SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ecf1216_gw

Please help me with my layout

ecf1216
12 years ago

Thanks to those of you who commented on my first attempt several weeks ago. DH and I have gone in a new direction, which includes moving a wall to accomodate a large island in our new design.

I would love to hear any and all feedback you may have on this new layout. My main concerns at this time:

1. Is the island too big for the space/house? It is currently drawn at 60x120". We have 8-foot ceilings and a "nice" home, but certainly not a "grand" home. If it is deemed too big, what would a more appropriate size be?

2. As you'll see in the "current" photos below, our eating nook is really cramped between our peninsula and the family room. We thought we could use the end of the island as our kitchen table, and do away with the nook space. At this point, we've got 48" on each side of the end of the island with a 15-inch overhang, plus the 60" across the end - will that work? That will open up much better access to our french doors to the deck and into the family room. We'd like to be able to seat 4-6 at the end of the island. There are 4 of us, but we have kids' friends, etc. around quite a bit. We do also have a formal dining room.

3. I envision most of the prep work being done at the range end of the island and the sink side of the island. Where would you put a prep sink? Or would you put one on the island at all?

4. We had one KD suggest we put the pantry where you see it now, at the end of the refrigerator wall. Another KD suggested we put it between the refrig and wall oven/mw and move the open counterspace to the end of the run. Any thoughts on that? The KD who suggested the second option said we should put a bar sink in the open counter for hand washing and water drinking, and use the main sink for prep.

Here are a couple of "before" photos:

We will be extending the hardwood floors into the family room and dining room, and putting new furniture into the FR, fyi.

Here is the new layout. It is the refrigerator wall that has been moved "back" two feet in this drawing:

Thanks in advance for any help you can give. I really appreciate and look forward to your input!

Comments (7)