SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
maryannlucia

Long narrow room rug & furniture multiple doors driving me nuts!

Mary Baro
5 years ago

My family room is driving me batty! It's 27' long x 13.5' wide and 9.5' wide at fireplace hearth which takes up most of one wall. The main issue is the pass through from the back hall entry to the kitchen. There are three interior doorways and French doors at one end. I'd like to improve the furniture placement by replacing the wide leather chair with something more updated and have my eye on a swivel chair. Additionally, I'm feeling the need for an area rug in the large traffic path but not sure if it makes sense or relates to anything without just floating. The sofa has to stay and I just purchased the large 9 x 12 rug but intend to refinish the floors, upgrade the drapes, media cabinet, and am open to removing other items. What would you do with this room? Should I put a rug in the traffic path from back hall to kitchen? Any design suggestions to help pull this mess together would be most appreciated :) Thanks!!

View of back entry to kitchen. 10' from back of chair to French doors. 9' from front of chest to desk on opposite side of room.

9.5' from wall to front of fireplace.

27' overall room length

Rug?

view to kitchen

doorway to front hall

Comments (24)