SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
designnewbie44

Living Room Design Help Needed (with pics)

KJMR 320
5 years ago

Hubby and I are so proud of our DIY reno job on this house. Now we are at the decorating point. Time to say goodbye to our old red apartment futon and black poang chairs! Our goal is to have this furniture in by Thanksgiving! Trouble is that I don't know how to have a cohesive design!

We have a large kitchen with a large 6 seater peninsula that looks onto a smallish sitting area with a white-washed fireplace. The room is rectangular and is much longer than it is wide. We recently purchased 6 lovely upholstered (with nail heads) swivel gray chairs for our peninsula. I am now struggling with finishing our attached sitting area.

1. The current layout is one I am thinking of sticking with given the layout of the room and doors being on each side of the fireplace. I want to keep the flow of foot traffic through and around clear. I can't think of another layout that would work... but maybe a gifted design conscious person on Houzz has a better idea!

2. Sofas........... I have all of those above mentioned gray chairs about 5 feet from where my sofa will be. I feel like the room needs a bit of balance to avoid being overly and overpoweringly gray. I had thought of buying an accent blue sofa since the house is gray and white but maybe that would be too much color. Maybe I should just accent with artwork and/or area rug and let my furniture be more versatile. I feel quite lost in this process!

3. Is the gold mirror too big and too much contrast? Should I just go with a painting instead? Or go with a mirror that is nickle to match the kitchen hardware and pendants? I originally bought the mirror on clearance thinking it would go in another room. However, my original plan was to throw some gray and gold tones together in this room so I thought it might work in the kitchen. I have it temporarily leaning on the wall over the peninsula until I decide what to do with it. Also, notice my curtain rod is a gold tone. I'm lost. lol

Help! Ideas welcome.

Comment (1)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH