SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dyhgarden

Downsized in real life. Update on my 1939 living room.

DYH
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

There are pros and cons to downsizing. After my husband died, I sold our 4,000 sf house. The expenses of running my half-size 1939 house are 1/3 of the cost, but the furniture given away, only to buy "right-sized" furniture has been a big lump to swallow.

I used what I could (furniture, art, etc) and purchased usable, livable items where needed. I donated more items last week, but I have still more items in one bedroom waiting a decision. I tried to consign many of these items, but the consignment stores didn't want antiques.

Anyway...I received a lot of help here, so this is an update.

The skinny (12x21) living room is divided into three areas.

1) Conversation area. I gave away the big screen TV after cutting my cable, so now my love seat is against the wall. Two chairs and a coffee table finish off the conversation area in the middle of the room. 8x10 rug. I'm still searching for the right piece for the mantel, so the too-small botanical is just to warm up the blank space. Those are original sculptures on each side of the botanical, so those are important to me.

2) Back wall -- library/secretary. My grandfather's antique pie safe serves as a bookcase, as it has done for me since I was a child. An old rush bench bridges over the necessary floor intake. The new secretary that I love to use -- closes up to cover my pieces of paper. A leather swivel stool is easy to keep out of the way.

3) Front wall -- this was a dilemma that wore me out until last winter when a friend was posting her jigsaw puzzles on FaceBook. I loved solving puzzles with my mother, so I dragged my antique English pub table down from storage and added two rattan chairs. I love this space! I use it for puzzles, dining, after tea, using my notebook computer, drawing with my granddaughter, and making jewelry.

The living room is quirky. The floors aren't level. There are heat vents in the walls. The paneling is solid wood, but too dead to refinish, so it was primed and painted SW Glass of Milk. The ceiling is SW Tidewater.

Original oil paintings on the front wall are landscapes, and "heavy" green, so I grouped those around the table, adding an original pottery piece (had for many years) on an antique pedestal that I've had for 20 years.

There are original water colors on the back wall -- one small one over each piece. Botanicals from the 1700s are on the wall beside the secretary. A newer mixed media piece is over the sofa.

I had tried small tables with the chairs, but it was too much "small stuff" but the coffee table is usable from all the upholstered pieces.

Windows are now covered with custom wood plantation shutters. That was done in April.

View from the front vestibule:

View from front of room to the back:

From the back of the room to the front:

View from sunroom door to front of house:

Mantel with original sculptures but needing artwork (there are many art walks coming up in November and I plan to hunt for something). The pottery pieces on the coffee table are also original, so those will remain.

It's taken 1.5 years too get to this point -- mixing up old with new. It's comfortable for me and my guests. Even without a TV, it is used a lot because my visitors and I don't watch TV together...that's in the kitchen lounge where my grandkids watch cartoon movies while I make Sunday pancakes for them.

Thanks for all the help over the years!

Comments (110)