SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lemonlime

How long does it take you to paint a room?

lemonlime
9 years ago

Just an average size room, say 15 x 15, with a typical doorway or two, a couple of windows, 8 or 9 ft ceilings, nothing fancy.

DH and I moved into our current house almost a year ago, and I just cannot get motivated to paint. I have no trouble choosing a color and buying the paint, but I balk at the ridiculous time commitment. It can easily take me 2-3 days to do a small and simple room, walls only.

This is the fourth (and hopefully final) house, so you would think I might've gotten speedier over the years, but no. I admit to being thorough and meticulous....but don't you have to be, otherwise why do your own painting? I'm always thrilled with the results, I just hate the process now.

Anyway, I'm curious. If you do your own painting, are you a slow painter or a fast painter? How long does it take you to paint a typical room?

I know I could hire a painter, and I do for exterior work, mostly I'm venting.

Comments (52)

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Oh, I thought it was just the walls.

I also hate to tape and NEVER use it. Ever. I find it makes a bigger mess. I have never used tape successfully.

The key to cutting in is obviously a slanted brush and then move the brush quickly when making the first line where the trim meets the floor or the ceiling (and keep a wet paper towel nearby in case you need it!). You make far fewer mistakes when you make that first cut-in line in a rapid motion.

I painted my entire house when I bought it three years ago, all but one bedroom and the trim around the windows on my porch. I did three ceilings, every window, every door, all trimâ¦I was so burned out by the time I was done, I swore I'd never pick up a paintbrush again. So kudos to those who paint for a living. I do not know how they do it, day in and day out for years. They deserve what they're paid.

But, three years later, I've just finished repainting m dining room and living room, and I just today finished painting the trim around the porch doors and windows! That was a very tough job because whoever glazed the windows didn't do a very good job, so I had to trim the glaze. I did hire someone to repaint my bedroom because I don't have a ladder tall enough to reach the high parts. Also just finished a HUGE job of taking LR windows out and cleaning them up of glaze, repainting both interior and exteriorâ¦ugh. That as a very tough job and took me I think two weeks to do six windows.

But boy, does it feel good when it's done knowing you did it yourself.

• Related Discussions

How long before you know a graft does not take?

Q

Comments (3)
    I decide a graft is dead when it shows signs of dessication in the form of longitutinal lines along the length of the scion. Shriveled up, in short.The green is a good sign. I don't know when a graft heals because I leave the parafilm on until it practically falls off by itself- months, usually. Good luck, M
    ...See More

When you pick mint sprigs, how long does it take to regrow?

Q

Comments (6)
    Undoubtedly someone will say that you can cut more than 1/3 off - they usually do when I say to leave 2/3's of the plant. Leaving 2/3's of the living plant is the rule of thumb for pruning and herb harvesting. Mint will survive a harder cutting than 1/3 off, but it will take it longer to bounce back and regrow enough for you to harvest from again. You're doing the right thing. Start small and slow with your harvesting. You'll get the feel pretty quickly as to how much you can take and how your plant will respond. And if you start slowly in regards to harvesting, you can learn without any of those, "oh, I shouldn't have done that" moments. FataMorgana
    ...See More

How long does it take you?

Q

Comments (12)
    See? I AM slow :) OK, let's see why it took me two hours (you know, it would have been 1 1/2 except I had to wait for DH to finish running on the treadmill now that I think about it). Turned on oven, scrubbed potatoes. I did not par boil. Cut potatoes in quarters, put them in pan sprayed with cooking oil. Added some garlic cloves and squooshed some garlic on. Added some fresh thyme. Olive oil on top, salt and pepper, stuck in oven. Planned it to cook for about an hour. Went online to find the recipe I used before for spaghetti squash (oops, there's a time problem). Cut the squash in half, removed seeds, added sliced garlic, olive oil, S&P, put on pan and stuck in oven. Should cook for 40 minutes. Cut up shallots, heated olive oil in pan, added shallots and cooked for 15 minutes. Added sugar and cooked for 5 minutes. Added balsamic vinegar and cooked for a couple minutes. Added broth and cooked for about 15 minutes to concentrate. Added thyme and S&P. OK, could have been ready at this point if I had started grilling the steaks. As I said though, I didn't want to do that until I knew DH was ready. So, let's say 30 extra minutes because of that. And I guess I don't just work constantly. I feed the dogs, I drink a glass of wine, I let the dogs in and out and in and out and in and out. Oh! and I have to constantly step over dogs while I'm cooking, that slows me down too Now I'm coming up with excuses. Ann_F
    ...See More

How long does it take you to fall asleep?

Q

Comments (30)
    I only go to sleep in minutes if I am VERY tired. OTOH, if I am truly EXHAUSTED, it takes longer. (Go figure.) I didn't have a problem until post-menopause. Now I have a generic for Ambien 5 mg that I will take if I can't get to sleep within an hour or can't get back to sleep if I wake before 3 a.m. (One or the other -- not two pills in one night.) I used the Ambien Monday night on the redeye home from Hawaii and got a good four hours more than my DH. Next time I'm going to add the blindfold to see if I can get even more.
    ...See More
  • lemonlime
    9 years ago

Nope, I meant just the walls, no ceiling. Although the room that needs tackling now does need the ceiling done, so that just adds to my reluctance.

I tend to stick to light to barely-medium colors so usually just a couple of coats are all it takes to cover. Fortunately this new house is a tolerable cream color.

You guys are confirming what I suspected -- an afternoon or a day max if just painting walls.

Tibbrix, I never use tape either, I cut in with an angle sash brush. I hear you, I put so many paint-hours into the house we sold before moving into this one, I haven't recovered from the burn-out yet. Hats off to you, it sounds like you've accomplished a ton.

• anele_gw
    9 years ago

FOREVER. I painted my DD's room recently. Hired painters with a deal, so they did the ceiling and patched holes, etc. Deal was for 2 coats, but it needed 3 coats and DD wanted a slightly different color, so I did it. It took many hours. I did tape but the time consuming part was covering the baseboards and floor.

One trick I saw was to hold your breath when you cut in around the ceiling. Helps you keep straight. It helps inexperienced people like me.

I need to paint 3 more rooms and, come spring finish painting the deck (I've worked on it many weekends and still not done). I don't mind the actual painting but it's hard to find time since I am so slow.

I have an old sign in my kitchen from my great aunt:
    I'm not a fast cook
    I'm not a slow cook
    I'm a half-fast cook

I should change it to painter!
    hahaha!

• gsciencechick
    9 years ago

Oh gosh, it can take me quite a few days. I figure if I am going to look at this for 5-10 years, I am going to do a meticulous job. Dh is not much help, so I do most of it myself. I use tape but I use a taping knife for the ceiling.

Prepare walls like clean, patch holes
    Paint Ceiling, two coats, usually two days
    Prime walls if needed, can be put on after 2nd ceiling coat
    Two coats paint
    Two coats trim

We have paint for the MBR and I'm not sure I will have time to do it.

• sergeantcuff
    9 years ago

I can manage walls, it's the radiators and windows that seem impossible. It's taken me WEEKS to clean, sand, prime and paint ONE room - just the windows - with my old wood windows with muntins separating the 6 over 6 panes of glass.

I also need uninterrupted stretches of time that don't come around often enough. So it's not done, and we've been in this house 16 years. Some exterior areas have already been painted twice. We are on a hamster wheel.

Adding : It takes me months to pick a wall color but only hours for DH for to splash it around on the walks (literally). I am too meticulous with the trim so it only gets done when the stars align.

This post was edited by maureeninmd on Thu, Nov 13, 14 at 23:03

• jakabedy
    9 years ago

10-12 years. Give or take.

• rosesstink
    9 years ago

lol jakabedy

I guess I'm slow. I don't mind the painting part so much. But getting ready to paint is a pain. Most of my rooms are small so furniture has to be moved out or pushed into the center and covered. Then I have to maneuver the ladder around the stuff in the room. It's a pain and time consuming. So I like jakabedy's 10-12 year time frame!

• julieboulangerie
    9 years ago

8 hours, total?

That includes time to patch holes, sand and scrape the walls, wash the walls, and paint two coats (cutting in twice and rolling twice), and clean up of tools, and possibly the dog's fur.

• Olychick
    9 years ago

Apparently, it takes me 17 years.

• amykath
    9 years ago

This is some great info! We are building and to save money in our already way over budget home, I will be painting. I can be quick but I am a terrible painter. With this house, it is really important I do a great job! I have always had shaky hands. That makes it difficult to cut in and make a nice straight line. Heaven only knows how long it will take me to paint over 2400 sq. ft! Yikes!

Seems like a lot of you have really had some painting time under your belt. Hats off to you.

• klem1
    9 years ago

.One coat,one room,walls only,about 6 to 7 hours plus 1 hour prep and 1 hour clean up. 8 to 9 hours total.

Three coats,one room,walls only,about 4 to 5 hours no prep and 2 hours trying to get 1 coat off carpet and 2 more geting secound coat off me plus 1 hour snipping dry paint and hair. 9 to 10 hours total

• allen456
    9 years ago

I'm with jakabeddy and olychick! First, my wife asks me to paint a room, then I consider it for 15 years before actually taking on the task.

Procrastination ain't easy!

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

I redid the walls in my bedroom 9' ceilings ... no ceiling or trim... one coat as it had the primer in the paint and it took an afternoon. I cut in by hand, no tape.

• oldfixer
    9 years ago

Walls only are less than a day project. Have done 3 ceilings, those old square acoustical tiles, without moving any furniture, in 90 minutes.

• jmc01
    9 years ago

Kitchen
    Dining room
    Living room
    Bathroom
    2 bedrooms
    Front entryway

All ceilings and walls of said rooms were painted by me in 1 wk - 2 coats everywhere. No trim because it's all shellac over original 1919 stain.

I am a perfectionist.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Lol. Some of these responses are hilarious.

I hear you, Maureeninmind. As I said, I just finished six of my nine LR windows ,which like yours are old and have the muntins. All I wanted to do was wash the storms and exteriors of the windows. But because of the deep sill and the fact that the lower windows are taller than the uppers, in order to wash them, I actually have to take the sashes off and take the windows out, which then led to the discovery that they were painted in, which meant I had to break the paint seal, which caused the paint around it to chip, which meant I had to strip and sand thereâ¦.it was like a snowball rolling down a mountain. However, I took advantage and did them correctly, so they'll be a lot easier to clean and deal with in the future. They were also held in my this ancient metal rod contraption thing, and it took me a day to figure out how to release them.

As for walls, though, if you can get cutting in down pat (again, slant the brish right up to the edge and move it FAST) and have a good radio station on and sing along, it goes a lot faster and less painful.

How professional painters do it, I'll never know. Day after day, year after year⦠I'd be in the funny farm.

• jlj48
    9 years ago

For me, 3 days. One to empty the room or move it all to the middle and prep the walls, day 2 is the painting, day three is the fun part- putting it all back together. I'm always so excited because the walls look so great and so many things DON'T make it back into the room because the room looks so awesome as is!

• Rudebekia
    9 years ago

For you experienced painters--trim or walls first? Am about to paint four small bedrooms and a hall.

• lemonlime
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Some funny responses here. Julieboulangerie, yes, why is that wet paint is like a dog magnet??

Well, I have the day off and it's 0 degrees, so maybe I'll stay in and get started on the ceiling.

Oh yes, agree that music helps a lot. That, and the promise of an adult beverage at the end of the day.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Marita, trim first. One of the hardest things to paint is, say, window trim that juts out from the wall by 1/2 inchâ¦or whatever. It's very hard to paint that w/o getting paint on the wall (that is the one time I do use painter's tape). But since you're also painting the walls, if/when you get paint on the walls from painting the trim, it won't matter because you'll be painting the walls later.

• franksmom_2010
    9 years ago

I'd say 1-2 days.

Move furniture
    Patch and clean walls
    tape any critical areas ( I never tape the whole thing) it's faster, easier and more acurate to just cut in with the brush and catch any mistakes with a damp rag.
    paint one coat and collapse, if I don't have it in me to carry on, clean up/ibuprofen/rest
    paint the second coat
    clean up
    put everything back

I'm a pretty good painter, but I'm usually too tired after the first coat to keep going. I did one large room in a single day and couldn't hardly move for the next three days. I'd rather take two days, do a better job, and still be able to lift my arms when I'm done.

• bonnieann925
    9 years ago

It would take me a few hours to paint a room the size of yours. It's mind of matter! Once I decide to do it I make a plan, buy the products, put my painting clothes on and go non-stop. Listening to music really helps.

My one bit of advise is to buy the best brush and rollers/supplies. You will get a better result. I always use Benjamin Moore paint and swear by it, but I know others have had great results with other brands.

Just do it! LOL!

• justretired
    9 years ago

Lots of great advice here so I only have one thing to add: I try to prepare the room I am going to paint the night before.

I relocate all small furniture pieces (i.e. lamps, end tables, ottomans), remove all of the switch plates/outlet covers, take down the pictures and so on. Then I collect and spread my drop cloths,put out the brushes, pans, wiping cloth etc. That way when I get up in the morning I am set to paint.

I hate when I am going to paint a room but have to spend an hour or two getting the room READY to paint. In the time it takes to do all of that you can be well on your way to having the first coat done.

I have painted and then repainted my family room and adjacent hallway and basement landing twice (2 coats each) in the last month because I did not like the initial colors I chose. So I speak from experience:)

Git er' done, gal! You will be so glad you did.

• jellytoast
    9 years ago

justretired, I love your idea. I have so much painting that I've been putting off ... just thinking about it gives me anxiety. Splitting things up into two more manageable activities instead of one overwhelming one makes a lot of sense.

• jmc01
    9 years ago

Marita, ceiling, trim, walls. In that order.

• User
    9 years ago

A few days. I feel like the small rooms take just as long depending on what you're working around (laundry room). I usually will leave a day between coats for dry time and a break.

I don't tape at the ceiling, but tape off everything else. I would always have the paint bleed through no matter what type I used and how well and perfect I thought it was down. I learned to tape, seal with the same color paint, then paint and when you peel the tape back it is perfect. When I repaint the kitchen in a few weeks I'll be fixing the paint at the base moulding since this room was painted before I used the trick.

• TxMarti
    9 years ago

If I have to do it myself, it will take me about a week.

One day to dread the prep and buy the paint
    One day to clear out space in another room to put stuff.
    One day to move out everything except the big heavy stuff like sofa or bed (and I'd move that out if I could), cover the floor, furniture, remove plug and switch covers, and loosen & cover light fixtures
    A day or two to paint, depending on number of colors used and how many coats
    A day or two to paint trim and doors, again depending on number of coats and how much trim. I don't tape, just load the brush carefully.
    A day to put everything back together.

So about a week.

• justsaying
    9 years ago

Well it took me a month to do walls & trim in a 15x15' den. I get all finicky and drive myself nuts with things like goobers of paint from prev.owner, a hair stuck in the paint, a pin hole that I didn't see and didn't get spackled. I do use a lot of tape just because I find it easier. DH has offered to help but, and I know this is awful, but I hate the way he paints! He doesn't use enough paint and I can see bare patches and I'm just the opposite, I use too much paint. My only advice is don't skimp on the quality of paint or your brushes and rollers because it makes a world of difference in the end result. There is nothing like completing the job and standing back to admire it (and wondering if I picked the right color:)

• weedyacres
    9 years ago

When I saw the title I was thinking in terms of hours, not days. I guess, by reading all the responses, I'm a fast painter. It takes me around 2 hours to paint the walls of a room with 1 coat. I don't tape, I freehand it all. Prep is maybe an hour max, trim adds time, of course. I'll do the 2nd coat later the same day, and it is faster than the 1st coat.

We're redoing a bedroom over Thanksgiving weekend, so now, of course, I'm curious to see if my estimate is accurate. Yeah, I'll be timing myself. :-)

• User
    9 years ago

I haven't painted in quite a few years but I definitely took a lot longer than most of you. I think I also tired quicker so could not do 4 or 5 hours straight....and knowing that I needed to clean up etc, it went on for multiple days.

• Rudebekia
    9 years ago

Since we are on the topic, how about more painting tips?

Best brushes?
    Best rollers?
    Best caulk?
    Favorite paint?
    Favorite primer?
    etc.

Just starting a big painting project and gathering information. I haven't done this is quite awhile.

• mushcreek
    9 years ago

I'm reminded of a Mr. Bean episode where he painted his kitchen in a few seconds, with a pail of paint and some kind of explosive. Everything was the same color- walls, ceiling, appliances, pictures on the wall.....

I can usually do a simple re-paint (walls) in half a day or so, assuming minimal prep. If the existing paint is in poor shape, its a whole different game. I don't take the furniture out of the room unless it is very crowded, or I am doing the ceiling.

• mushcreek
    9 years ago

I'm reminded of a Mr. Bean episode where he painted his kitchen in a few seconds, with a pail of paint and some kind of explosive. Everything was the same color- walls, ceiling, appliances, pictures on the wall.....

I can usually do a simple re-paint (walls) in half a day or so, assuming minimal prep. If the existing paint is in poor shape, its a whole different game. I don't take the furniture out of the room unless it is very crowded, or I am doing the ceiling.

• patricianat
    9 years ago

My painter charges $250-500 an hour depending on prep work, etc. I have to figure in my taxes, etc,, in my earning enough to pay him. It takes me a while to earn what he is going to charge me painting for my 2300 sq ft house. That's how I figure my cost. He is slow since he charges by the hour. I need to buy a cattle prod..... I tried to tell him he's not van Gogh, but...

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

Here's a nice video on how to cut in the ceiling.

Here is a link that might be useful: How to cut

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

Another key is to use enough paint on your roller so you get good coverage the first time. Always work to a wet edge so you don't get overlap marks. And listen. You will hear the sound change as the roller starts to get dry. When you hear that "sticking" sound, it's time to reload. Also, use flat paint. If you need to go over it to touch up, it will remain flat. Paint with any sheen to it will show the touch ups because each coat will make that area shinier. If you are painting a room with a paint with gloss then do be very careful about getting it well covered while it's wet and try not to need to go back to do touch ups. While the wall is still wet, take a bright light like a drop light and look over the wall for any missed spots before moving on.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Marita, I really like Zinsser Bullseye primer. It goes on easily and it dries quickly.

For the most part, I use Purdy and Picasso brushes, and Purdy rollers. Ask at your paint store about the right brush. Depth, angle, straight, bristle material, purpose of the brush (i.e: cutting in versus painting a door, for example), type of paint being usedâ¦so many factors.

For tight areas, use a brush with a short handle.

Those cheapo plastic things you can put on the inside of the galling paint can are great for pouring paint out of the fan and not getting it all in the groove where the lid goes.

Important thing about rollers is the depth of the pile. Usually you want a 3/8 roller, but if you have ruddy walls, you need a roller with a deeper pile.

Only paints I've used have been BM Regal and Aura (exterior) Sherwin Williams Cashmere, and Pratt and Lambert. Really like the Regal and Cashmere, and the Aura exterior is gorgeous, like thick silk. I really disliked the Pratt & Lambert paint. It was like water and so difficult to work with.

I'm sure you know to just wrap a brush in plastic wrap if you're going to use it again. Works overnight as well. Only with latex paint, though.

Keep a wet rag with you while painting so you can wipe mistakes up right away.

• franksmom_2010
    9 years ago

I use brushes by either Wooster or Purdy. A Chinex bristle cleans off like Teflon.

I use Purdy White Dove rollers. I buy enough so that I can just throw them away, rather than trying to get all of the paint rinsed out.

I use a small craft brush for really tight areas or small touch ups.

I save my old vinyl shower curtain liners to use as drop cloths.

Alex II latex paintable caulk

Stir the paint every time before you pour from the bucket to the tray.

I use an old toothbrush and rubbing alcohol to get the last bits of paint out of the brush.

What killed me on the last room, was that I had the paint tray on the floor, and bending over to reload the roller over and over again just wore out my knees and hips. Next time I'll find a way to have it at table height to save my joints and muscles.

If you have ceilings higher than 8' spend the $3 for a pole extension for the roller.

Take your time and do it safely and correctly, even if it takes another few hours or days.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

I take old half gallon milk containers and cut the top off to make a small container to put the paint in for cutting. This way I can easily hold it in one hand and brush with the other, have a nice straight edge to wipe the brush with and not worry about tipping or knocking over the awkward paint roller tray which I'm want to do.

I'm also a big fan of the 5 in 1 tool, thank you Matt Fox, for so many uses, including the arc cut out which is a roller scraper...amazing how much paint you can squeeze out of the roller when the job is done...

• Christy Bell
    9 years ago

1 day - prep and put back. Standard size room.

• lemonlime
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Total time to patch a few small holes from light fixture replacement, clean and paint the kitchen/dining area ceiling, 6 hours. It just needed one refresh coat in the same white.

Today it took 2 hours to cut in the walls in dining area only. I decided to maintain sanity and do the kitchen later even though it's a large shared space.

I really don't like to paint in any condition other than full daylight, so I doubt it will be completed until next weekend. I chose SW Contented which looks fantastic with the cherry table. Can't wait to get it done before TG is upon us.

Another Purdy paintbrush user here. I have some little short-handled angle sash brushes that I love for cutting in. Great for tight corners. Also like the White Dove roller covers. I always get the nap suggested for whatever texture I'm painting.

This house has tile windowsills throughout, which I like. I do not like the fleshy bandaid color so I primed with INSLX Stix, and topped with PPG Breakthrough paint. Both are awesome (but smelly).

• igloochic
    9 years ago

I always figure three to six weeks to do a room without ceilings.

I live in a Victorian and painting includes typically removal of some horribly insipid wallpaper, skim coating the walls, sanding and painting trim and oh Ya, the floors are always a mess.

In between work sessions I must download sixteen mods to minecraft for DS 1 and take DS 2 potty 700 times.

Good times.....then there is the time needed to shop for wine (oddly enough the liquor store is near the paint store).

• lynninnewmexico
    9 years ago

Way, way too long! I am so klutzy that my DH much prefers I never help paint. I step into paint pans, back up against newly painted walls and tip over things . I can do so many things very well, but painting is definitely NOT one of them! Somebody please come and paint my house for free room, board, wine and great mountain views!
    Lynn

• finallyhome
    9 years ago

10 minutes - Pick up paint strip from Sherwin Williams up the street
    10 minutes - Call handy man explain job
    15 minutes - Pick up clothes around house
    10 minutes - Review painters work
    5 minutes pay handy man

Total time: 50 minutes

• sombreuil_mongrel
    9 years ago

I mentally reviewed a bunch of projects here at my house and for customers (I occasionally paint) and realized the range is from a couple of hours (new work, small room, ideal drying conditions, and lack of any hassles) to over 40 days: Large room, 3 additional adjoining spaces, ante-room, hallway, walk-in closet with window) woodwork that needed a month of prep work, including heat-gun stripping 1/8" of white paint off a compo-decorated mantel, many weeks by itself. It needed ceiling and wall plaster repair, and there were part or all of seven doors to do. The trim had been spoiled by applying latex over oil with no sanding, so the peeling mess had to be removed somehow. It was also a drastic color change, so 2 coats of oil primer, sanding in between, oil enamel on all those doors and trims.
    Fortunately, I do not play Minecraft or I can see where it may have taken even longer (Hi Igloochic!)
    Here's how it turned out:

Casey

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    9 years ago

Gorgeous, Casey.

There's how long it takes, and there's how long it feels like it takes. For me, the lack of mental stimulation while doing tedious work is the biggest issue. While I am a slow painter and somewhat inept, I can paint new construction when it still has subfloors. I have found that painting with someone else is great (one cuts in while the other rolls the main surfaces) since it gives me someone to chat with. If another person isn't available, music is good, but I prefer recorded books since it occupies the part of my brain that would get bored without something going on while the purely visual part of my mind is occupied cutting straight edges and checking for full coverage.

For a bit longer than overnight storage of brushes without cleaning, wrapping in plastic and refrigerating works well.

• lazy_gardens
    9 years ago

Walls only, covering pale with pale ... about a day.

1 - Learn to cut in without taping, or get a paint shield. I use a wide plastic drywall blade where I need to protect. Have a wet rag so you can wipe off the woodwork if you slop over. And feather the edges several inches into the wall area.

2 - Set a pattern and stick to it. I try to roll top to bottom about 4 feet wide, ending with finishing strokes top to bottom. With a taller room, I do the top part with the scaffold, feathering it down, and then the bottom half, feathering it up. Because I'm a consistent painter, I don't end up with a darker band in the middle

3 - Learn to roll evenly with good coverage so you only need one coat. Most people spread the paint too thin and end up with streaks and blotches and a second coat. Figure 350-400 square feet per gallon.

4 - Use roller handle extensions or a scaffold so you aren't doing ladder climbing all day.

5 - Don't look back! Paint looks really bad while it's drying. Just keep going, then walk out and don't come back for a couple of hours.

• schicksal
    9 years ago

I can normally do it in one day. Baseboards against a hardwood floor will often be taped just because I'm a bit nervous about it, but that doesn't take long anyway. I'm talking minor wall issues + sanding + 2 coats, and I can juggle a second room while the first one is drying.

Now if the room starts Barney purple like this one did...

2 coats of primer later

DLP TV hidey hole gone and two coats of blue...

Three years, a major renovation and a color change later... We like it white best. No tape was used anywhere and it was about a day to prime the existing walls + new sheetrock, then a day to paint.

• illusionsgame
    6 years ago

So many funny comments! I used to do 2 small rooms per day in a 6 hour day: that is for walls only with some touch-ups. Once you have a method, it goes fast. A room like the image below took me a week: it was varnished oak and they wanted white. Mucho Primero. Got me in this magazine...

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths