SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ecf1216_gw

Please help me with my kitchen layout!

ecf1216
12 years ago

We are starting our kitchen remodel, and I (like so many others) feel so lucky to have found this site! I've been lurking for a couple of months now, and finally have a kitchen layout of my own to post for your comments. And, honestly, I/we would love any and all comments you can provide!

First, a little information... We are a family of four -- me, husband and two sons (10 and 13). Our kitchen is definitely the "heart of our home." We hang out there, kids do homework at the kitchen table, we play board games at the table, boys eat breakfast at the peninsula counter every morning, other meals are eaten at the table. I cook breakfast every morning for the kids and cook dinner at home 90% of the time. Kids' friends are around a lot, and DH and I love to entertain (informally) -- again, hanging around the kitchen. French doors by the kitchen table got out to the deck with BBQ, so all cooking is pretty much in the same general area.

I am the primary cook, but my husband likes to help and both boys are getting more interested in cooking as well. Everyone helps (to a point) with cleanup.

Our kitchen works pretty well as it is, but I'm guessing there's lots of room for improvement. Especially in functional areas, like utilizing drawers and roll-out shelves instead of our current deep-cave cabinets. We'd love to open up more space in the eating nook area, if possible, but we've been dealing with it the way it is and it's been fine, just a little tight. That may be helped by getting a round table and moving the current couch out of the way of the area (see photos below).

We plan to replace the current hardwood floors and extend them into both the dining room and family room, so we hope that will help to visually enlarge the space. The FR reno comes after the kitchen -- new fireplace, furniture, etc.

For appliances, we are planning:

36" all gas range

36" hood

24" dishwasher

30" electric wall oven

microwave above wall oven

36" refrigerator

Whew. I hope that's enough information to get started. Now for the photos/drawings:

Current kitchen and surrounding space:

View into eating nook and family room:

Refrigerator/oven/pantry wall:

View from family room:

View entering the house, from front door:

Floorplan:

Overall perspective:

Range wall - hood is not shown, top right corner cab is hinged to open as it turns to the next wall, bottom right cab will have a lazy susan:

Sink wall:

Peninsula cabinets -- are the drawers good in equal size like this? Should one set be wider and the other narrower?:

Other side of peninsula -- Two drawers, the rest are decorative:

Pantry/oven/fridge wall -- Should the position of the refrigerator and pantry be switched? We can shorten the wall on the right side by widening the doorway into the dining room. We will remove current wall on left side. We thought by putting the counter at that end, we might break up some of the runway look as you enter the house (see earlier photo from front door) and make a spot for a bar when entertaining that won't pull people into the work space.:

Thanks in advance for your input!

Comments (21)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH