SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bac717gw

Please help me decide how high to hang the drapes

bac717
13 years ago

I am FINALLY ready (I think) to hang some drapes in our family room that has had naked windows FOREVER. I can use the 84" long drapes and mount the rod just above the window casing or I can buy the 95" long drapes and go higher. Even if I mount the rod so that the top of the drapes is at the ceiling, I will have to shorten them slightly, which wouldn't be a problem for me. Here are the windows I'm working with.

And here are the drapes I'm considering from Bed, Bath and Beyond. They have a very nice texture, almost like burlap, but much softer. They are called Reina in the Sand color.

{{!gwi}}

Please note: The walls look very gold in my picture, but they are BM Wilmington Tan, so they are really more of a brown/gold and the drapes are darker than the picture from BBB. And the chair and lamp that are near the window have been replaced.

So, would you do the 84" just above the window or would you go higher? If higher, would you go as high as possible, or somewhere in between? Thanks so much for your help. My DH will be so happy when we finally have something on these windows!

Comments (44)

• Kathleen McGuire
    13 years ago

I would go all the way up! There isn't that much space from the trim to the ceiling, so go all the way.

• User
    13 years ago

I like draperies hung higher so I'd opt for the 95 inch and hem them. Quite often I see the rods hung about halfway between the top of the trim and ceiling. Our rods are all hung about three inches down from the ceiling, but we have very wide window trim at the top leaving just six inches between the trim and the ceiling.

I see you have a heater vent on the right hand side so you might want to get a diverter so you're heat and air won't get caught behind the panels.

• Related Discussions

How high to hang gauzy curtains for the summer, please?

Q

Comments (2)
    I would say halfway between the top of the window molding and the ceiling. I usually hang my drapes as close to the ceiling as I can get, but I have crown molding so that puts them several inches down from the plane of the ceiling. In your case, with no crown, halfway should be about right. The one thing you don't want for certain is for your window moldings to show in the space between the top of the drapes and the rod.
    ...See More

LR Drapes help me please. :)

Q

Comments (94)
    Ah, another late night. Jewel Thanks! Im finally starting to like my room. I do still have that black rod. I think they came down in price. Mine rod was $25. Some of the rings were on clearance while others werent. My rings were full price. Bru I do still like the bronze too. Think Im leaning for a little darker though. It is possible by the weekend Ill want pinch pleats again. JOKING! Think I have that part figured out now. I hung both the LaScala copper bronze and the other Target dark brown up. I already think I know what the response is going to be. . . Target left, LaScala right The LaScala is definitely has more sheen than the other. If I were to get either of these would I need to have two panels on each side? In the pics its only one. LaScala is 41" wide and Dark Brown is 54" I think the weight of them is very similar and theyre both lined. I also wanted to mention after two different Target store trips today, I now have a total of four panels in the dark brown (left) I really need to fix ceiling fan light.
    ...See More

Please help me stop the deciding on a duvet cover madness!

Q

Comments (68)
    Oh my everyone. Thank you for your help, olychick, Tibbrix, aktillery, sjhockeyfan, may_flowers, joaniepoanie, and everyone else! So I bought it. It's on. Not the best pic, and no big pillows, but goes good with my clearance target performance $20 king sheets:) I also told Target I had lost my rain check and they gave me 15% off without it, so I was happy. I had a rough day with some cautious good news, so I figured I deserved it too :) So here goes...
    ...See More

Would you please help me with my drape extension dilemma?

Q

Comments (5)
    Treat it like a bay window. Sheers are so light that you may be able to find a very long tension rod to mount them between the two . You can also buy rods that mount to the ceiling area. Appears the windows open inward. Do you have screens? Will you ever open them? If not, you could add top down/bottom up shades too, as shown below.
    ...See More
  • terezosa / terriks
    13 years ago

I would hang them at the ceiling.

• User
    13 years ago

Definitely all the way up. Beautiful windows!

• beekeeperswife
    13 years ago

I vote for the ceiling!

• bac717
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Well, so far, everyone wants me to go all the way ;). Now, I just have to be sure I want to use this color panel. Since I just picked up one panel today to give it a try and it's very overcast and rainy, I want to wait until a brighter day to double check the color. It's just a shade darker than the carpeting in the room and blends with (I think) the wall color.

Thanks everyone who has replied so far.

• greatgollymolly
    13 years ago

Window designer's to not advice ever putting drapes to the ceiling. It looks contrived and doesn't fool anyone's eye that the ceiling is taller. It just looks out of wack. Since your ceilings are 8' and you have such a small distance between the top of the door and the ceiling, I would hang the 84" curtains so they come just off the floor. If that puts your rod just above the casing or even a little more, that is fine. It will look balanced that way.

• beekeeperswife
    13 years ago

well, mine are to the ceiling and I like the way I don't see the wall above them. Here are 2 photos, I haven't steamed the wrinkles out yet:

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

check out this article. It has a lot of great dos and don'ts with window treatments.

Here is a link that might be useful: Excellent Curtain Advice from Cote de Texas

• User
    13 years ago

Not saying to the ceiling isn't nice looking, as we can see in beekeeperswife's home it is, but just clarifying that I said half way between the top of the trim and the ceiling. I'm not quite sure "to the ceiling" would work in your case without the blinds as BKW has.

If you can get a straight on picture I'd be happy to do some virtuals for you to help you decide.

• maire_cate
    13 years ago

Personally I'd do to the ceiling too and it's not a matter of trying to fool anyone that the windows are taller. I just don't like seeing a curtain rod adding another horizontal line between my windows and ceiling.

• woodsy_1
    13 years ago

*Window designer's to not advice ever putting drapes to the ceiling. It looks contrived and doesn't fool anyone's eye that the ceiling is taller. It just looks out of wack.*

I don't post much, but I have to say...really? I ran a one-woman (me) to-the-trade window treatment workroom for many years. Went on to get my ID degree. Pretty much any WT professional will tell you that raising your draperies to the ceiling, or at least part way, is the right thing to do.

Bac717, Your ceiling is low, your windows are wide. To achieve balance, you should hang your panels as high as possible. In a room like yours you need to do everything you can to bring the eye up. 84" panels would do nothing but chop off the room at the knees, so to speak. Go with the 96 inchers. You'll be glad you did.

• User
    13 years ago

Just my opinion, but I agree with the last poster...

I think putting them just above the window/door usually looks amateur (not all the time....but usually.) All the way up always looks a bit more grand/custom.

The other option I'd consider is halfway between the ceiling and top of door....

• bac717
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I just took some pictures in the room, but need to be out of the house in a little while, so I may or may not have time to post them before I leave. These pictures may give more info to help in the decision making.

I took a look at the link on curtain advice, but most all of the rooms there have such high ceilings and windows that mine just don't compare.

Thanks again for all the help and stay tuned for more pictures.

• lindac
    13 years ago

Some "designers" will tell you that it looks OK to have the draperies go to the ceiling, others will tell you not to.
    My eye thinks that draperies to the ceiling when your window doesn't go to the ceiling looks very odd. I hate that space of wall between the draperies. Looks like a motel to me.

• User
    13 years ago

My ceilings are 8' and my rod is 3" from the ceiling. My window with trim is 100"W. If you don't hang them right at the ceiling, I'd only leave a few inches between. I just like that it raises the eye up and for really wide windows it helps to balance out the squatty look.
    I couldn't find a pic showing the ceiling right and it's hard trying to take a pic during the day. I can take a better one later if you want.
    {{!gwi}}
    {{!gwi}}

I also would start the brackets out pretty far so the panels frame the windows. These are only at 8" from trim but I wish I would've done 10."

I see curtains hung all the time at just the top of the trim and I don't think it's wrong but like others mentioned, it gives it a more grand look.

I have to admit though, most people I know IRL don't hang their curtains high. I just like the look better.

• annzgw
    13 years ago

I noticed the same thing woodsy did, that the door & windows have more width than height.
    Don't know that I'd go all the way to the ceiling but I'd definitely hang them higher.
    Check out the link below for a visual.

Here is a link that might be useful: hanging drapes

• always1stepbehind
    13 years ago

I didn't read everyones replies but "Nate" says, all the way to the top of the ceiling. And from the pictures I see others posted, they got it right.

But I am sure there are exceptions...

• DLM2000-GW
    13 years ago

I'm going to sit this one out regarding the height. But whatever you end up with, DON'T skimp on the fullness - make sure you buy enough panels to cover with fullness.

• User
    13 years ago

Dlm - ??? C'mon. :)

• bac717
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I'm back with a few pictures, altho, I'm afraid they're kind of dark. Maybe I need to try again tonight when I won't have all the back light from the windows.

Here's a straight on one as requested by justgotabme.

This one shows the height of the furniture in the room that has crown molding (on the left) and the built-in area that's part of the kitchen, also with crown molding that goes to the ceiling (on the right). You can also see that I don't have much room at all to the right of the windows.

• avesmor
    13 years ago

Gah! I just got a new computer and don't have my paint program installed, and you don't want to see 10mp pictures. Later I will post pics of two rooms - once I can resize them smaller.

Both are 9' ceilings, but the treatments in one room were taken to just below the ceiling with 108" panels (I wanted enough clearance that I could dust the top of the panels), and the other is between the trim and the ceiling with 96" panels. Two completely different looks.

Do you plan to go with just panels, or do you plan to do a double treatment? (panels/sheers, panels/valances, etc.)

• bac717
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I plan to use just panels. I started looking at the grommet top panels because they will be, hopefully, easy to open and close, and won't take up a lot of room when open. I've been contemplating what to do with these windows (which are actually patio doors - the center section slides to the right) off and on for years! Originally, I thought I wanted something like a cordless pleated shade for each section.

• spring-meadow
    13 years ago

I don't think any idea works or works best across the board. With the width of that window area and 8' ceilings, I would go higher than the top so they don't look squatty. I wouldn't get dramatic and go to the ceiling though. I don't think it fits your room and the grommet style is casual. I also think a wide blank space across that expanse will not look particularly good and will draw attention to it more than anything. I would find a balance between the two. Below the half mark, running the rod at maybe 1/3 the space above the trim. Would that be about 5 inches? Hard to tell. I think the old rule of thumb was about six inches above the trim.

• rosesstink
    13 years ago

My vote is for just above the window trim. Like lindac, I think the wall space between the window and rod when curtains are mounted higher looks odd in most cases. Then again I don't think all curtains need to go the floor either. In your case they obviously do need to or they wouldn't cover the window! ;-)

• greatgollymolly
    13 years ago

Another example for you to look at.

Here is a link that might be useful: loribee's drapes

• bac717
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Depending on the rod I choose, I think the size of the support brackets will somewhat determine how much, at a minimum, I will need to install the rod above the window casing.

• User
    13 years ago

Well here we go. Sorry it took me so long to get back to you, but I'm here. I added the panels you posted above at just above the trim....

Halfway between trim and ceiling...

All the way to ceiling...

• bac717
    Original Author
    13 years ago

WOW, justgotabme, thank you, thank you for those mock-ups!!! They really help to visualize all the choices. They ALL look good to me, so I'm going to have to really think about this. I wonder if your mock-ups will change any of the previous posters thoughts. Do you, justgotabme, still like the halfway in between? Thanks again for your help!!

• User
    13 years ago

You are very welcome bac. It was my pleasure. I agree with you that they all look good, but I still prefer the hanging the rod at the halfway point. It gives extra height and breaks up the wide expanse of wall between the trim and ceiling when the panels are open.

• busybee3
    13 years ago

i think either just above the trim or 1/2 way between trim and ceiling looks best...

i'm not a big fan of hanging all the way to the ceiling--- alot of times it seems to just draw attention to the bare wall above the window rather than "tricking the eye" to think that your windows are full height! usually DOESN'T work imo and sometimes distracts from the the whole curtain/window...i think you can pull off that look best when your curtain very closely matches the wall color...

if you don't like the gap between the trim and the ceiling, wide crown molding would help close the gap...more effectively imo.

• DLM2000-GW
    13 years ago

Nice work, Becky.

Halfway. Definitely. I'd also say don't use a black or dark bronze rod but try to pick something that disappears into the wall or trim color. Don't forget, it's going to take a lot more fabric to have functional drapes that cover the windows when closed.

Barb - I haven't been to the Treasure House in a while - anything I can't live without??!!

• jnh896
    13 years ago

I have those drapes (in ivory) and I think you will love them! I don't know if you have seen them in person yet, but the grommets are an antique bronze, if that helps you with your rod selection. They fold beautifully and should open/close easily for you.

My vote is for halfway. :)

• bac717
    Original Author
    13 years ago

So far, I've decided that all the way to the ceiling is out, which is what the majority suggested originally. Amazing how the mock-ups help, isn't it?

Deb - I had the same thought about the color of the rod. If I can find something similar to the color of the grommets, I think it will sort of blend into the wall color. I'll email you about the Treasure House.

jnh - Thank you for the positive review on the drapes. Don't you love the texture? I have the sand color at home now, but am thinking about taking a look at the ivory, too.

• User
    13 years ago

hey... I still think all the way up, followed by halfway up as my choices :) I just didn't pipe up again since it hadn't changed as a result of the photos!

(RE: what someone said about crown molding above, if you ever plan on adding any, halfway might be a good choice for you.)

• User
    13 years ago

I like half way or a few inches from the top.

• User
    13 years ago

Thanks Deb. Twice in fact. I was so brain dead with lower back pain last night that I couldn't trust myself with Barb's name. When I posted the Virtuals above I started to type "Barb" and then stopped because I wondered where that came from. Guess I really knew deep down.

Barb, here's what the WTs in the Gentleman's Parlor look like. (The wall color is a primer and in actuality matches pretty close to the leaves in the panels.) As you can see halfway for me is fairly close to the ceiling since the trim my hubby so lovingly made/is making for our home is wide.

Oh and one of these days I hope to take down the auto up roller shades and make a new flat cap for the ends and spray paint the rest to match the curtain rods.

• User
    13 years ago

The visuals did change my mind. I originally voted for the ceiling. But, I like 1/2 way better. It looks more in proportion. If there was crown molding, it would be about at the bottom of the molding, which is where it should be IMO. Even if there isn't crown molding, I think that still looks best. Hope that made sense!

• spring-meadow
    13 years ago

Great visuals. I would consider dropping below the half-point mark maybe at 1/3 or slightly above. Aesthetically, a good design tip is the rule of thirds. It's a very useful breaking point that's been studied for centuries. It creates a more balanced and natural looking proportional flow than dividing things in half or centering them. Things in nature use that proportion. Centering is a bit distracting, drawing attention to that point which is something you really don't want to do in this case. If you want them higher than that, above half-way at approximately two thirds above the trim would be less severe and not so big a gape than going to the ceiling.

• DLM2000-GW
    13 years ago

Great point, spring-meadow. Ditto what she said ;-)

• bac717
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I like to follow the rule of thirds. It is aesthetically pleasing. However, in this situation, I'm trying to figure out if the 1/3 point is the rod itself or the distance from the top of the panel to the ceiling. The difference is not that great, but could, I suppose, throw things off. Let me see if I can explain what I'm talking about.

The distance between the top of the window casing and the ceiling is 14". One third of that is 4.66". The distance from the floor to the top of the window casing is 80". If I use the 84" panels and allow for about 1/2" clearance at the bottom, the top of the panel would be about 4 1/2" from the ceiling. BUT, if I want the rod to be 4 1/2" from the ceiling, then I need to purchase the 95" panels and shorten them and the top of the panel ends up about 6 1/2" from the ceiling! Does this make any sense? WWYD???

Now, let me show you what I think I'm going to use for the rod. Does it blend in with the wall enough?

And which of these two colors do you think I should use? The one draped over the sofa is SAND and the other that I didn't bother to unfold from the way it was packaged (sorry about that) is IVORY. If you'd like to see the IVORY opened up, I can do that.

SO MANY DECISIONS!

I don't know why my pictures are larger than usual. I swear I resized them the same as all the others. Sorry.

• sallymo2015
    13 years ago

Will you just need one bracket in the middle? Do you have your hardware already?
    I have sold a few grommet panels but only one set to be open and closed. A tip from the seamstress that actually fabricated them was to use a spare drapery ring (it won't show) with a wand attached between the first and second grommet. That way you won't have to pull on the fabric. It's the oils from your hands that eventually attracts dirt and causes the fabric to stretch.

• bac717
    Original Author
    13 years ago

That's a good question, sallymo. If I want to completely close them, I can use only one bracket in the middle. I will have plenty of extra brackets because in order to get the overall length I need, I will have to use more then one set of rods. The rods I'm looking at from BBB seem quite sturdy, so I think one in the middle will be OK. Ideally, tho, I'd rather use two in addition to the one on each end. If I do that, tho, I wouldn't be able to bring the panels over the center section. I like your tip from the seamstress about the wand.

• User
    13 years ago

"sand" looks pink-toned, which appears to clash...

the tones in the "ivory" and your wall seem similar; both cooler tones....

From what I can see, I vote "ivory" ...

It could just be the photo, though... and there is always your carpet to consider too... does it match one more than the other?

• User
    13 years ago

The sand looks the best to me. One way to help you is to stand back from where you have this all laid out. Then put your hand in the "okay sign", holding it fairly close to your eye, and look through the circle made by your index finger and thumb. This isolates the colors/fabrics without all the confusion of what's around them. This is an old quilters trick for matching fabrics when quilting and I've found it works quite well in home decor too.

Even at that I'd wait until you have the rods hung and hang the panels since they won't be that close to the furniture in real life. Things don't always have to match exactly in color/tone to look perfect together. Lighting plays a role in this too and the lighting will most likely be different when the panels are hung.