SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
arlosmom

frustrated with my difficult living room (pics)

arlosmom
12 years ago

My living room is a very difficult room. It's small -- only about 14' by 14' 4". It has no uninterrupted walls. Two walls have large openings for pocket doors, one wall has the fireplace and two windows, and the last wall has a big window.

I like each individual thing that I have in this room, but all together I feel like it's too busy, too contrast-y, too "done". Here's my starting point...from the front entry looking at the south wall:

Toward the dining room (west wall):

Back toward the entry (north wall; the woodwork will by stained to match the other dark chestnut):

And then toward the front window (east wall):

The woodwork has to stay its in current dark, unpainted state. It's chestnut and we love it...it's one of the first things we loved about the house. I recently painted the walls BM Manchester Tan and I'm pretty happy with the color. Floors are heart pine, so pretty orangy/reddish.

In trying things out, I traded the settee (which bugged me because it looked crowded and maybe too fancy for the space) for a leather chair we had upstairs. The polka dotted pillow doesn't need to stay...it was on the chair already. I think this is an improvement? maybe? The extra space allowed me to center the table under the picture, which I couldn't do with the settee. I played around with accessories on the table and mantle.

Today I went to Ikea and bought unbleached linen curtains. I hung one to see what it looks like. It hasn't been ironed or hemmed in the photo. I don't know if it looks more calm and serene (good) or blah (bad). Opinions?

I feel like I'm floundering with this room. Help!!! Please!!! Thanks.

Comments (52)