SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
laheen

Need help deciding on range: mid-range or high-end?

laheen
13 years ago

I'm re-posting this from the Appliances forum, because I haven't gotten many replies over there & there seems to be more traffic here...

I've been reading lots of posts on ranges. I'm struggling to decide whether it's worth it for me to spring for a top-of-the-line model (Bluestar, Wolf, Viking, etc), or if I'll be satisfied with something on the high end of the mid-range (GE, Bosch, Kenmore Elite, etc). Would love to get some opinions.

Here are my thoughts/goals...

I cook fresh food most days and I'm a competent cook, but I'm not a fancy cook. I never stir-fry or do anything really dramatic on the cooktop, but I do occasionally entertain for large crowds. I don't think I would take advantage of a suped up high-BTU cooktop, but I would like the burners to perform reliably at both boil & simmer modes. My concern about the mid-range models is that they all seem to have dedicated burners for high and low heat. Does that mean you can't simmer on the "power" burner? Because that seems annoying to me.

I'd like to have enough space to fit 2 or 3 large pots on the surface at once, so I was originally planning on a 36" model, but I found a few slide-in 30" models that make such efficient use of space that they almost feel like 36". (The GE Cafe, for one. I think Bosch makes one, too.)

I'm an avid baker and would like two ovens that perform well. I don't need them to have lots of fancy features, but I would like them to have even heat and low maintenance, and be big enough to fit 2 pie plates or a half-sheet pan.

Since the double ovens on the 36" ranges are so narrow, I think our options are to choose one of the 30" models which have the ovens one-over-one (like on the GE Cafe or Kenmore Elite) or break the bank on a 48" pro range, where there would be enough room for side-by-side ovens.

I'm planning on a dual-fuel range.

Re-sale value is not a factor. We've been in our house 5 years and it is our "forever" house - not planning to move for at least another 15-20. (Also, we live in a modest middle-class neighborhood, where GE Profile is considered the high end.)

Budget and space considerations exist for us, but I'm willing to make sacrifices if it's clear to me that I have to. If we go with something in the $2500 price range, I could afford to buy the range now. If we decide to move up to $6K+, I will have to postpone the purchase for another couple years to save the money. That would mean continuing to cook on my 10yo+ all-electric GE, which only has 3 working burners and is so shallow that I can only fit 2 pots at a time on the entire cooktop (the oven works great, though).

I have no doubt that a Wolf or a Bluestar would outperform a GE. I just don't know if it's worth it for me. But I don't want to go the cheap route and then be disappointed and regret the decision for the next 20 years. I'm also curious about the Five Star ranges. They seem to be the low end of the high end, price-wise, so maybe that's a good compromise for us. But I can't seem to find one in person.

Any thoughts or advice would be most welcome!

Comments (39)