SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gastroc

Living Room Help Needed (Pics included)

gastroc
13 years ago

Brief background:

DH and I purchased our 1920's bungalow a little over a year ago and have since been renovating every room in the house. We are now onto our living room. Since we do own a bungalow with some Arts & Crafts features, we want to stick with the Craftsman style. We found this picture in a book called Bungalow Style and fell in love:

Our plan is to replicate the entire moulding/paint scheme but instead of being used in a dining room, we want it in our living room. With the top quarter of the wall painted the same color as the ceiling, stained trim, and the red color on the rest of the walls. The problem comes when we apply it to our living room... We have an arched doorway and two recesses. Here's a photo of that... (Pardon the mess, but like I said we're renovating our house! lol)

Now according to the picture in the magazine, following where they put the trim, it will run either just above our recesses and arch OR it will clear the recesses and hit the arch. My question is will either of those two things look right? Trim running so closely above an archway? I just don't know.

I found this picture online in the Arts and Crafts magazine archives:

In that photo ^, it has the trim going to the moulding and then continuing again on the other side...I'm not sure how that will look either since our arch won't be accented with wood.

THEN, I get to thinking well we could just copy that but then I think the trim will come to low on the wall!

I come to you all because I'm going to lose my mind trying to make this work lol. Is it possible? Should I just do something else? Thank you for helping or just listening to me vent. =P

Comments (23)

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH