SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pinar_gw

Help - What to do with the narrow 6' gap in our upper cabinets

pinar
16 years ago

I posted this in the kitchen forum, too and got a few responses, which I am grateful for, but I would like to hear some of your ideas, too, since you seem to be so good with proportions, lines etc.

So, before I ask my question, let me explain the situation.

The wall containing our stove has a 12" bump out on the left side due to the shower in the bathroom.

Originally, before demo, we thought this bump out was 43" left to right, but it turned out to be 37". What we planned for this space was to leave the wall open and hang pots and pans and have a narrow 12" lower cabinet and countertop to the left of the stove. The lower cabinets are not a problem, since we gained the perfect room for a gas valve and can continue the counters backwards to fill the gap.

The upper cabinets were designed so that the hood and the over the hood cabinet would be flush with this bump out. Now, there will be a 6" gap between where the cabinet and the hood ends and the bump out starts.

The cabinets already arrived. But, we can order matching pieces to figure out our problem.

Now the sides of the stove were asymmetric to begin with, now they will be more so.

The wall to the left corner has 12" upper cabinets butting up to the bump out. So, this leaves about 24" bare wall after them up top, then a 6" gap, then the hood and the hood cabinet. Down below, we will have a 12" cabinet, the counter will goo all the way to the stove and turn the corner around the bump out giving me 6" space to the left of the stove going all the way back.

On the bare wall, I would like to put a pot rack and display some copper pans, however, now that it is so narrow, it seems very difficult to find a pot rack appropriate for the size, but I assume that can go custom.

The options we are considering to fill this gap:

- Built-in shelves, painted wall color (to display a decorative object)

- Built-in shelves, cabinet material (quarter-sewn oak)(to display a decorative object)

- Fake apothecary drawers hiding a spice holder pull out, (but I wouldn't want to store spices there as they would go bad, so I don't know what I would save there)

In each case, it is also a question, how low these should go. Should it be 18" over the counter to match the other upper cabinets or should it be 30" of to match the hood line.

I can see problems with each case and i don't know what to do with a 6" upper cabinet space. Do you see any of these work? Do you have any suggestions?

I am mostly concerned about the looks. I am worried that a 6" piece is not going to hold its weight.

Here is a picture I found that used 6" cupboards, but the layout has nothing to do with ours

http://www.kempercabinets.com/images/products/rooms/313x220/CopleyOCoS.K.jpg

However, I was thinking, I could hang a simple pot rack lining up with the bottom of our hood and then another, lining up with the bottom of the hood cabinet on the bare wall to continue the lines perhaps. I don't really know, please help.

Thank you so much!

Pinar

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:1899227}}

Comments (23)