    15 years ago

Notice in mamadadapaige's picture...which really is nice!...that the windows go down to the countertop, or even lower. I think that's one of the things that "makes" it work so well. I also don't think there's cabinetry/counter under the windows...I think it runs b/w the windows only.

If you do do that, I suggest you have tall windows down to the counter...they balance the large hood on the wall. The smaller windows don't seem to have the same affect (effect?).

BTW...after seeing Mamadadapaige's pic, I've changed my mind (and I'm not on cold/flu medicine!)...if the windows that flank the hood are tall & down to the counter I think it's the best look & feel!

• claybabe
    15 years ago

You know, I think the Mamadadapaige kitchen needs the two balanced windows because of the closed left side of the room. I think in your space, Mahlgold, I prefer the asymmetric stove placement: it kind of balances the open left side. (I also agree with the down to the counter window, but I already said that!)

• malhgold
    Original Author
    15 years ago

what about this idea? Adjustments can be made in window size. More for the feeling.

I can make the double hung windows closer to the counter if necessary.

Link below shows inspiration.(not committed to the stainless backsplash all the way to the ceiling)

Here is a link that might be useful: Inspiration

• farmhousebound
    15 years ago

I like this layout a lot if it is doable in your space (but I also love the pic mamadadapaige posted and your space looks so similar) but would definitely bring those windows down closer to your countertop. I really like that you moved the prep sink (or will that be your main sink?) on the island--that way you are not splitting up your work space available on your island. If you end up going with one of your first layouts I would keep that sink down at the end you show in this last layout.

• lascatx
    15 years ago

Took me several tries to type my screen name, so I probably ought to keep my mouth shut, but commenting only on the windows, I see a possibility, ut I think that's not quite it. Are you looking at letting in more light without worrying about view (or while minimizing a not so great view)? Have you ever seen glass block in the splash? Or put your windows up higher than they are and make them longer -- similar to a transom over a door. More light, space for open shelves below if you want them and more skies in your view.

• mamadadapaige
    15 years ago

I like the inspiration pic in the Domino magazine a lot. So, if you kept your windows sitting on the shelf (are we thinking about 15" off the counter or so??), this would allow for a really cool tilebacksplash (or stainless, or whatever you had in mind) and save some $$$ of not having to tile the whole wall.

How wed are you to two sinks? this would be a place to save a lot of money, between the sink itself, the faucet, the extra work to template and cutout your countertop, the extra plumbing work, the extra garbage disposal (if you have one). This would probably add up to the price of putting in the new windows.

In my kitchen I considered a prep sink but my space is not big enough for it... there was really nowhere to put it, except the island which would have meant not having the MW in the island, or not having the bank of draws that are the most useful in my whole kitchen.

BUT, if I had the space, I would have LOVED to have a prep sink. just something else for you to consider.

btw, there is something a little awkward about the Domino ktichen's hood... seems too high and the shelf from the range, combined with the shelf on the wall, combined with the hood being up so high is a little off to me, BUT I love the feel of the kitchen.

• malhgold
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Can't install the windows any higher due to the header. They will have to start at 12" below the ceiling height. The thought to make them this size was to minimize the view, still have some light and allow a shelf. Plus, I think it's a slightly more modern look than the double hung. What if I made them wider?

One of the pet peeves in my kitchen now is prepping in the clean up sink. Maybe it's because my clean up sink isn't too large, but if there's pots/dishes in there I have to clean those first before prepping. Sometimes it's just not what I want to or have the time to be doing. The counter place said they don't charge for sink cut outs.

If I went with the range centered, would people prefer the clean up sink in the island(which would put it somewhat across from the range) or 2' to the right of the range? The clearance from range to island is 39".

• tigernyc
    15 years ago

Sorry about the job.

I would put it in the island.

IKEA cabinets may be another way of cutting costs (not sure if you have purchased cabs yet). I am putting mine in now and really like them, and super cheaper than any others...

• mamadadapaige
    15 years ago

malhgold,
    if the prep sink is going to be where you do most of your chopping, prepping, I'd keep it in the island, as I think 2' of space isn't much for prepping - it is what I had in my old kitchen and it never felt like enough. With my recent renovation, getting decent space between my range and sink was my #1 goal and it has been a dream when cooking/prepping. I think if your main work area is directly across from the range, this would be a nice set up. If the bigger sink to the right of the range is just for clean up, I don't see why you couldn't live with the 2' of space.

btw, I agree that the windows up a little higher have a nice modern feel and I like your idea.

if you go back to the one window concept, I would have to say that the triple window does not feel modern at all. not sure if you are still considering that but just wanted to weigh in.

• rhome410
    15 years ago

I agree with mamadadapaige about the prep sink.

Here is a view of the last idea with the wider windows you suggested...and accessories. ;-) I cut the tile at the shelf like you liked in a previous plan just to see. I think it gives the shelf more visual impact.

• bmorepanic
    15 years ago

What header are you referring to?

I'm trying to figure out why you have a header issue, but feel comfortable widening the window....

Can you try the windows with drywall casing and having the shelf match exactly the sill level?

Can you put a drywall covered block under the shelf where in intersects the stub wall?

Lastly, I think you're going to need something to keep that shelf in place - I don't think floating is going to be enough (could be wrong) because of its length and expected weight. Tie rods from the ceiling down? Corbels under? Columns? Again, I think, but am not sure, you'd need something that would end up being visible.

Not interested in something like raising the shelf a bit and doing a row of fixed glass at the counter? Or a row of boxes - say 13" wide and tall or maybe may patterns like a single one beside a stacked set of two? Or glass block in place of the tile?

• malhgold
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Bmore- it has always been my understanding(and I really could be wrong here), that the header in the wall comes down 12". That is why I am thinking that the windows can't go any higher. Where the left window is, there is currently a slider, so I don't think I'd have to install a new header. May need to do something on the right side as I don't think that new window would be exactly where the old one is.

I agree that those shelves are going to need brackets of some sort, which is fine with me.

When you say drywall casing, I'm assuming you mean just don't put any molding around the edge. That would work.

I had thought about mirroring the windows at the top with fixed glass at the bottom. Wonder what that would look like from the outside.

Could you explain what you meant by a "row of boxes"?

Thanks!

• bmorepanic
    15 years ago

Is the header supporting something above it? If the header is for the window, you can't make the window wider than it is now - unless you now have sash weight pockets.

I guess I'm asking if you want to play with the glass area? I'm thinking of stud spacing - which should be about 16" oc. You can fit about a 12"-13" square between the studs giving some small "box" glass and vary either the height of the pane, or stack squares to form patterns.

Here is a link that might be useful: Not for the hood, but for the shelf supports

• abbycat9990
    15 years ago

I tend to prep between the sink and the range, so I vote to maximize that space. The current window is small, but you could make it a feature by painting the trim a contrasting color, or doing a tile border around it or some such thing.

Good luck--I've watched your plan evolve and I cannot wait until we see demo and installation.

• kateskouros
    15 years ago

oh no... i'm so sorry mahlgold! i feel awful for you. the good news is i really like the kitchens. i prefer the symmetrical layout w/ the two windows (what i'm doing). i understand the thinking behind a long run of counter space, but you do have that large island as well. i'm also thinking if in the future you decided you needed more storage you could get two more uppers (oh, what a nasty word!) in on either side of each window. whatever you decide i'm sure you will love it. again, i'm very sorry about your job. things are not going well lately. i hope you're able to find something suitable. who knows? you may find yourself in a happier place after all the dust settles. best of luck to you, and i can't wait to see it all come together!