SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
maruha

Please help me tweak my layout (pics)

maruha
13 years ago

We need to finalize this ASAP because we need to get the cabinet guys our final measurements.

I say tweak because we really think this is the best work triangle situation, given our kitchen situation. I have gone round and round, trying other layouts, and even though I know it�s a bit tight on the sink wall, I like it better than everything else I have laid out.

I really wanted all the working to be inside of the island to divert traffic. There is a lot of traffic between the other parts of the house out to the garage, which is where the door on the left leads to. I really want to have as much kitchen seating as possible. I have two preschoolers who we cook a lot with, and I like the idea of having space for them to sit across from us as we cook.

Range-

How much space on either side? Should we scoot it slightly to the left? Should I have 24 in of space between the sink and range? To the left of the sink, we are going to do an 18" trash/recycle pullout, but I am not sure what to do with the extra inches between the pullout and the range.

Microwave-

DH thinks we should put it in upper cabinets next to the refrigerator. I am concerned that the depth of the uppers needed to house it will look weird and eat up the precious little upper cabinet space we have. I am trying to sell him on a microwave drawer, but am not sure where to put it. In the island across from the sink?

Island-Is 12inches of overhang sufficient with tuck under stools? We are doing 15 inches of overhang on the peninsula, but the contractor suggested we keep it to 12in so that the line from the island to the edge of the refrigerator is straight. We have plenty of clearange behind to move it back, but I don�t know if it will look bad. What do you think?

Pantry-

The cabinets on the bottom of the floor plan are going to be floor to ceiling. Right now I have a small broom closet nearest the garage, and a 36in pantry, but I have extra cabinet space next to it, and in the screencaps I think it looks weird. Should I have two smaller pantries and then a broom closet? How wide should I do a broom closet or pullout?

Thank you so much for your input!

Layout:

Screencaps (a few things look wonky bc I am still learning software.)

Desk/Pantry view:

View from DR:

Garage Door corner view:

Comments (9)