SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
susanlynn2012

Lamp Choice Help Needed: Crystal Vs. Satin Brass

susanlynn2012
16 years ago

I love my new serene peaceful bedroom and after taking these pictures, I realize that either lamp looks nice.

I need help in deciding if I should return my satin brass lamps with the nice two chains on the sides that are easy to reach for me in bed (but the base of the table lamp is 7" and takes up a lot of room on my 18" diameter iron rustic ivory table) or keep them and just buy different lamp shades in white, off-white or a light white cream rather than the gold ivory padded lamp shades that give a soft light but at 120 watts gives less light than a 60 watt bulb with a white shade.

I actually like the lamp shades but maybe they do not go with my decor since a few people had mentioned that crystal lamps would look better.

I have pics of the crystal lamps and a description. The lamp I wanted in a 28" size that matches the 22" lamp with the small base (5.25" for the 28" size and 5" for the 22" size) and a slender body and a white lamp shade would need to be ordered since it was not in stock. Hence, I brought home three crystal lamps that were in stock for comparison on size, heights around my bed, and looks.

I have typed descriptions next to each picture to explain more for those that have some time or you can just do a slide show to see everything with just a partial title description.

P.S. Please excuse the pics of the bed unmade.

P.S.S. The last two pics show the bed made up with all decorative pillows taken at the beginning of August 2007.

Here is a link that might be useful: Crystal Vs. Satin Brass Vs. Lamp Shade Comparison

Comments (123)

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Uggh, I really have to get back to what I'm supposed to be doing! This has been such a great diversion though :)

We had to postpone our Christmas Eve dinner until after the New Year. So, here I am, stuffing my face with goodies that will give me a migraine tomorrow :

• susanlynn2012
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Organic, I am supposed to be cleaning my home for guests tomorrow but instead I am obsessed with making my bedroom beautiful. I thought I would check posts as I ate dinner and here am still. :)

That must be fun to babysit 6 rabbits and 2 cats if they are all friendly and adorable. Bear tracks in the winter time? It must be beautiful in Western MA at this time of the year.

squirrel, I love my blinds open in the day time to get a lot of light coming into my bedroom as I do laundry whle I do my work. The paint color is very washed out in the day time looking like white with a tad of lemon in it. It is always a happy color like you told me. I also found out before my room was dingy feeling due to the linen white ceiling color. The bright white ceiling really adds to the brightness of my bedroom and I love it not looking like I have dirty walls anymore but I just just wish the paint color was a tad less lemon and a little darker but not by a lot. I like the little bit of golden in the color at night. The color matches BM Navajo White in formula with just a tad more yellow and a tad less gray. They are so similar and if I knew this, I would have used BM Navajo White to get a slighly deeper color. I was suprised that the formulas were so identical. I no longer mind the color.

But you did show me deeper paint colors on my bedroom walls that looked better but once I made up my mind about liking the "jumping into a bowl of French Vanilla Ice-Cream" analogy you mentioned about the feeling you get from looking at the color in your friend's basement, I was hooked. :) I love French Vanilla Ice-Cream. I guess then I was also afraid to go darker but seeing my family room done in the BM Bone White on all the walls now, I see, I could have gone a little darker.

• Related Discussions

Satin Brass & Antique Brass Lamps- outdated or still in style?

Q

Comments (18)
    I would have put the lamps in my storage room (spare bedroom filled with 4 book cases and three 4-drawer putty cabinets) for extra lighting if they were very outdated. I guess I want my home to look nice as I am fixing it up. I like them too much to part with them and keep hoping one day to have a bigger place to have one more room to decorate. I still love the lamps but wish I had white lamps for my guest/exercise room but since these are still nice( bought them last year.... think September 2007), I will make do. SInce I bought the white wicker dresser in that room, I guess I was hoping to make it more white. Should I keep the lamps shades or get white ones? The cream shades really do go well with the brass lamp. I already spent so much on my new Durham Solid Wood Sand White finish bedroom set and now my new air conditioner/heating/compressor unit since my old one just died on me and caused a flood in my home two weeks ago. It was so expensive. I had planned to use the money for hardwood floors but now I can't do that for another year.
    ...See More

Final Choices...help with fan

Q

Comments (19)
    OH I am not at all against fans. LOL One house we put one in every room and TWO in the kitchen. The only rooms missing ceiling fans was laundry and bathroom. Neither had room for one as they were too small. We had the manufactures home builder add the wiring for two ceiling fans one in living room and one in our bedroom. I can always change the chandy in the dinning room for another fan but it is the ONE light fixture my husband likes so it will stay. What I did do was buy two ceiling fans that matched the light fixtures that came with the house. AND THEN I got rid of all but two of them ROFLMBO. Well it is fine I have four lights kind of in a row that all match or are same glass in the shades. The light over the kitchen sink was not good for me and I found the one we have now at the DUMP. I love it and have never seen one with a downward facing light like this one has. You can turn one or the other lights on or both at the same time and that is the way I leave it. I have a crystal chandy in my studio because it has wonderful light. And three task lights one on glass cutting table one at grinder and one on my desk. And an antique light similar to the kitchen light in my sewing room. Yep I would say I am a person of lights. Here is a link that might be useful: And wow my kitchen was boring then. We had just moved in a few months before.
    ...See More

Please help! Need your opinion with tile choice!

Q

Comments (18)
    You are right about the colors in the inspiration room rug pulling in all the colors of the room. Somehow I either overlooked it or didn't want to admit it. How does the saying go..."sometimes you don't see the forest because the trees are in the way"...haha... Anyway, I just fell in love with the stone medallion rug and was offered it for a great price because it was a return to a local place that makes them. It isn't the colors that I would have chosen, but I was trying to force it to work. It has no grout because it is made with a compouter controled water jet and all the pieces fit tightly together to form one big solid piece. It's really lovely, but you are right, the colors aren't the best for the design. I have changed original design a bit because I felt it was too Tuscan/Mediterranean for the house. I am using more rustic wood instead of so much cast concrete..though I am using the cast corbles that flank the radius ceiling. I wanted it to feel casual and rustic French, but with an elegant touch of "jewelry" that the crystal and possibly some glass tile accents would bring. The color swatch under the sink is such a bad representation of the vanity color! I attached a photo of a premade cabinet in a similar color and style to what I am having made. The wall color has not been determined yet. Any suggestions?! Thanks again! Your advice is really helping me see this from a different prespective. Did I mention I am a bit over my head with this project? This monster spec house has 10 bathrooms and not enough budget! I'll post some pictures as the project progresses.
    ...See More

Help! White Kitchen, dark counter and gold/brass fixtures???

Q

Comments (14)
    I agree with keeping the cabinets in a wood tone vs white. Although this kitchen in all white would be sharp. I'd wait to replace the appliances (all stainless would be my choice over white even if you paint the cabinets white) as I think with a new island and new flooring they will become non issues. I would use a lighter countertop on the new island to create drama. While you may like the mirrored look tile, you may benefit from using a glass tile(not ceramic) instead of mirror. Number 1 you can leave the backsplash and 2 you can introduce color with even solid colored glass tile. You didn't mention if you have under cabinet lighting?? With under cabinet lighting and glass tile you'd be introducing both bling and brightness. Add a nice vintage looking hanging light over your new island and something similar over the sink that is similar looking but smaller in scale. Hard to see what you have for pulls and knobs but they look like they are white porcelain. There are lots of beautiful pulls and knobs that might add brightness to your cabinets also. Another idea would be to only paint the cabinets by the frig and the island white. Not a really stark white but something that would compliment the wood in the cabinets. If you chose this option - I'd replace all the appliances to stainless. Could you install a drawer microwave in the island? It would really break up the look of ALL those cabinets if you put the microwave into island and put in a nice hood. You could remove the cabinet above the present microwave or leave it ( I'd remove it.) Behind the stove you could then install a design tile to create focal interest. Congrats on your new place.
    ...See More
  • squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

I think I like a creamier color in there. Isn't the Navajo White more of a beige, neutral white?

• threedgrad
    16 years ago

I am babysitting my daughter's dog until she gets here Dec 26th. I am rearranging my dining room wall art tonight. Plus I bought a wreath at Michaels after I went to church at 4pm. I found some large white lights with some blinker bulbs and hung that outside in the center of my front windows. Luckily the extension cord squeezed in the crack of the metal security screen door and under the wood entry door.

Church was wonderful although I had to stand the entire time along the side wall. Wow, was it crowded. The wonderful duet singers this parish has really outdid themselves tonight. The male tenor's voice was just glorious. I made a point of thanking them after mass. I plan on also going to mass tomorrow morning but I better get there 1/2 hour before start time just to get a seat and a parking place.

Wow, organic, bear tracks? That is scary! Maybe that bear can smell all those rabbits - lunch he is thinking!

I miss having my children here but their grandmother, their dad's mom, has terminal brain cancer and this is most likely her last Christmas, according to the doctors. So they both went to WI. Plus my good friend Jody called and left a message this morning - her adoptive father died at 9:15am today in WI. I know I needed to pray a lot these days.

Merry Christmas! Have a wonderful and blessed day!

Eileen in AZ

• susanlynn2012
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Squirrel, I had thought the Navajo white would be more of a beige but it is golden in my Master Bathroom and a little darker than the Deep Cream but not by much.

I am thinking BM Navajo White is too close in color to the Deep Cream and if I am going to repaint my bedroom it should be either more neutral in color and deeper or more cream without the lemon in it and a little darker in color. I have grown to like the Ralph Lauren deep cream paint color but it is a little light for my bedroom and I do not think it is the best color for the walls with my furniture and the light in the day time. I wonder if I should have just painted my bedroom the BM Bone White that is really a neutral golden color in my family room. I just saw some orange when I had the Oak furniture in there. I am learning paint picks up colors around it.

• susanlynn2012
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Eileen (threedgrad), Merry Chistmas Eve! Sorry you are home babysitting also but hopefully your daughter's doggie is lovable and fun to babysit. It sounds like Church was enjoyable and that is good but get there earlier next time if you want a seat. :)

I am sorry about your children's grandmother having cancer but it is good your children are with her now. I am sorry about your friend's adoptive father passing away today. Yes, you had a lot to pray for today.

I still love your black shade and that adorable lamp. My family room is very modern. I have eclectic taste. I guess I fell in love with the Shabby Chic serene look and I was trying for it in my bedroom but instead I got my own unique peaceful look which is nice also. I appreciate the pictures. I am still thinking of the little lamp you shown for one of my rooms since I love it so much.

• susanlynn2012
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Organic, Yes, that is the problem that I have no overhead lighting in my bedroom and need light there to do laundry at night since sometimes I have no time to do it in the day time and that is why I was at first aiming for lamps on my bedside tables to have real light and light that can be made less or more since the bedroom has no light anywhere at all. Thanks for now understanding.

That little cute crystal lamp on the iron table has only 60 watts. The brass lamps I had there that I was ready to keep and change the shades to cuter smaller shades that were white have two 60 watt bulbs each and can be 60 or 120 watts each. The bigger 28" crystal lamps have three way switches with 150 watts. I still love those antique little shabby chic lamps and if I got them, I may need another light somewhere in the room. I thought if they would look cute on my dresser, that would be nice also but they are adorable on the junior chest next to my bed. I wonder what the maximum wattage is on those lamps?

I see now why the other townhouse with the overhead lights put in by the electrician in each room was listed for $30,000 more 10 years ago than my townhouse. It sold above asking price.

Many of my ceilings have cathedral despite the rooms themselves not cathedral ceiling but the wall is a regular size wall otherwise at 94" high. My master bathroom has a slanted high ceiling and my family room has a full cathedral ceiling. I wish my home office had overhead lighting but it does not and it cost a lot to put in with the popcorn ceilings since one electrician said he would not do it and the other told me it would be costly. None of my rooms have overhead lighting except for the kitchen, laundry room and dining room. My dining room only has a 60 watt bulb.

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

I don't think I'd want overhead lights in my rooms, unless it's for a specific feature like a chandelier or something. It feels more contemporary or commercial to me. Maybe reminds me of an apartment or something, with the lighting built in. I did put a ceiling fan in my bedroom about 10 years ago, which these days outta be a chandy I suppose. A fan is nice but the motor is stuck on high now! So, now I just have this big thing on my ceiling that I probably won't want there anymore and it's gotta go and will probably leave a mess behind. Maybe a lantern! if I move the bed.

• susanlynn2012
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I wish I had an overhead light in my home office at least but I guess if there was a light in my bedroom ceiling I would not be able to change the bulb myself unless I had a fancy type of chandelier that is very expensive that can go up and down at the touch of a button. So maybe you are right Squirrel that I do not need overhead lighting.

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

True for areas like an office or kitchen or laundry room where one needs good general lighting for working. But, try not to think of your bedroom as a laundry room! lol.

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

Or for safety, like in halls and stairwells ... :)

I'd rather just schedule my ironing during the day with all that natural light. Or use the family room.

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

Here's another pretty little thing on eBay, similar to what you've been looking for. It's only 11" I think it said, though. The glass looks nice and clear/sparkly on it.

• theroselvr
    16 years ago

Back in late 2005 / 2006, Target had a bunch of stuff that would go great with your bed. I picked up the curtain rods for my parents house.

I'm not nuts about the satin brass finish for the room, the lamps I like best are the pic labled 8-1-07 Pic of my bed made up with the pretty matching ivory bedding.. I like the lamp on the left but feel it's too "chubby" for the room.

In no special order.. all from Target

Table Lamp with Pearly Base - Antique Gold

{{gwi:1893812}}

Ornate Table Lamp - White
    {{gwi:1893814}}

30.5" Bead & Brocade Table Lamp
    {{gwi:1893815}}

Mountain Mist Accent Lamp - might also be too chubby
    {{gwi:1893817}}

Table Lamps Set of 2 - Antique Silver Finish
    {{gwi:1893818}}

Chandelier Table Lamp
    g{{gwi:1893820}}

3-pc. Lamp Set
    {{gwi:1893822}}

Glass and Brushed Steel
    {{gwi:1893823}}

Textured Bronze-Finish
    {{gwi:1893824}}

• allison0704
    16 years ago

I'm not crazy about the short lamps on the long dresser w/mirror. If you did lamps there, I think they should be a little over half as tall as the mirror.

Lynn, earlier you mentioned the outlets are switched on/off with the wall switch. Are you sure it's both outlets in the plugs? Usually, only one outlet in a plug is switched at the wall, leaving the other to work all the time.

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

Lynn said the lamps in the virtual are actually about half their actual size, so here they are doubled to 11+ inches. I think they look great. Tried some pics to the side of the mirror, but just wasn't getting them to look good.

I like the light airy feeling during the daytime -- just add some touches of color and fill things out a bit.

I really must be moving along :) HTH!

{{gwi:1893826}}

• susanlynn2012
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Allison, Roselvr, Squirrel & everyone else that has been trying to help or reading these posts, thank you for your posts and help.

I agree with Allison that the adorable litle crystal lamps are too small for the double dresser with my mirror. I am almost thinking they may be too low to give enough light for my bedroom on my junior chest by my bed despite being so adorable.

The new 22" lamp with the crystal skinny bulbs looks adorable there and it is in the proportion Allison is discussing if you don't count the decorative top of the mirror. That lamp is 22". I think that dresser needs a thin lamp and maybe even a little taller one but the lamp from Fortunoff looks nice there and maybe my bedroom will just be a modern Shabby Chic type of bedroom. :)

Allison, it is unfortunate that whoever designed my home made both plugs in each outlet work with the light switch. I just tried it again before posting. But when Les brought this up, I decided to make the lamp next to my bed go into the extension cord attached to the wall behind my tall chest of drawers so I can turn it off and on from my bed. Hence, only the lamp by the bigger bed side table now can be turned off and on by the wall switch when I walk into the room. The extension cord (a type of thin surge protector) now also has my clock radio plugged into it. Les was a big help with this by mentioning it to me.

Thank goodness whoever did the electrical work for the builder of my townhouse had only one of the plugs work on the two plugs to one outlet in my exercise/storage spare bedroom so I can plug my stereo into the plug that does not work with the light switch and plug the lamp into the plug that works with the light switch.

I still love those cute little Shabby Chic Lamps and keep trying to figure out where they can go in my house. The shades are 5" tall and can be bought separately from the seller. He rewired the lamps himself to take a 45 to 60 watt candlestick type of skinny lightbulb that the shade clips onto.

• susanlynn2012
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Squirrel, Now the lamps do not look too small and are adorable. I will see what Allison and others say in terms of their height. I wish their price was less so then if they did not work out, I would find a place in my spare room since they are so cute. I wonder what color the fringe is on the lamp shades? I wonder if that is bronze inside the crystal of the lamps? In the pictures they are adorable. I sure wish they were about 22" high with the lamps shades but since they are 10.5" highout the lamps shade that clips onto the light bulb, they are probably about 12.5" high at the most.

Squirrel, you did a wonderful job in making the lamps more proportional to their actual size and they are cute.

I think I like my Armoire without anything on it and clean and uncluttered I am finding out. I think I am a modern type of Shabby Chic girl. :)

I have so much to do today but will be checking posts on and off. I have to put my bid in before bed if I feel the lamps can work in my home somewhere since they are so cute. The lamps have a reserve that if not met, no one gets the lamps and the seller resubmits them for auction for many more days. There is someone already bidding on them but I do not know her maximum bid. There are another pair of lamps only 7.5" high that could be put on shelves for display in the room near a plug outlet but they are so small that I think the taller 10.5" high lamps are more practical.

Everyone have a Merry Christmas!

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

Lynn, if you should decide not to bid, maybe post here in case someone else is interseted in them after seeing them here. (I doubt I will as I'm unclear on my lighting now.)

I like the stuff on the armoire! Softens it up and adds some color :)

You are way too picky! :) Don't analyze it all so much.

• susanlynn2012
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Squirrel, I still am in love with the lamps and I may buy them and if they do not work in my bedroom, I will put them in my spare room since they are adorable. I just want others opinions on these new adorable pics. I sure wish they were about 22" tall and then I would put one on my double dresser and one on my bigger bedside table. But this picture is very cute now with the two lamps sized more correctly on my double dressr and I love the crystals.

• patricianat
    16 years ago

I think the lamps are darling but would they not look more appropriate on a dressing table, more proportional to their size? I think they would be darling in a dark little niche, like a corner in my kitchen. Hey, wait, Lynn, I am not going to buy them. They are darling. My girlfriend has these or very similar lamps to these on her little daughter's dressing table and they are precious.

Lynn, I bet if you buy them and they do not work, you could find a great place for them. How cute they would be on a vanity in the bathroom in a dark corner, just to lighten it up.

I have a small crystal lamp about the same size on my baker's rack and it is precious at night. Just gives off the right amount of light and casts shadows of the plants.

• susanlynn2012
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you Pat for agreeing with me that the lamps are darling and would look better on a smaller dressing table. Thanks for sharing where you have seen similar adorable little lamps.

I love them but I have a feeling that taller lamps like two of the 22" crystal lamps would look best on my chest of drawers due to their height since my bedroom is a modern type of Shabby Chic room anyway. But then again, they may look perfect there in person and I will never know unless they are here.

I do love these lamps and I am still thinking of buying them to see if I can find someplace in my bedroom or home for them. That is the type of shade I wanted for my crystal lamps in my bedroom.

If my bathroom was not so modern, I would love to put one on each corner of my vanity and I could turn on one of the lamps when I had to go to the bathroom rather than my big light.

I am also thinking they would look cute in my spare room on the oak dresser (I could cover it with a shabby chic table lace runner and add some style to that exercise/personal files/sock storage/winter gloves and hats, etc. storage room. The room has white sheer horizontal blinds on the windows right now.

Hence, since I really love the lamps, I want to bid on them and hope I win but if do not, then it was not meant to be.

Thank you Pat for your input that I agree with.

• susanlynn2012
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Roselvr, I like this Chandalier Table Lamp from Target you sent a picture of. If I lose the auction for the pair of vintage lamps, I am going to call Target to find out the wattage of the bulbs of their Chandalier Table Lamp for my spare bedroom that I use as an exercise/storage room. Thank you again for showing me what cute lamps Target has.

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

I see you won them -- for only $40!

Gotta know what Organic would have bid :)

• susanlynn2012
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi Squirrel, I was up until 4 AM due to the bidding of the lamps ending at 2:30 AM and then at first getting upset that the picture on the top of both EBay ads was of the smaller lamp that fit the shade better. But I wanted the taller lamp so I will be happy and the seller and his wife were so nice to explain that they did not have an antique lamp shade and they just bought the shades at Target to show off their adorable lamps.

The first picture on both listings is of the smaller lamps that fit the lamp shades perfectly. So if you look farther down on the listing for the bigger 10.5" lamps, you see the lamp shade does not cover the switch and light switch pole totally (only covers on the smaller 7.5" lamp that is still for sale on EBAY).

But after printing in color the enlarged pictures that are of the 5" height lamp shade and looking online for a lamp shade only 6" in height with a cute style, I see I am getting more behind in my work and need sleep and 6" in height lamp shades are rare.

I was sent close up pics of the lamp shades tonight (that I had thought were antique and there were a pair for each lamp.... wrong) and they are cute but with the rich crystal on the beautiful lamp, the plastic dangles on the shades look cheap. But maybe they will be nicer in person. I love the shape of the lamp shade and I will be happy since I want to use the lamps right away.

I am happy with the look of the adorable lamps themselves and the seller, Dan does great work seeing that he takes old lamp parts and creates these masterpieces and rewires them. The lamp shades were bought at Target so he was only charging me only what he paid for them and they are fairly new. The Target near me did not have anything like them and most of their shades are too big for the lamp. The seller is in California.

I finally decided to buy the lamp shades (were initially not for sale until I asked before bidding on the lamp and they are an extra $15.00 with $15.85 to ship everything) despite them being about 1 inch too short in height since for the $15 extra, I will at least have shades so I can use the lamps right away and not waste more time looking for shades right now. One day I will have time after all these deadlines get done to find shades I like a little better. I am very behind in my work since it takes me so long to pick anything out since I think I need to see things in my room before making a decision.

I will tell everyone all about the lamps and the lamp shades when they arrive. Hope this posting makes sense since I again am up at almost 2 AM and this must be my last night up since I promised myself to be in bed by 11 PM every night as my New Year's Resolution.

Here is a link to the smaller lamps that are still for sale on EBay and the listing ends tomorrow so if you want them bid now since the $40 reserve has been reached and their is only one person bidding on them. They are so cute. Wish I had room for them also.

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

I noticed that at the end, too, when looking at the smaller lamps. They used the pic of the smaller lamps for both sales (or something like that). Confusing as I didn't notice it at first. So, I used the smaller lamp shape in the virtuals (the sphere had a different shape).

I guess I wouldn't waste $15 on new shades that don't fit but would just go to a lamp shop and see what they have or can order.

That's another thing to watch out for on eBay -- often the same pic will be used to sell multiple items. When you're buying old or distressed things, it's not an accurate description and what you love about the piece might come through totally different.

Well, you certainly got a good bargain on lamps! I'd love to know what Organic would have bid :)

• susanlynn2012
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I bought the lamp shades also when I could not find any cute lamps shades that were 6 inches with no fringe or 5.5" with fringe. The lamp shades on the lamps are 5" in height. I decided to get the lamp shades and if I like them better in person, then I will be happy. If I do not like them in person, then I will wait to look around when I am through with several deadlines. I have a feeling they are going to be cuter in person than the bigger pics the seller sent to me. I do love the lamp.

I feel sad that the smaller 7.5" lamps sold. I wanted them also but I have the bigger ones so I thought I would let the other person have those smaller very cute lamps for $40 since she wanted the ones I bought but gave up bidding when it reached $40 and jumped onto the smaller lamps and now paid only $40. The smaller lamps will be easier to find shades for since there are more shades 4.5" to 5" in height than 5.5" to 6" in height which is what my 10.5" lamp needs.

• theroselvr
    16 years ago

Lynn, if I'm reading right, you won the larger lamps?

I just looked at both auctions, can't believe they used the same photo for both :(

Looks like a possible reseller won the smaller lamps. Shame you didn't win those too. Put the seller in your favorites, maybe he will offer similar lamps eventually if you feel you need more, or who knows, maybe he can custom make more?

I like the shades he used and also would have bought them. Buying lamp shades is something I so dislike doing! I can think of better things to do with my days. I must have tons of them in the attic, ones I bought, opened & used for a few weeks then hated them.

If you do find shades you like better without beads, and you like the beads, you can buy them from Walmart. If you look at this picture of my computer room, you can see I beaded the lamp shade. I bought glue called fabrictack which is a quick set glue. You can't see the detail of the beads but they are pink & green, looks so good in person.

Let us know how you like the lamps once you get them.

• susanlynn2012
    Original Author
    16 years ago

roselvr, Oh how I wish you mentioned earlier that maybe I should have bought the little lamps also. Since there was over 2 days left of the auction and her highest bid of $40 just hit the reserve. I kept thinking, I should jump in at the last minutes with a higher amount to win them also but thought why would I need almost identical lamps to the ones I have. But I wish I did bid on them also since the smaller ones may have looked adorable on my Chest of Drawers. Yes, the winner was a reseller since I noticed it when she jumped onto the other lamps. I then wrote the seller, and wanted him to ask her if she wanted the bigger lamps and I would take the smaller lamps. But I see now, I should have bought both and then at least had lamps shades that went well with one of the sets and I could find use for all of the lamps. That is why I need more sleep so I can think logically. I was just so upset and up until 4 or 5 AM that morning due to the adrenaline rush from wining at 2:30 AM and then finding out that the same small picture was used for both.

I love the size of the smaller lamps better but I liked the prettier crystal base better of the bigger lamp and it looked like all the crystals were there on the bigger lamp and none were missing.

Now I feel sad since it was a thought of mine to bid on the other ones also and despite not being rich, some things are important to me and I loved both lamps sets and it would have been easy to resell one if I needed to. Lately, I am finding out having things around me that I adore makes me happy.

I paid priority on the lamps with insurance to lessen the chance of them coming here broken. So if they arrive and I love them so much but the shades still look small to me in person, maybe I will ask the seller if he ever makes 7.5" high lamps again that will fit those shades that look like the other lamps to contact me before putting them on EBay since then I can maybe buy them direct. For now, I will see what my lamps look like in person.

Thanks for understanding why I was upset at first.

roselvr, your computer area is adorable so I can see you love the shabby chic/country look also.

• theroselvr
    16 years ago

Lynn, after you mentioned the ebay lamps, I went up to find them because I'd missed them when I 1st read the post.. I was clicking links and wondered why the same lamp was shown twice. It wasn't until it was mentioned they were different sizes that I took a closer look at the links yesterday.

Now I feel sad since it was a thought of mine to bid on the other ones also and despite not being rich, some things are important to me and I loved both lamps sets and it would have been easy to resell one if I needed to. Lately, I am finding out having things around me that I adore makes me happy.

Don't beat yourself up. Visually, I like the larger ones, I think they will look great. The small ones looked like they might also be nice in the room, but it's just more stuff to clean. I think you're lucky to have even gotten the ones you did with that reseller buying. Who knows how high they would have gone? In the end, you focused on the ones you wanted and actually won them, which is more then I can say about some of the stuff I recently bid on. One person seemed to follow me around and bid on every thing I did. At one point, hubby & I knew we would be sleeping when the auction was ending.. we threw a pretty high bid in, raising the price pretty much. This person didn't disappoint, bid higher then me & won. If I couldn't have them, they were going to spend money. By the 2nd weekend of bidding, she let off a bit.. guess she was tired of spending so much money.

roselvr, your computer area is adorable so I can see you love the shabby chic/country look also.

The house is for sale so most of my stuff is packed. I love buying stuff & displaying it, and feel the room is a bit bare for my tastes. Can't wait to get to the new house & unpack my stuff.. I'm sure I'll need lots of help tying it all together.

I need a new desk, but this one works for the way I sit. I also build computers, so there could be more then the two that are there now. I also found more of those boxes, with some of my furniture gone, they're holding computer parts lol

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

Here's a shade in a variety of sizes. No idea of cost.

• susanlynn2012
    Original Author
    16 years ago

roselvr, Thanks for letting me know that visually you like the larger lamps better since I did too since I liked the base better that was all crystal.

I am glad at least you made the other bidder pay a lot since she seemed to want to bid on everything you did. This is my first time bidding against someone and it was an experience.

Good luck with your home sale. All of us on this decorating list can't wait to help you out in tying it all together in your new home.

• andreaintx
    16 years ago

Lynn,

I jumped on here way late. Thanksgiving, Hanukkah and Christmas at my house in addition to finalizing the kitchen remodel has made it hard to jump on like I had before. I think your bedroom turned out beautiful. How did your lamps turn out?

• susanlynn2012
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Squirrel, Thanks for the link of the lamp shades in case I need them in the future for bigger lamps. They only have a 6.5" height lamp shade and not a 6.0", and 6.5" is too big since it will hide that pretty top of the stem crystal piece. I would be happy even with a 5.5" so more is covered but prefer a 6" shade but it looks like I will now most likely be able to accept the 5" shade they come with unless I find something better. The lamps shades are 5" and now I am glad I bought the since I can't find anything their size as cute despite being a little small for the lamps. I may use these lamps in my spare room since despite loving them, I need light in my Master Bedroom. I am glad I won them since I just started to love this Shabby Chic look these past two years and those lamps are just adorable.

andreaintx, Thanks for the compliments on my bedroom. I am still waiting for the shipment of the EBay cute little lamps. The two other lamps I ordered from Fortunoff arrived so I am deciding on them and will in the next 30 minutes post pictures to ask opinions. I may start a new post since others may miss my new question on these two new lamps which were my favorite from the beginning but they were not in stock in the store. I liked them (Madie 26.25" high and Kara 28.5" high) due to the 5.5" smaller crystal base while the Riley (27.5" high)has a 6.5" base and my little table has hardly any room as it is. The Hannah (the 22" high crystal lamp with the silver base has a 5" base).

My satin brass table lamp had a 7" base. I loved the Satin Brass but I see the Crystal does give more of the look I wanted so I am going to go with crystal.

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

Lynn, I was looking at the second from the bottom (703?). It comes in 5,6,7,8,9,&10 inch sizes.

It doesn't have the nice trimming details the auction one has though.

• susanlynn2012
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Squirrel, Since I have been looking at lamps shades now, I learned that T X B X H means Top Diameter of the Lamp X Bottom Diameter of the Lamp X Height of the Lamp.

None of the heights are as small as 6" or I would have written to the seller for a price since #703 lamp style is so cute and I would have bought these lamps shades instead of the ones I bought from the seller. But I am still glad I bought the ones from the seller since it is better to have too small lamp shades that are cute than no lamp shades or too small or too big lamp shades.

Thank you for thinking of me. I bookmarked the sight for future lamp shade purchases for other lamps in my home. I always appreciate your help.

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

Oh, I see! Silly me not paying attention :)

Nevermind :))

• susanlynn2012
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I will post this link also as a new post so I can get opinions from those that do not realize I added a link with more pictures to help me decide which two table lamps to go with or look for a crystal table lamp tht is a little shorter about 25" high at the most for the left bigger bedside table. These lamps were bought at a local luxury department store called Fortunoff that had a major 65% off sale so they are easy to return. I may have to but I just hate to order online and have to return a lamp since I did find a few lamps that I will post links to also that are about 25" tall.

Thank you everyone for your help.

I love the crystal look! I also love my new Ebay Silk Flowers.

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

I think I'm liking a taller lamp and definitely prefer a round bell shade to the angles next to the bed. Since in many of the pics you are doing similar lamps on each side, having one just a tad lower doesn't look right to me. I think I'd either do matching bedside lamps or do ones that are quite different in some way.

Not sure about the height of the mirrored dressor ones -- I think they fall too much at half-way to the mirror height. Higher or lower than 1/2 is more graceful. (Thirds are good :)

• susanlynn2012
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you Squirrel. I agree that I think I would need to buy new lamps shades. I am thinking I am liking the taller lamps and did not like the 22" high Hannah Lamp on my bedside tables since they only give 60 watt light and they are just too short for my headboard. But I did find them cute on my double dresser adding more light to my bedroom. If they are not right there, I have other places for them in my home since I love them.

There is an nice inexpensive bell shape shade at Target I saw in person that I could buy two of that may fit the bigger lamps.

If I get matching bedside lamps, there will be a 5" difference in height. That is why I have the Carmela big bulb 27.5" high lamp on the big bedside table and the smaller more crystalized balls Kara 28.5" high lamp on the smaller bedside table to show the difference in height. If I could raise up one lamp on the smaller table without taking up a lot of room, I could get them the same height.

I am tempted to just buy lamps to hook into the wall but I hate to do that since I would need help installing the lamp and I like lamps I can unplug and move around and I like being able to move the bed if I decide to paint the room a little bit of a deeper color.

When my new crystal lamps arrive from EBay, I will try them on that double dresser and on the junior chest and on the chest of drawers. Most likely they will go in my spare bedroom since I love them but they are small.

Squirrel, do you like the new EBay Silk Flowers? I will try to get another vase for my bedroom for another table in a different arrangement. When I am done, I will make my bed up with all the fancy pillows.

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

Yes, I like the flowers alot :) Funny, how the lampshades look to be different sizes in the pic. I like that shape shade on the dresser.

There are wall lamps that have cords to the plug. Often seen with metal casing around the cord. I guess they just hang like a picture without damaging the wall much, but I'm not sure.

Have you tried a lamp store?

• annzgw
    16 years ago

This is getting a little OT, but have you considered moving the tall chest of drawers to another room and reversing the iron table with the short chest of drawers? I'm assuming you sleep on the left side of the bed and wonder if having the dresser on that side of the bed will give you more options with the lamps and more surface area to use?

• susanlynn2012
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you Squirrel for letting me know you like the silk flowers I won on EBay also. I knew right when I saw them that I liked them but I kept hesitating since I hate to buy online and not be able to return something if I do not like it in person. I love these so much. :)

I had wanted lamps to put on the wall but I have no one to install them and to remove them and put them back on the wall if I repaint my bedroom or need to move the bed.

annz, I wish I had another place for the chest of drawers but my other rooms are full and have no room for more furniture so I feel the set up in my bedroom is the best I can do for now but thank you for thinking of me and replying.

• susanlynn2012
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I am still wondering if one of my tables can have those cute little lamps I won on EBay or maybe I am better putting them in my spare room on the 15 Year old worn out oak dresser (that only fits socks in the drawers since they are so shallow) over a shabby chic type of lacey runner. I was thinking of painting that bureau antique white. I do love the lamps I won and I will find a place for them. :) They will be shipped on Tuesday to me priority.

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

Time will tell :) You and I need to get back to workin' on what we're supposed to be workin' on, lol.

• susanlynn2012
    Original Author
    16 years ago

The EBay lamps arrived and are too cute. They are 14.5" high with the lamp shades that are more of a beie color.

• organic_smallhome
    16 years ago

Are you kidding me??? If you think a mere description of "too cute" will do, you are seriously misguided. Photos, young lady, photos!!!!

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

Lynn, I can't find your curtain thread so I'll put it here ... This is the type of draping effect I was talking about and trying to render -- Ladynimue's window (below the round of baked bread :)

• susanlynn2012
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks Squirrelheaven for the link and letting me know that the draping would look nice in my bedroom. I am thinking you are right.

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

I was thinking that the lower portion of the drape could hit where your door sheer stops, so that it's balanced and looks cohesive all the way across the wall.

• susanlynn2012
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I was looking at this thread again for pictures of my brass lamps. I am not too happy with the adorable crystal lamps I bought on Ebay (good price but expensive shipping... and I paid extra for the lamp shades) since despite being too cute, I can't seem to find a place in my home for them. I may take pictures and see if anyone on this list wants them for what I paid for them. Everyone that sees them falls in love with them but my new stereo I just bought is so modern with the piano black speakers. Maybe I will find a place in the room....

I had also bought another antique crystal lamp from the same seller to save on shipping. I am finding out that I am more of a modern, traditional girl with a touch of country, a touch of traditional and a touch of victorian. I love antiques in the homes of others but I am finding out I like newer things that are not old. I guess I am learning my style.

I still love the modern crystal lamps that I bought at fortunoff, especially the pair of Hannah Lamps that I put on the double dresser with flowers in the middle thanks to Squirrel's visuals.

I will have to post pics of my satin brass lamps in my other room that I loved in their until I just recently bought the white wicker dresser and now I wish I had white lamps. That are beautiful but I am learning that things must go in the room and not just be a beautiful object. :)

I sold my friend my perfect stereo that was perfect in every way but was too big for the room for a smaller book shelf stereo that looks better in the room but has so many less features and sounds very nice but not as good. I guess I can't have everything. :) It has a silver receiver and black speakers that looks good in the room but now the brass lamps look out of place.

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm