SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chris_ont

Help with Color for wainscoting - pics

chris_ont
13 years ago

Hi

I need some advice because I'm a big chicken.

I have a small 7x12 bedroom being used as a home office. It has wainscoting on all sides.

The wainscoting is not in great shape. However, these walls are plaster and I'm afraid what I'll find behind the wood if I tore it out. And I actually like the cozy feel that the wainscoting adds to the den so it might as well stay.

I would like to paint the wainscoting. My first thought is to paint it the colour of the main office furniture, which is a common very dark cherry. So this would make the wainscoting very dark (I'm also playing with the idea of painting the floor, which is also not in good shape but can't be replaced right now.)

I'm trying to visualize this and am not having much luck. Would this make the room look cramped? I wanted to let the furniture sort of blend into this, rather than contrast against a light-coloured wall.

And what to do with the wall above the wainscot? I am considering wall paper, perhaps something textured in grey-blue tones to complement the dark cherry. I don't want the room to look formal because of an eclectic collection of art and books that tend to end up in there.

Finally, the trim of the window and door is white, and there is a wood bi-fold closet door in the room. If I paint the wainscoting it would seem odd to keep the trim white, would it not?

Does anyone have any images or sites that show ideas for painting wainscoting?

Any advice? I'm really too undecided to proceed from here.

Chris

Comments (6)