SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
madeline616_gw

Please help me design a narrow cabinet!!

Madeline616
11 years ago

Hi all,

So, a last-minute decision to add a second stacked row of "little square" glass front upper cabinets resulted in some cockamamie asymmetry in the upper cabinets that flank the range hood (pic below).

My awesome contractor agreed that it looks quirky/unbalanced/asymmetrical and told me he'd remove and rebuild whatever sections necessary.

The plan is to remove and replace the uppers to the right of the stove (when facing stove), and to remove the entire microwave tower.

The drawing below shows (in red) the new glass-fronted uppers that'll be identical to the uppers on the left of the range, and the new lower, where we'll do a micro drawer instead of the micro tower.

As you can see in my (really professional!!) drawing, we end up with a very narrow (about 12") space for another upper cabinet.

So, everything drawn in red will be the new cabs, and the green area is the project in question.

What should I do with the space?? The possibilities are endless.

I know I want to make it a bit of a design element of it's own, so I'll probably bump it out 3-4".

Big questions:

1) Should I extend it all the way to the countertop, (as shown in pic), or just have it the same size (height-wise) as the other uppers?

2) Should I do the whole thing as a glass front, should I use leaded glass, Waterglass, those pretty metal grilles, mullions, or other decorative glass to make it a feature of it's own?

3) What to do with the very top, where a tiny square upper cabinet will probably go? Glass front? Not a separate little square cabinet, but just one tall cabinet of some kind?

4) How to tie the look in with the rest of the cabs?

5) Functionally, do you have any ideas? A pull out pantry for spices and oils? Just a narrow cabinet with a little door?

Thanks thanks thanks!!!

Madeline :)

Comments (14)