SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
grandms

Lost Windows 10 Start Menu

grandms
8 years ago

I recently upgraded to Windows 10 from Windows 7, and I installed Classic Shell so that I would have a familiar start menu. At the top had been a spot titled Windows 10 start menu, and I could click on that and switch to that. First, that stopped working, and then several other things stopped responding. So I uninstalled Classic Shell. But when I rebooted, I received a Critical Error notice that Start Menu and Cortana were not working and Windows would try to fix when I signed out. I signed out and back in and no joy. Did this several times. Even shut down and rebooted, but the same. So I finally resorted to doing a hard shutdown by pressing the power button on my tower. When I rebooted, there was the Windows 10 start menu with apps. However, when I booted up my computer this evening, the start menu had disappeared. I got the welcome screen, and my normal desktop appeared. I can open and use WLM, and my browsers work. But, I do no have a start menu. Also the notification area shows notifications, but I cannot open that. Then again I received the same error message as last evening about start menu and Cortana. I am at my wits' end. How can I restore the Windows 10 start menu?

Comments (6)