SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
meg711_gw

Please help me find a nice high-end throw

meg711
14 years ago

I finally found a throw for our family room, in the right color blue, but the weave is too open. DH is complaining that it doesn't provide enough warmth.

So I've been searching for a blue throw in cashmere or alpaca or merino wool in the same color blue. I have not seen anything in the stores, and I'm not finding much online either.

I'm hoping the experts out there can identify various companies that make high-end throws (but not too high-end), or can direct me to the right sites.

I've already looked through Sferra, Kennebunk, Textillery, Dreamweavers. And I've checked out Garnet Hill, Restoration Hardware, Crate and Barrel and a bunch of others.

What am I overlooking? Thanks!

Comments (50)

• happymrsh
    14 years ago

You can spend $100 if you want, but Berkshire BunnySoft or SeraSoft blankets are luxurious and only $20 at TJ Maxx. (The BunnySoft, my preferred, come on a hanger, not folded.) I have one in a beautiful mink color (and have given a couple as housewarming gifts) and it has a wonderful drape when laid over the sofa arm.

• palimpsest
    14 years ago

Williams-Sonoma Home $268 sale price. Pricy but I've seen $700 so I guess "too high end" is relative.

Here is a link that might be useful: WS Home Cashmere Throws

• Related Discussions

At a dead end - need help finding an end table!

Q

Comments (37)
    jen9 - I like the Lucinda. It's very similar to the West Elm but larger I think. Arapaho - thank you for all the links - nice tables. I do need one with 24-26" diameter for the tabletop. Based on some of the comments, I started looking for a square table and found this one by Aiden Gray side table. It's similar to my coffee table but perhaps not too much of a match. Love the parquet wood but of course it's too much $$. I also wonder if the narrow legs would look okay between 2 large couches or if I need a table with more mass. I did find this site that has a tutorial for making a table top. DH is very DIY and has all the tools so I may ask if he's up to the project. Just need to find a base. Case iron table legs are not cheap on ebay. Aidan Gray Matthew Ryan Side Table Here is a link that might be useful: Reclaimed wood table tutorial
    ...See More

Please help me decide how high to hang the drapes

Q

Comments (44)
    I like to follow the rule of thirds. It is aesthetically pleasing. However, in this situation, I'm trying to figure out if the 1/3 point is the rod itself or the distance from the top of the panel to the ceiling. The difference is not that great, but could, I suppose, throw things off. Let me see if I can explain what I'm talking about. The distance between the top of the window casing and the ceiling is 14". One third of that is 4.66". The distance from the floor to the top of the window casing is 80". If I use the 84" panels and allow for about 1/2" clearance at the bottom, the top of the panel would be about 4 1/2" from the ceiling. BUT, if I want the rod to be 4 1/2" from the ceiling, then I need to purchase the 95" panels and shorten them and the top of the panel ends up about 6 1/2" from the ceiling! Does this make any sense? WWYD??? Now, let me show you what I think I'm going to use for the rod. Does it blend in with the wall enough? And which of these two colors do you think I should use? The one draped over the sofa is SAND and the other that I didn't bother to unfold from the way it was packaged (sorry about that) is IVORY. If you'd like to see the IVORY opened up, I can do that. SO MANY DECISIONS! I don't know why my pictures are larger than usual. I swear I resized them the same as all the others. Sorry.
    ...See More

Need help deciding on range: mid-range or high-end?

Q

Comments (39)
    So glad to come across this post. I am in nearly the same position. A 30" gas Kenmore Elite is supposed to show up next week and I am not excited! Nearly all my research on the Kenmore was positive and price wise it was good. I wanted a 30" gas burner, convection oven, slide in. Reading not so good reviews on the GE Cafe or any others such as KA or Electrolux (and and a significant up in price from the Kenmore) - sent me to the Kenmore. But honestly I don't trust the back control panel to last long & really don't like the look or need the features. I just want to turn the stove and burners on and off. We seriously considered the Bertazzoni but the oven was way too small (it is very pretty and basic functioning) and next thing we know are looking at Wolf for more than 3x the price of the Kenmore! It is amazing how you can mentally upgrade. We love to cook but spent the last 4 years with an ancient hotpoint that only had three functioning burners and was fine (my husband not so much :) I am glad to hear good things about the Cafe & others. Any more input on those 30" slide in "mid range" stoves - KA, Electrolux, GE - would be wonderful. And I am going to check out the NXR. Thanks.
    ...See More

Rug Dilemma-Help me find a rug please

Q

Comments (14)
    Freedomplace1-love how you can put the rug in the room! I didn't like the last one, I thought I'd like a more blue rug, but after seeing it in the room, I don't think I like a mainly blue. I'm going to look for a rug w/ more natural neutral colors, some blue, something that is rich in color but maybe w/ the lighter color....if any of that makes sense :) The 1st, 2nd & 3rd ones are my faves along w/ the last one Jinx posted.
    ...See More
  • User
    14 years ago

meg711-

Garnet Hill has a beautiful collection of throws in luxurious fabrics (and their bedding and sweaters and shoes and rugs and robes and, well, just about everything is pretty darn nice too, and especially well made).

sandyponder

Here is a link that might be useful: Garnet Hill

• weav_2007
    14 years ago

If you are handy with a sewing machine, you could sew one up in the colors you like with out dated upholstery squares. I've made 8 of them in the last year. They are fun & easy to make, & also very warm to cover up with. The back of the throws are the microsuade material which is soft to the touch. I've been a lurker here for awhile & have not figured out to post pictures yet or I would post some pictures.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    14 years ago

Pendleton throws are nice.

• les917
    14 years ago

What color blue are you seeking? Hard to suggest sites that would be useful without knowing that. Blues are harder to come by than other colors as you have discovered, and I would hate to waste your time with sites that don't have the right blue.

throws

pashmina store

This site says they have 50 colors and will do custom dyeing as well. Might be the best way to get the right blue.

cashmere throws

Personally, tho cashmere is lovely to feel, it doesn't feel snuggly to me, and merino wool is itchy. I would rather have a down throw or cotton cable knit blanket.

Hope you find the perfect blanket for your family room!

• inox
    14 years ago

Be sure to check sizes carefully.

Here is a link that might be useful: Roros-Tweed Norwegian Wool Blankets & Throws

• iris_9
    14 years ago

I have a Ralph Lauren cashmere throw in navy. I remember buying it on sale but can't remember where!

• meg711
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for all the suggestions. I had checked out Williams Sonoma and Garnett Hill, but their blues look a little too dark. Then again, in some of the photos, the blue looks just right. It's so hard to judge colors on a computer monitor.

happymrsh: I've been to TJ Maxx and couldn't find anything. I'll have to check again to see if I can find the bunny soft.

weav 2007: I finally gave away the sewing machine when I realized I hadn't used it in decades. And now of course, I want a new one!

bumblebeez: I'll have to check out Pendleton. Their throws have come up in my searches, but I don't think I've found an official site. Seems like lots of plaids though.

Les, I had been on boutique jewels but never saw their claim about 50 colors. A few of the blues look like they might work. That's a great site!

fyi, I can tell you which blues are wrong: it's not a pastel, not navy, not true royal blue, not robin's egg blue or spa blue; it's not teal or turquoise or periwinkle.

It's a medium blue sort of like a medium-washed blue jean, but with a slight touch of green. (So that's why the throw described as chambray might be right on the money.) I'd like to throw to be the same tone as our dragonfly chairs, which will be across the room--although the flash is making the blue of the chair look very bright in this photo:

Now that we're down to the wire, DH doesn't want blue or brown, which is the main color scheme of that room and our house, so it's been a real challenge. I found a beautiful copper color throw but found that it shed tiny threads and sparkles (??) all over, so that's going back tomorrow. Plus the copper looked hideous on our brownish mohair couch. So it's back to the blue--if I can find the right one.

And I agee about itchiness, but we're usually dressed when using them, and this is mostly for DH.

inox: Thanks for the warning about the dimensions. Some are much smaller than others!

iris: I saw a lovely Ralph Lauren throw in a local store but it wasn't the right color.

Thanks again everyone--and keep 'em coming!

• nappyhairbigteeth
    14 years ago

I've seen some nice throws at Tuesday Morning.

• lindac
    14 years ago

Find a knitting friend and have her knit one...
    There are wonderful; yarns...alpaca, cashmere, hand spun etc....
    Or knit it your self.
    Linda C

• nutsaboutplants
    14 years ago

One of the throws on Overstock seems to be the right color for your chair. It is pure silk, so it should feel comfortable. I can't paste the image for some reason, but try searching for a product labeled "Luxurious Italian-made Pure Silk Throw Blanket" in the color "Ocean Blue."

• meg711
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Linda: If we waited for me to knit it, it would take another three years to get this house furnished--but I appreciate the vote of confidence.

nutsabout: Darn! They don't have any blue left! But it does look like the right color. Thanks!

• amysrq
    14 years ago

Gump's has cashmere. Anichini has some glorious merino throws, but you'd have to surrender the blue idea. Finding just the right blue may be a challenge. Any chance you would consider an accent color? (Maybe blue IS the accent color...)

Here is a link that might be useful: four patterns...scroll down

• User
    14 years ago

I ordered the cashmere throw from Gumps for my daughter last Christmas; she loves it. It's Indigo, a bluish peacock green, similar to your chair.

Gump's Cashmere Throw

John Richard makes very nice, heavy, embroidered throws.

• meg711
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi Amy,

DH is begging for something other than blue or brown. And since I've had no luck finding the right blue, I have been thinking of surrendering the blue idea--which is why I brought home that lovely copper throw. So I could get an accent color such as the ginger/coppery color that's in our fireplace, but that color seems to look awful against our brown mohair couch.

The better idea might be to go with a red--although that would be the only red in our house. I may just get them at Crate and Barrel tomorrow and see how they look. Then I can be done with this wild goose chase!

PS The Anichini throws are gorgeous! I really like the Verona in bronze/taupe/brown but not necessarily the price tag. I'd like to see them in person!

• amysrq
    14 years ago

I think red goes with everything! And, as my wise little brother told me once, "Done is good."

There is an Anichini outlet a few hours from here. I always seem to drive by with my husband in the car....so we never stop. Too bad. Or maybe not!

• emagineer
    14 years ago

Can you find a knitter to do one for you? Perhaps buy the yarn wanted too.

I have gone to twin size blankets/covers for throws. They aren't that much larger, but a nice larger for me. A mohair mix lays wonderful.

Yes to Tuesday Morning. This is where I found mine at great prices, plus they are unique to the norm and offer a wide range of materials.

• meg711
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi again,

It turns out the site that Les posted will "custom" dye a throw (from one of their 50 pashmina colors) for an additional $50, which isn't that bad. So I may just go that route since a few of their blues looked very close.

But I will stop at Crate and Barrel today to see what their red looks like. There is a tiny bit of red in that room. Red somehow feels like I'm settling--but that explains why it's taken so long to get this house done--if there's such a thing as done.

The Gumps throws look beautiful, but their indigo is looking too green on my monitor. I haven't had much luck at our nearby Tuesday Morning. No throws that I could find. I'll see what I can find for John Richard.

Thanks again for all the help.

• karinl
    14 years ago

"I always seem to drive by with my husband in the car....so we never stop."

Ain't THAT the truth.

Anyway, Restoration Hardware just sent me a catalogue with cashmere throws in them (I know you said you'd checked there, but they might be a new item; I've never seen their catalogue before).

Another thought is to double up two throws for a two-colour look and a better feel when wrapped in them. And while I haven't gone shopping to check whether there are throws available at the moment, I know I have found nice stuff at Sierra Trading Post and Lands' End... maybe even LL Bean?

KarinL

• luvnlife_09
    14 years ago

Here's a link to what Tuesdaymorning.com has to offer. There might be a neutral there if the blues and reds don't work.

Here is a link that might be useful: Tuesdaymorning.com throws

• luvnlife_09
    14 years ago

OK that link didn't work right for whatever reason. Anyway you can just type "throw" into the search box. (Not "throws")

• rdquilter
    14 years ago

I just received 4 throws yesterday that I had ordered from Macy's and they are all on sale and I liked them all.
    I got Hotel Collection-Ruched
    and Charter Club Quilted Plush
    and Charter Club Reversible Throw. (this one is furry)
    Not a huge color selection but they were all very nice, 50 X 60.
    Now I have to decide what to keep as I don't really need 4!

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    14 years ago

I don't think these are high end, but they are nice. I've had Pendleton wool things for years. (Fyi, this is probably a "How Not to Act Old" faux pas)
    You definitely need a red or orange on that chair. Turquoise would be nice too. Don't do matchy matchy!

Here is a link that might be useful: Pendleton

• luckygal
    14 years ago

I have 4 throws that I got at Costco, Not high end but very soft, comfy, and washable and look higher end than they cost. They are various fleece fabrics. Can't remember seeing a blue but I have a cream, gold, black, and red. I also have some crocheted ones but they are not as warm.

I still have a wool "car blanket" (about throw size) that belonged to my DF that must be 60 years old and still going strong so if you want something that will last, wool is it. Personally I don't often buy accessories that will last that long as I like to change colors/styles more often. A $15-$20 throw from Costco is great, I can give it away in a couple of years and get another.

• tarhlfan
    14 years ago

I like the red throws. I think you need another color in that room.

• squirrelheaven
    14 years ago

I don't think the bright Christmas red works in your room. How about a burnt orange; could have some red in it. It also looks to be in the rug and ottoman.

• squirrelheaven
    14 years ago

There's actually a burnt orange in the Pashmina Store, linked above.

{{!gwi}}

• hoosiergirl
    14 years ago

I think Squirrelheaven hit the nail on the head! Red didn't work for me, and I wasn't crazy about the blue either. I was going to suggest some type of pattern with a few of your colors in it, but you already have the ottoman doing that. I think the burnt orange is *perfect*! (And I think two or three as she shows would work best.)

• squirrelheaven
    14 years ago

Ha! I was just showing it being snatched and used over on other pieces, lol. It Is a nice accent in the room, and that color (along with blue) makes me think of Meg's home, overall.

• karinl
    14 years ago

Love those dragonfly chairs, like the idea of the throw in orange - just hope your DH looks good wrapped in orange :-)

KarinL

• amysrq
    14 years ago

Sad to say, I don't love the red. Though I think an earthier red could work, it just doesn't make me happy with the blue chairs. Have you considered picking up the gold in the dragonflies? I like to lay pattern around a room, so ideally, I'd like to see a patterned throw in several of your colors. That way, getting the exact right shade of this or that would be less important.

I also know what you mean about balancing the blue in the room. It feels like the blue chairs do need a counterbalance across the room right now. I wonder if we're asking a couple of throws to do too much. I am not great about furniture arrangements really, but might there be a way to juggle the furniture around some to achieve the balance you need?

I really love the ottoman, btw. Shape and fabric. And the pooch reminds me of my Tibetan Terrier! Cutie!

• amysrq
    14 years ago

hey check this one out....Royal Ocean color. On my monitor, it looks darn close to those chairs. There are a few items from that company in varying shade of blue.

(So much for my more pattern idea!)

Here is a link that might be useful: O?

• meg711
    Original Author
    14 years ago

You guys are the greatest. I really appreciate all your patience in helping me work through this. DH tends to roll his eyes when I discuss this stuff with him. (Much like the great rug hunt of 2007/2008.)

I'm glad that most seem to think that the bright red is not ideal. And while I love the idea of burnt orange (especially with our slate fireplace surround and the art above the fireplace), I worry that the burnt orange will not look good against our brown mohair couch. (The copper throw looked awful against the couch.)

So now I'm wondering whether the two throws need to match each other. Perhaps burnt orange on the brown leather chair and something else (blue, deep red, patterned?) on the couch. Here's a patterned throw that I found with a charcoal background:

Unfortunately this throw is on the small side (45x60), as is the Royal Ocean throw above--although the color does look great. I think it's too much to ask for to find another patterned throw with "our" colors in it. These are not very common colors I'm dealing with.

Amy, I appreciate what you're saying about moving the furniture but I don't think that can happen. Maybe I can balance the blue with pillows, or another art piece on the mantle. Or a throw!

Thanks again!

• meg711
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Squirrel, please forgive my bad manners. I meant to thank you for photoshopping the throws. I really appreciate your help!

Do you think that burnt orange looks okay on the couch?

• squirrelheaven
    14 years ago

Don't want to get too carried away, but here's some stuff to look at.

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

• les917
    14 years ago

I understand your concern about how the throws look on certain pieces of furniture, but honestly, aren't they going to be used in different seating at various times, and not end up draped as you are showing them now? I am guessing that they will be 'thrown' over whatever chair someone uses them in at any given time.

You need to relax just a bit and remember that there is no such thing as 'perfect' when it comes to decorating. It is just preferences or the best of the choices you have available. I am sure that you mean well, but I think you really want what everyone wants - a place that appeals visually, that says welcome and sit down and make yourself at home.

Now, I think the throws in a rusty orange or rusty red are great choices, considering the colors in the carpeting.

What I also think is absent is some blue in the pillows on the couch. Blue pillows ( something with some pattern and texture) will have much more inpact that a couple of draped strips of fabric that the throws become. A couple of these from Crate and Barrel would bring the oranges and the blues to the couch, and make the whole space feel more connected:

firenze pillow

Unless they really are used all the time, I think you need to lose the blue ottomans in front of the chairs. Judging by how they appear in the pix, they aren't being used because there is no leg room between the chairs and the ottomans. I think what you have if you keep them is way too many ottomans in that center area. Maybe they can be tucked against a wall or by the end doors until needed.

And, where are your lamps and tables? I don't see any ambient lighting in the room, or places for people to put down a drink, except between the two blue chairs.

I am wondering if you have tried putting the blue chairs opposite the couch, and mvoing the brown leather chair to the left of the couch, with an end table between them..

It is a lovely space, and now just needs the right lighting and final additions to allow you to proclaim it done!

• hoosiergirl
    14 years ago

Meg, I got to thinking about my suggestion to use 2 or 3 burnt orange throws and I take it back. Two or 3 of the same throw might look a bit odd, but the burnt orange color as accent pieces would look nice and add a bit of spice to the room.

I do really like the patterned throw you showed above, and I like it as Squirrelheaven shows it with the burnt orange.

• busybee3
    14 years ago

i keep thinking a gold colored throw would look best.... something along the lines of the dragonfly color, though deeper and richer.....the patterned one would be my next choice.

• meg711
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks, Les, for all your comments and advice. I know I need to calm down. And you're right. I'm not striving for perfection; I want it comfortable and welcoming--but I also don't want to make a mistake that is avoidable.

We do have ottoman overload, but we were dealing with a small room with very little wall space, and we wanted to be able to have four people camped out (and horizontal) for family TV viewing. And thus all the ottomans, which all do get used.

As for tables, the striped ottoman doubles as a coffee table for drinks, etc. There is a table between the two dragonfly chair, and one next to the leather chair. I'm looking for a small one for the fireplace-end of the couch. We can't have one closer to the blue chairs because I want a walking space there.

Lighting is tricky because of where the outlets are located. There is a lamp for the leather chair (not pictured), but the rest of the lighting is in the ceiling. It works so far but maybe we should re-think that, too.

I had seen the firenze pillow in person but can't remember why it didn't work. I'm toying with having pillows made from the striped fabric, or the dragonfly fabric because I really would like more blue near the fireplace.

Thanks for your comments Hoosier and Busy. I'm thinking the numbers and colors and will decide soon.

Thanks again everyone!

• squirrelheaven
    14 years ago

She's back! You're welcome. Yes, from here, I do think the burnt orange on the sofa looks nice. I'm thinking the somewhat striped effect of the gray one is a bit busy or redundant with the ottoman (which I love). Was thinking the same thing, about some pillows to bring more blue to that end of the room. Blue on the mantel area would be nice, too.

Wasn't really paying attention to the layout, but I think the three ottomans would look fine. Maybe a table at the sofa, with some glass to change the subject and open things up a bit? I do love that ottoman though. Definitely a stretching out kind of gal here, too, so I'd have to be able to have my feet up. I'd be outstretched on the sofa, though : )

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    14 years ago

I can also see a black and white (cream) plaid- large plaid- throw on the chairs.
    It would makes things less static and add some verve.
    You have a lovely room but to me it could use a tiny bit more energy.

• meg711
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks again for the photoshopped images, Squirrel. I am leaning toward two burnt orange throws, but definitely at least one for the leather chair. And either the striped or camel or blue for the couch--although you might be right about the redundant stripes.

I would hate to lose the striped ottoman because it (and the rug) bring the whole room together, to my eye anyway. I am regretting not getting ottomans that were more curved for the dragonfly chair (to take up less space) but didn't think about it at the time. Basically we do have too much furniture in this room but it works for us.

Bumble: I usually strive for comfortable elegance so energy is sort of a scary concept for me. Not sure what it means in terms of decorating, or how I would add it. Is that kind of like adding a zebra rug to a room?

• squirrelheaven
    14 years ago

I like the relaxed feel of your room and colors. The burnt orange livens it up with some energy, but it still remains very soothing.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    14 years ago

The zebra rug is a great example, but extreme. I'm only suggesting that in a tiny portion ( I love texashottie's room btw). But I also think, as we all do, do what makes you feel good.
    I suggested the b & w because you already have those elements in play in the room: the fireplace tiling and the clock are the the big things I see.

• julia_prasadabeauty_yahoo_com
    14 years ago

I've recently invested my money in organic merino wool blanket and it feels amazing! I've heard organic merino wool is very healthy, because it's known to regulate our body temperature properly and also naturally absorbs our body sweat and then gives off excess moisture into the atmosphere. I've purchased my blanket from http://onlinebasicessentials.com. They also offer a free shipping now :) Hope it helps you!!!

Here is a link that might be useful: onlinebasicessentials

• amysrq
    14 years ago

Smell like spam to me...

Any news, Meg?

• meg711
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Definitely spam, Amy.

No, no news yet. I've scoured the local stores but didn't find anything. One local high-end furniture store offered to have their weaver "custom" make a throw for a mere $600. And it's a small one, too, only 45x60, as opposed to the 60x80 throw online. And it's not even cashmere!

DH likes the idea of the larger blue throw rather than the smaller burnt orange one, so I guess I should get moving on it. I just keep hoping I'll find the right one in a local store and not have to deal with online orders.

Thanks for asking. Now is there anything we can do about the spam?

• george19431_aol_com
    13 years ago

I have Ralph Lauren REAL mink throws 4 by 6 for sale....

these are real from his home collection when he sold fur.

1- black
    1- white fox
    1- red fox

AND matching pillows 1 of each in black,white and fox.

throws are 1500.00$$ a piece and the pillpows are 700.00 $$ a piece