SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
misenplace

Critique (and help with) my Living Room (pics)

misenplace
13 years ago

I read the forums often and am so inspired by all of your decorating wisdom, and am finally ready for some help with one of my rooms! The house is an 1874 Italianate Victorian, with lovely bones. This is our "formal" living room -- though it is right next to the playroom so excuse any toys in the pics.

Trim around doors was painted when we moved in. I don't love the look, but the doors are too gorgeous to paint over, and I doubt we will get to stripping the trim anytime soon (which was our original plan).

This is the view from the playroom (and kitchen is just behind playroom).

Feel free to re-enforce how much that ceiling light fixture (which came with the house) needs to be replaced, because DH & I disagree on this one, and I will be sending him here to read comments :)

I can also see from this pic that the radiator desperately needs to be painted, though not sure when that will get done.

I feel like something besides the wood frame chairs needs to be in front of the bay window, but I can't figure out what...suggestions?

Close-up of bay window:

Scale of gold mirror on the left is too small...working on a replacement. Do I also need something on wall left of couch?

(ignore the shadow from lampshade on wall)

I've removed the photowall behind these chairs -- It's been up forever and I need a change. Thinking of a print of a vintage Paris map (which is a special place for DH & me). Chairs are slipcovered CL, and I did not straighten them or fluff pillows before snapping the pic...lol. Chairs are usually shifted to left away from door frame.

What do you do to hide cords behind a table like this?

All suggestions welcome!

Comments (25)