SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bungalow_house

old house - need ideas for tricky front hall/stairway

bungalow_house
16 years ago

You guys have some really good ideas so I'm coming out of lurkdom for some advice!

I have a 1922 bungalow that we have owned for a year and are pain-stakingly restoring. It has a narrow front hall, so there is no hope of ever getting a table or hall tree in it. There is a coat closet, but I like having hooks for a small number of items. I have an accordian-style expandable black iron coat rack (you know the kind you usually see made out of wood) that I would like to put up, and I have an old oblong mirror. A shelf would be good too but I don't currently have one. I can't come up with a way to incorporate these things on this wall. I also have a rather petite black ladder-back chair with a rush seat that fits ok in the corner, but again, I can't envision how to incorporate it with the coat rack/mirror/shelf idea. And FWIW, there is a little bit of wall space opposite this wall, over the radiator, but the mirror that I already have is too big for that spot. I'm not in love with the prints that are currently on the wall there because they seem too formal to me, but they are family pieces, and we have 14 of them, I think, so I thought I should use them.

And while I'm at it, I've added pictures of the stairway. There is a window at the landing that is very high. The bottom of it is roughly 5' from the floor. (The siding changes outside from claps on the first floor to shingles on the second floor, that's why the window is up so high, to clear the transition.) When I put the plant on the landing recently, it became really obvious to me that I need stuff there to visually pull the window down. My problem is that I have never been a fan of photos or prints on a stairwell wall because I always feel like I'm going to fall if I look at them while I'm walking up or down. :) But I suppose I need something to deal with the window, so advice there would be appreciated too! (Maybe those 14 black prints -- but how?)

If you would like to see other pics, let me know.

Thanks!

Comments (21)