SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
meg711_gw

Pls put me out of my misery: which rug (long)

meg711
16 years ago

I think the family room/eating area/kitchen (the "back" of the house) is just about taken care of, vision-wise. Basically the color scheme is now embracing the medium-stained cabinetry and the slate fireplace; the colors will be tones of blue, brown and amber/ginger/bronze. (Just don't call it rust to DH.)

The most recent choice for the livingroom rug was rejected as being nothing special. I loved the sky blue of the border, an unusual color for traditional rugs, but the interior field made most fabrics go yellow or gray--something off. I also would have had to wait five months for it.

So here are the latest two contenders. The first is a new rug. I think this photo is from the light side, although IRL it's not as vivid. Its border is a reddish brown, and the blue is pretty close to the blue in the family room and diningroom, FWIW. But there's also gold, which we really aren't using anywhere. The rug sort of glows:

This is the second choice, an older rug that needs some work:

It, too, is not photographing accurately. It's actually bronze, chocolate, indigo and aqua--colors I didn't think were popular 80 years ago. It looks beautiful in the light although I have no idea what color furniture I would use with it.

So should I (gulp!) buy both and have them shipped to see how they look? I know myself well enough that even if I get one and love it, I will have doubts about whether the other would have been better. And given the way the lighting here changes rugs so much, it's a quandry.

I keep thinking ahead to what I could find for the entry hall rug to go with either of these rugs. And what color furniture could I use that help with the flow to the back of the house--but not use identical colored couches. Sheesh! How do you all do this?!?!

What would you do? Please tell me and put me out of my misery!!!!

Comments (32)

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville