SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
aokat15_gw

worn out from tweaking our layout... could use your help

aokat15
13 years ago

Let me start by apologizing that this will be long-winded and pic heavy. I am just so worn out from tweaking our layout that I don't even know what I like or want anymore! I have been looking at inspirational websites, scouring the web for similar shaped kitchens and I seriously don't know how much more I can take. Every time I think I have put together the *perfect* space, I question the placement of something or I see a different kitchen element and start redoing the layout. Anyway, here is the current layout and pics of the walls - what do you think?

Layout (family room to the left, eat in table in between island and family room, deck out the double doors)

Sink wall

Range wall

Fridge wall

Wall b/w family room and eat in area

What I'm really struggling with is the window size and placement. This is in an addition so we have flexibility as to size and placement of the windows. We need to have a window on either side of the range and I wanted to have our clean-up sink looking out to the deck/yard with a window above that. Ideally I would like a massive span of windows over the sink, but I have been hesitant to go bigger than 5 feet (what I have in these pics) as I'm nervous about the lack of uppers for glass/dish storage, and for resale (hopefully we won't need to move for a long time but DH's occupation is always somewhat subject to the possibility). I also have been unsure of the balance of the space if all the storage is on the fridge wall and in the pantry. If I knew that we would definitely be in this house for 15-20 years, I would do very minimal uppers and as many windows as I could... so I'm trying to find just the right balance to get that feel of a lot of natural light and minimal uppers while getting enough balanced storage that it wouldn't be a drawback to our house if we had to sell.

I'm also struggling with the range wall. I have drawn in a large boxed in hood - which I really like. I want a dramatic hood and want the windows on either side to be at least 2.5 feet (right now they are at 3). I've drawn out many layouts with smaller hoods that don't go down to the counters and like that as well, but I just want to make sure it works for that long span of wall.

Anyway, I'd really appreciate some thoughts and criticism on our current layout and any ideas for changes given all I have said. I have already gotten some good feedback on the boxed in range hood and realize the drawbacks with that (landing space around the range, etc). Thanks so much in advance for your help!

Comments (61)

• rhome410
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I am my KD. ;-) I have Chief Architect software due to dh's job, but they make all the Better Homes and Gardens home design softwares for homeowners. There are different versions with different features, so different pricepoints. There are a couple ways to compare the different versions on the website. The prices are much better at Costco or on Amazon, so don't be discouraged by the retail prices listed on the site. You don't need one of the more expensive ones just to do a kitchen, but you might want to do more once you have it if you're planning your whole house and yard.

Here is a link that might be useful: BH&G software

• rhome410
    13 years ago

A little embarrassed...Thought aokat15 was asking about software after I posted the pics, then realized, DUH, there are already renderings for that kitchen! Anyway, chgojudyinaz, I still hope you find the info helpful about the software, and feel free to ask questions about it on the forum, as a few (or more) of us have it and there are tricks you can use to make it create what you want if something isn't in the library.

• Related Discussions

Help on tweaks of Layout

Q

Comments (26)
    Rhome- He cleans up, sets table (with kids), I do the cooking, because I like too. In the banquet plan, I left space for a free standing can between the hutch and fridge. Now, I could put my recycle in a few locations: 1. In it's own 15 cabinet (where the 18" is now) 2. Under the banquet 3. Under the sink I'm leaning toward the 15" cab because then I could switch recycle/trash between it and the can. Right now I prep into a grocery bag on the counter, then after dinner take it to the can right outside the back door. Sort of like Rachel Ray's Bowl. The problem with this is that we are moving that door, so this will not be convenient in the future.
    ...See More

help with layout tweaking, or should I just walk away?

Q

Comments (8)
    Which ways do the fridge & freezer doors swing? And where is your plunk space for these appliances? Hot pots can be pivoted to the counter under the open shelves, right? That's an aisle of less than 42", but what? If the fridge is hinged on user left, then island counter will be the plunk space. Is the distance short enough you can pick 'n put without taking steps? (You can make a rough measure of the diagonal distance using a scrap of your graph paper as a "ruler".) What about the freezer? Is the ice on the door, or do you need to open and scoop, does that involve having to set a container down - where is best? This possibility is a bit off the wall (literally) but have you considered whether there is space to put the wall oven/MW on the opposite side of that passage way, i.e just around the corner from the cooktop, even if it meant stealing a bit of space from the pantry? This would unify all the cooking stuff - I often move a pot from rangetop to oven or from MW to cooktop. And both hot uses could share a hot-tolerant plunk space. It would also allow you to have a countertop between fridge and freezer for plunking or even for packaging of leftovers in tupperware, vacuum packs, etc. I know we are straying from your already-ordered cab list, but maybe it can be rejiggered somehow. The principle of KISS (keep it simple) has a great deal of value, but at the same time, occasionally new (better) ideas pop up. Or old ideas are tested against new ideas and found to be better, which is very reassuring. Hope this helps, not hinders, your progress. L.
    ...See More

Help me tweak final layout...

Q

Comments (122)
    I'm confused by your questions -- why would you lose counter space on either side of the cooktop? -- which probably means you were confused by my suggestion, so here goes another try. (1) Keep the DO and hutch on the same wall. (2) Drywall the corner 2'X2' space and make a closet opening into the hallway (who doesn't need an extra closet?) (3) Put the double ovens next to the drywalled closet on the same wall as the hutch. You can either enclose the ovens in a cabinet or in drywall (check the FKB -- I've seen a couple of examples of this). (4) Put the hutch next to the DO cabinet or wall space. Take a look at mnhockeymom's finished kitchen. She has a snack center hutch that will give you design ideas. Also, google hoosier cabinets. I would give the hutch a beadboard back instead of backsplash and use corbels and different type of countertop material, to give it a finished/separate hutch appearance. Have two glass cabs that are longer than the center bookcase area (or glass cabs in the center and longer bookcase areas on either side of that) so that there would be a 12" longer cab, a 36" center and a 12" longer cab for the top part of the hutch. Finish out with decorative trim pieces along the bottom and sides of the three wall/upper pieces of the hutch. You would still have 36" runs of counter and wall cabs next to your range on both sides (have the closet built a tad deeper than normal so that you don't lose the symmetry of that wall; you can always use shelves in that closet that are shallower than the closet depth for functionality -- or make it a coats & brooms closet with only the one shelf above the rod plus hooks on the sides for your vaccuums/mops/etc. Personally, I think having the hutch on the end instead of the double oven will draw attention to the hutch. Having it sandwiched between a double oven and a wall will make it appear to be part and parcel to the rest of the fitted kitchen.
    ...See More

Tweak this layout please! Pretty please! TImes out

Q

Comments (6)
    Buehl, Glad to have your eyes here!!! Banquette vs bench / couch and where it would best go ( south window vs east wall) is now an open question. From the sixth photo on are my drawings with measurements including height of windows from floor and to walls. I think I covered that. I'm on iPhone right now so harder to check really well but I just looked at my picassa album and it looks like those measurements are there. BT
    ...See More
  • aokat15
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you so much for your responses! Thank you for great ideas about the prep sink - rhome, I don't *have* to have a second dishwasher - I'm fine with one, it was just something a KD suggested along the way. Should I forego the drawers in the island, make the prep sink bigger, and just go with the one dw by the main sink? Also - I have a meeting with my architect tomorrow and will ask about the patio doors. He has the two as they are to mirror the two in the family room - I think it makes the back elevation look great but maybe there is some flexibility as I've been trying to do more of a hutch on the right of the sink and just haven't had the room with the doors where they are. Thank you!

My elevations are from the Home Designer Suite program - I think it's $99 on their website but I downloaded it for $75 or so from Amazon. We're doing a full house remodel (addition, interior, exterior, landscape) so I wanted to have more options, but I think there were some other more affordable versions as well. I am SO happy I bought it - I spent way too long before that drawing things out on graph paper... and the 3D really helps me see everything from all the different angles. It took me a good day to get used to it, but after that it was much smoother.

• rhome410
    13 years ago

Dishwashers (1 or 2): Did you say how large your family is, and/or how much you entertain? I love having 2, but our family is large. Others with smaller families also love the flexibility and help offered by 2. So it depends, in that case, if you want to give up the lower cabinet space. Doesn't seem like you are short on storage!

Maybe do a triple pane door in each room? Or I think it could be nice on the exterior elevation to have the 2 in the one room, the one by the kitchen eating space, and the larger window in the kitchen.

• aokat15
    Original Author
    13 years ago

We have two small children (hope to have more) and my sister stays with us often. We don't entertain much now but have grand plans once we have the bigger space :)

Thanks for your ideas for the doors!! I will talk to my architect about it tomorrow and keep you posted. Thanks!

• rookie_2010
    13 years ago

Aokat,
    I just thought of one small thing, don't know if anyone else brought it up as I only skimmed through.
    Over the sink window, for either layout, maybe an open shelf up there?

• aokat15
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks, Rookie - I saw some photos like that on houzz that were beautiful - I will try drawing some in to see how it looks :)

Also, in general on the boxed in range hood... I realize the drawbacks but still really like them. I was planning on having open shelves in the legs for spices, oils, etc and there would be 12-15 inches of landing space on either side of the range. The best light will come in from the sink wall and doors. What do you all think of that amount of landing space and the easy access to spices on the open shelves?

If we don't do the boxed in hood, and did a different hood I think it would have to be smaller in width and then that poses the question of what to do on that wall - would we do uppers, window, hood, windows, uppers? If so there isn't very much room to put uppers in in the corner. Any thoughts on that design?

• User
    13 years ago

I know you like the large hood, but it blocks the light from the windows and is trying to be dominating presence in your kitchen instead of the windows. Since you wanted a window wall, I'm thinking you want the windows to be the dominant feature. The two are fighting against each other to be the focal point. You can't have two major focal points like that fighting over which is the LOUDEST statement. So, decide if you want your windows to the the key feature or your range hood. It would look just fine to expand the windows on either side of the range and use a plain stainless chimney hood that would let the windows be the star. Or it would look fine to narrow up or eliminate the windows to either side of the range and let the hood be the star. It looks heavy and "wrong" against the larger windows you currently have indicated, especially with the sink window being such a large feature. It would be more consistant in feeling to have the larger windows next to the range.

• lascatx
    13 years ago

I'm going to agree with pretty much everything rhome said -- I think the sink placement is fine and like the range across from the long side of the island. That's where mine is and it works well. If you have 2 DWs, I would put them with your main sink and use that wall for dish and glassware storage.

I also agree with her and with live wire oak about the columns down beside the range. The 12-15 inches clearance is very minimal. Think about the size of a plate or platter you might want to set down, either to work from with things going into a pan or pot or plating and serving. If you have a large pot or pan on the stove, you have very little room in between. It's a great look and I have been drawn to it many times myself, but when it's time to work in the kitchen, I would feel boxed in and would not like the blocked light and having to always turn on the overhead light (those halogens give great light, but they add to the heat under the hood) -- not to mention that it would never look as good as I'd hope with my messy guys splattering. LOL

I would go with corbels, wall trim that continues down to the counter, possibly hiding a recessed storage spot or at most a shallow (6 inch deep) cabinet for oils and vinegars, but I would keep that counter as open as possible. That's priceless workspace in my mind. Think about using a spice drawer and finding another way to store oils and vinegars. You say you see more entertaining in the future, so keep in mind that folks tend to gather around the island or you may be serving from it -- limiting the ability to count that as prep space or work space for the cook at the range.

I think I agree with live wire's point about picking focal points (and blocking all the great light you will have from those windows). You have light and open windows competing with warm and cozy hearth feeling. I was looking at it a little differently though before I read that comment. I am also seeing the towers beside the range plus the cabinets coming down to the counter as being too heavy, pulling the weight of the room and the eye down too much on 3 walls -- the fridge does the same thing on the fourth wall. That may be part of what malhgold is seeing too, but I like the cabinets on the sink wall. I think they work well for dish and glassware storage on a wall that is not such prime workspace and they seem to frame that space well. There's also something about that wall of glass. The other way seemed choppy to me.

You have a lot of great things going there -- it might be that you have one or two too many. Having a new space, I think it is far more tempting to try to include everything we like and much harder to pick and chose for maximum benefit. I don't think any of us have been able to put everything we love into one kitchen. I don't think I could if I had 2 or 3 kitchens. I know I left a lot on the table, including pullouts on either side of the cooktop, but I haven't found anything that was even a remote possibility that I have missed.

In the end, this is your space and you will be working in it. See what works for you. When you think you have it, take a break from the drawings, do something else for a while and then come back with a clearer mind. You may have to do it 2 or 3 times. When you have questioned all the options but it is still working for you, you have probably found what you are going to be happiest with.

It is exhausting but try to have fun.

• chicagoans
    13 years ago

I like your sink with more windows too, and I think your layout is really pretty. I didn't notice everything that the above posters did... what stood out to me were the columns coming down on either side of the range top. How much landing space is on either side of the range? Do you feel like you have enough to put baking trays etc., if the cooktop is in use? You might want to consider making those columns shallow, say 12" deep. Still room for storing spices etc if they are pullouts, but you won't feel as boxed in when at the range.

In any case, looks like a lovely space.

• lisa_a
    13 years ago

If you intend to use the oils and spices in your mantel pillars for display only, no problem. If you plan to use them for cooking, you might want to rethink that. Heat along with air, light and moisture degrades the quality of herbs, spices and oils (oils turn rancid fairly quickly). This is one of those looks-good-in-magazine-but-not-practical-in-real-life ideas, IMO. You can circumvent this by keeping a one to two week supply near your range and storing the bulk of these items in a cool, dry, dark location.

• rhome410
    13 years ago

I think Lascatx is onto something. I thought it was the tall dish cabs in relation to the stove area I didn't like, but maybe it was the heaviness of the hood and side cabs that were the problem. That makes a lot of sense, as I am usually a big fan of those type of dish cabinets that come down to the counter on each end, although I still don't think they have to be equally sized.

I think heavy corbels (or shallower towers..12" or less) will give you the same overall appearance with coming out so much in your face in the design, as well as not hemming you in at the stove. I really don't think 12-15" is at all enough to the side of the stove. It means that you can't keep anything handy to use there that isn't really close to heat and interfering with handles of skillets and pans. Think of wanting to set a pan off to the side and having to maneuver it clear around those towers to the side....or getting a 20-pound turkey out of the oven while the island is full of other prep, and stove is covered with other things cooking... :-) I wouldn't do something like that without 24" clearance. But I would still feel like they blocked the light, so a little claustrophobic for me.

I know it seems that we are hammering you about this feature you love. But we don't want you to have the regrets we think you will if you follow through with things exactly as you have it drawn. We all love great-working kitchens and want you to have the joy one brings. I always say, it's our job to keep you from having to ask, "Why didn't someone tell me?!"

• aokat15
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you so much for all of the great input!! I'm going to work on an alternate layout with a hood that doesn't go down to the counter. I agree that I don't want fighting focal points - and I think I would rather focus on the windows... Also, I do want it to be a well-functioning space and it sounds like the landing space/spice shelves don't get around the fact that it still is "boxed in". I'll post the changes once I have it set up to see what you think! Thank you again!!

• chicagoans
    13 years ago

aokat:

Just a few different ideas for the range hood...

shallow pullouts down to counter:
    {{gwi:1903904}}

Decorative corbels under mantle:

Taller cabinets on either side of mantle / hood:

• malhgold
    13 years ago

This layout reminded me EXACTLY of yours. Maybe you'll get some additional ideas or it will help you make some decisions.

Here is a link that might be useful: Schematic Life Blog June 7th Posting

• aokat15
    Original Author
    13 years ago

malhgold - that is so similar!! I'm definitely tweaking as I review the pics :) How big do you think the cabs are on either side of the sink? 30? 36? Thank you!

• malhgold
    13 years ago

I think they're 30". They don't look quite as wide as the windows. You could always try emailing the blogger and asking her questions.

• rhome410
    13 years ago

Very cool, but I sure hope you bring your windows down further! :-)

Comparing the base cab next to the dishwasher, they look 30"? But if you're doing inset drawers, and 2 of them like they did, I'd want it at least 36" so the drawers can be roomy enough inside to be worthwhile.

What's between the fridge and freezer on that plan...the micro? Wish they would've shown all the walls!

• lascatx
    13 years ago

aokat15, you are a good sport! It's really hard to put your wishes and dreams out there and have folks pick through them. I know that I had a hard time putting my plans up because I knew I would get things picked apart and it was still hard. The good news is that I tested my thoughts, kept most of them (even where others had valid points what I knew about our space and use often made that good point something that wasn't as important as another issue), got feedback where I had doubts and wound up with the best kitchen I can imagine for us in this space. It's really worth it.

You are going to have so many wonderful things in your kitchen.

Oh, BTW, I agree with rhome -- the cabinets on either side of the sink don't have to be identical. Even if they are, they might not feel it because one would be tucked into a corner and one would be on an open end. You just want an overall balance.

Have fun.

• littlesmokie
    13 years ago

There is a lot of wise, insightful advice in this thread, so thank you for posting your layout for all of us to learn from. I wish I knew how to use this kind of software to play with my layout, so I'll live vicariously through you ;)

My sink layout wall is very similar to yours and it's helpful to me to see your two versions of upper cabinets/windows.

I prefer the upper cabinets down to the counter (breakfront) with windows trio. (Disclaimer-this is what I'm doing in my kitchen!)

That said-what jumped out at me right away is that your breakfront cabinets on both sides of the room lost the stacked solid front cabinet over top?

I think you need those stacked uppers to maintain a cohesive look amongst all your perimeter cabinetry (there are stacked uppers on your fridge wall, and to me the panel styled hood you're showing above your range nicely reinforces/echoes those stacked uppers as well.)

Out of curiosity, what are the dimensions of your upper breakfront cabinets, as drawn? Couldn't a single door that tall get rather unwieldy over time (literally warping, not closing properly?) I wonder...As currently drawn those breakfront uppers look awfully tall and that is emphasizing their narrowness, to me.

So, my 2 cents: I would break up the single towering breakfront cabinet, by 1) shortening the main upper cabinet and adding the small stacked cabinet over top and 2) either do 4 drawers (2 drawers on each side, instead of just one) or make those single drawers at the base taller-and possibly more functional, depending on what you need to store- to balance/ground your breakfronts & help them make sense with the rest of your kitchen.

I will respectfully disagree with those above who say similar sizes of the cabinets don't matter. I may be projecting, but it looks like you are going for a traditional, classic, black/white kitchen, and symmetry would reinforce those qualities.

FWIW- 2 different KD's told me reviewing my layout that more important to a sense of symmetry than actually having the same width cabinets flank a window is having the open wall space adjacent to the cabinets be symmetrical, as that is what the eye reads.

Hope that helps!

Dawn

• aokat15
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks so much everyone - I've spent a lot of time looking at your comments and will post some new drawings shortly! rhome - our windows will definitely come down lower! Also, I'm thinking I would just do one drawer not the two. I think that the kitchen in the blog may have a wine fridge or something in between the refrigerator and freezer? Not sure.

lascatx - thanks for your message - the good that is coming from all of these great thoughts far outweighs any sadness of certain wishes being squashed :) I have already come around on the boxed hood and have made some other big changes on the pantry which I'll post - this site is fantastic!! It's so great to have feedback especially when it seems like everyone is really looking out for you and wants you to get the best kitchen for your space. I've been working on the kitchen for what seems like forever and I just wish I had posted earlier! I am however looking forward to figuring the kitchen space out, ordering cabs, etc. so I can move on to the other areas of our remodel. Hopefully some of you guys check the bathroom and other forums as well... :)

Littlesmokie - I can't say enough about the Home Designer software. It's not free and takes some getting used to (the first day when I couldn't figure out the library I kept thinking I was nuts for spending the money) but it really is so worthwhile for looking at different angles and different options. I like being able to see something straight on and then look at it from every other "common" angle - like when first coming into the kitchen from the entry, or coming in from the deck, or coming down our back hall - that's what I'll see everyday and I want to make sure it looks right from those angles as well. Thank you for your comments on the stacked cabs on the sink wall. I definitely agree - what I was trying to do was tie in the cabs on the bar area which I think was the wrong way to go. The bar area is a support wall and needs to have columns so the cabs will disguise that, but the family room only has an 8 foot ceiling with the kitchen at 9 so I need to figure out the best way to transition with the cabinetry there... The cabs I drew out above around the sink were 24 inches. My current ones that I'll post later are 30. Thanks so much and good luck on your space!!

• aokat15
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Ok - here we go... round two :)

Still many more tweaks to be made, but this gives you a sense of where I have gone with things due to all of your comments. The biggest change was to the pantry/mudroom/laundry area.

Pantry layout change - zoomed in

Layout of kitchen with new pantry location

Sink wall - two 3 foot windows and two 30 inch cabs to counter. What do you think? Do you think having the sink in front of the window divider will bother me?

Range wall - not really loving the boxed hood without the pillars. Think I may do a more trumpeted shape or perhaps like the Victoria Hagan white kitchen hood.

Fridge wall/pantry opening. Not sure about this. Originally had thought we'd do a 48 inch fridge - I only have about 5.75feet between the two doorways... what should we do here? This sketch has a 42 inch fridge and 18 inch cab. Also, should I do cabs over the doorway?

With the pantry moved we now have a blank wall between the foyer hall and the back hall. I'm thinking maybe we would do a hutch/message center here? Maybe with the middle cabinet just being open shelves?

Haven't changed the wall into the Family room - I probably need to better transition this space in terms of the upper cabinets (we go from 9 foot ceilings to 8 foot in the family room) - thoughts?

Ok, I think that's everything - sorry for the photo/comments overload. What do you think?

• aokat15
    Original Author
    13 years ago

OH, and let me know if I should start a new thread so that you don't have to scroll down through TOO many photos :) thanks

• lisa_a
    13 years ago

Lovely! You are fortunate to have such a large space. It makes it easier to design (even if it hasn't seem that way). I'm still trying to find the "missing" 12 to 24 inches that would solve all my kitchen problems (ha).

Have you tried adding decorative corbels or even a hood shaped like the one in the steely blue kitchen chicagoans posted above? I think that would look good - but that's my preference showing through. ;-)

I wouldn't put cabinets over the pantry doorway. I think that would make that space rather heavy looking. Hanging decorative plates or a painting would fill the space nicely, if that's what you are trying to do.

If you went with a 48" fridge, you could turn the cab next to it sideways, full length (no counter), to open to the pantry hall or flip fridge and cab to have the cab open into the back hall. Or you could mimic the setback from the doorway of the cabinet between the two hallway entrances and have nothing but fridge on that wall.

• kmsparty
    13 years ago

Very nice space! How big is it actually? Some of your layout is similar to what mine will be. I would only put the cabs above the fridge on that wall. It looks a bit crowded to me. I think decorative corbels would be great on each side of the hood. I also think that the center section of your double window will bug you. How about three 2 foot windows? Do they make those?

• rhome410
    13 years ago

I think you're good staying on one thread, since this one is staying current and has a following. Just kind of see how it goes, and if you're not getting the number of responses, you can try a new one.

My various reactions to the new plan:

- Not sure I like that cabinet turned to the side on the left end of the range wall. It has no reason to be sideways other than I know you're trying to match it to the other end, but it's trying too hard? And is there a reason you're keeping it short? You might try drawing the one on the right L-shaped so that you can achieve the symmetry you're going after from both directions?

- I know I don't like the 18" counter next to the fridge, which I think seems too small for anything useful and for the scale of the room. Did you say where you'll have a microwave?

- I would not do cabinets over the doorway to the pantry...Only if you could make it look like an entire built-in wall with the door flush with the cab fronts.

- If you do wide doorways into the family room on each side of the cabinets (or 1 wide door way with the cabinets in it?), you won't see the ceiling change so obviously, and it will look more natural.

• lisa_a
    13 years ago

Oops, I forgot to add my two cents about your sink/window placement. I agree with kmsparty: I wouldn't like looking at the windows' center section when I'm at the sink. I do like her suggestion of three 2' windows. Or maybe a 3' or 4' double hung window over the sink with fixed pane or casement windows on either side.

• malhgold
    13 years ago

regarding the frig wall, i might be inclined to make the pantry door wider, and just have the frig be the only thing in that space. I don't like the cabinet there, and with that other hutch like piece you added, I don't know that you'll really need it.

I like the layout of this pantry location better than the original one. Seems much more useful.

• lascatx
    13 years ago

Sounds like you already have some suggestions on avoiding the divider in the middle of 2 windows. I would chose one of those over looking into the divider.

As far as the fridge wall, I don't care for the cabinet drawn there now. Doesn't look great, won't add a lot of function in such a large kitchen and may become a clutter magnet. I would consider a tall cabinet, but you have a huge pantry so that might not be beneficial. Another option you might not have considered would be to use two 30" units instead of a 48" fridge. The Thermador columns are wonderful. You could also do a pair of 27" Subzeros if you want drawers below. You could panel either to look like an armoire -- either matching or contrasting the rest of the cabinets.

• aokat15
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi everyone - thanks so much for your comments - I've been tweaking as I could today and agree about the corbels... I haven't been able to make creative hoods that easily in the Home Designer software, but I'll attach some more photos.

kmsparty - It's about 21x12 to the back of the island, and there is another 16 feet between the island and the bar area. We are coming from a very small kitchen and an even smaller rental kitchen so we're very excited. I'd love to see your space if you have pics as I'm always looking for similar layouts :)

rhome - I can't seem to fight the need to be symmetrical!! I've made a few changes below... see what you think... I originally had planned for a micro drawer in the island but not am wavering... I may just keep it in the pantry with it so close... don't know - it would save a little on appliances and every bit seems to count these days as my kitchen and bath allowances are getting harder and harder to hit. On the wall b/w the fam and kit - I am waiting on my next meeting with the architect to go over that as I want to make sure it transitions right... for now I've kept as is.

mahlgold/lascatx - I think the fridge only in that space works the best as well - now that I've played around with it. I have it as a 48 right now but am definitely thinking about 54 or 60 if we can fit it in budget and space-wise. I love the thermador columns and the subzero 27s... it would be great if we could do it!

In general after playing around with this revised space, I'm trying to simplify the cab design a little. Not sure I liked the stacked cabinets in the second photos above... may just prefer to keep them simple which I've done below. Also, I'm having trouble with that space between the two halls - where I had the message center above. I think that would be a great space for the phone, etc but I don't want it to be too busy design-wise. Do you guys have any ideas for that space? Did you like what it was above and just simplify the upper cabinets? Or would just a console type table look better?

Here are my current sketches...

I'm thinking with this revision, I may like the hood to look more like this:

(and maybe that should just be the inspiration for my space in general :) )

• malhgold
    13 years ago

Overall I really like it! I like the hutch piece to the right of the sink, I like the cabs on either end of the range run. I think you're going to have to work on the design for the frig. I don't know that it will look right to just have it "built in" like you have in the rendering. I liked the suggestion above by Lascatx of making it a freestanding armoire. In that space, if it's going to be the only thing between the 2 doorways, some version of freestanding might be the way to go. Here are just a couple of inspiration pics. Of course the sub zero pictured here is approx. $10K!!! It's my lust refrigerator!

• User
    13 years ago

LOVE the pantry! That whole area is so much more useful now! Way to go! The other changes work well too. The only thing I'm not loving is the fridge wall. Have you considered just extending the pantry and having the fridge on the wall of the pantry that backs up to the cubbies? Your "door" into the pantry would be more of an "opening" than a door, and the fridge would be right there in the pantry and in the kitchen facing the range wall. That would let the "wall" (cabinet panel) that faces into the kitchen just be simple paneling, and be a resting place for you eyes. YOu have a LOT going on!

Or, the other option is to get a true integrated fridge and cabinet panel it in to completely disappear as a fridge. (Maybe an icemaker in the pantry?) It can look like a freestanding armoire in a different color tone or accent wood. Or just more lovely white cabinetry.

• tracie.erin
    13 years ago

You said "..fridge..I have it as a 48 right now but am definitely thinking about 54 or 60 if we can fit it in budget and space-wise. I love the thermador columns and the subzero 27s... it would be great if we could do it!" I didn't see it mentioned if those brands were super important to you. If not, going with this set might help cut some corners:

30" Fridge
    30" Freezer
    Double Trim Set

I wish I had the space you do, it's just gorgeous!

• rhome410
    13 years ago

I wrote this last night, but my computer crashed just as I was finishing...But I'm posting it, as is, so if it says something others have said, that's why:

I like that better, I think...If it gives you the storage you need.

I'd like more heft/more cabinet around the fridge. I'd love to see it inset into the pantry/mudroom, or the wall brought out to inset it, but that would mess with your back wall symmetry.

Your window wall reminds me of other kitchens without symmetry there that might help you see how great it can look...or not! ;-) :

Crownpoint website:

http://www.crown-point.com/islands/islands15.html

David T Smith website (2nd photo of this kitchen):

https://www.davidtsmith.com/newsite/custom_kit_gallery_5.html

Here is a link that might be useful:

• malhgold
    13 years ago

The link shows a couple of "armoire" type refrigerators.

Here's a google search for armoire refrigerators"

http://www.google.com/images?oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&q=armoire+refrigerator&um=1&ie=UTF-8&source=univ&ei=ucgPTO2EKsP48AalqImBCQ&sa=X&oi=image_result_group&ct=title&resnum=6&ved=0CE0QsAQwBQ

Mick Degiulio does them often as well:
    http://www.degiulio.org/work_residential04.html

Here's another idea(but for your kitchen I think I prefer the armoire look).
    http://share.shutterfly.com/share/received/welcome.sfly?fid=d0ca8c687a1c66f1&sid=9AcuHDFozbONg

Here is a link that might be useful: Armoire Refrigerators

• aokat15
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Mahlgold - I would LOVE that pro 48 subzero fridge - it's my DH's dream fridge... It could look so great in this space too... I think we either have to do an Armoire fully integrated fridge or something like this that is more dramatic just on it's own. I think the glass door could also be great as it goes with the windows, glass cabs, etc.

Live_wire - thanks so much! You really got me thinking about that pantry space and then the Schematic Life kitchen solidified it!

tracie - I have looked at those great fridges/freezers as well as the electrolux set often!! I think they are just a smidge too big for us... it looks like the ones you linked to are 32-33 inches each.

rhome - thanks so much for the links! Here is what my *ideal* sink wall would be...

with the range wall like this:

What do you guys think? I LOVE this - so simple, so many windows... but does it work?

• User
    13 years ago

Oh yes that WORKS! LOL! The window wall that you wanted is there and the hutch cabinets that you want are there and the symmetry that you want is there. What's not to love?

• malhgold
    13 years ago

works for me, but if your dishes are going in the hutch like cabinet in the corner, I would move the DW to the right side of the sink, otherwise I don't think you can unload when the DW is open. If you are using that as your primary dish storage, maybe get rid of the glass uppers? Maybe the glass competes with the beauty of the windows?

• rhome410
    13 years ago

Yes, that can certainly work, and does seem to solve some/most/all? of your issues. I wonder if you'd want to move the dw further away from the left corner, though, as when it's open, you may have trouble reaching into the hutch.

The downside of this latest plan: One thing the hutch to the right of the sink did for you was kind of provide a block for the sink and dirty dish area. If things are sitting on the counter around the sink, and/or stacked in the sink, although not a complete block, especially from any angle, it stops the eye before it travels straight to the clutter. Maybe not an issue in your house and kitchen, or something you will worry about or consider a priority...But something I would think about. You're not exactly short on window and light in the June 8 22:38 plan. :-)

• bmorepanic
    13 years ago

This is my two cents worth.

Mainly two points, the hutch becomes the clean up area so you aren't walking dishes all over the place. You're doing this kitchen like you'll spend all day doing the dishes when dishwashers really make it a nothing job.

Maybe kill the counter in front of those windows, the island a little longer, make the windows taller, extend them outward in a bay with big comfy pillows or put a "cook's chair" in the bay.

Maybe keep the counter and do a utility sink.

Maybe add another set of doors to the outside in place of the counter and the windows.

Maybe convert the counter into a deck bar or breakfast bar (toaster, small ref or ref drawers, small sink breakfast cereals and bowls, coffee pot).

• lisa_a
    13 years ago

Oh, me, oh, my, I LOVE it (and I'm jealous of your space).

I also vote for shifting the DW away from the corner, either moving it over or putting it on the other side of the fridge.

• littlesmokie
    13 years ago

I cant address functionality for you, but I can say I also LOVE the layout you posted at 14:01!

The openness you created-all the light, the symmetry, the spacious counters adjacent to the stove and window. Just as you said, simple and so many windows. Lovely.

One thought: windows can read black and look (or literally, feel) cold at night. That is the trade-off I'm struggling with-want the open/light/bright for the daytime, but am trying to remember I do want to have more of a sense of warmth/privacy/intimacy in the space in the evening, too. Sometimes all those windows make me feel...exposed? Maybe something to consider, maybe not.

The layout looks great!

• aokat15
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks everyone! I'm very excited and LOVE this new layout :) I have moved the DW - great point. I played around with glass uppers vs. no glass and prefer the glass... think the non-glass makes those cabs stand out too much. Littlesmokie - great point on the privacy. I really don't want noticeable window treatments, but I've been thinking about maybe getting the doors out to the deck with the built-in blinds and doing some kind of very subtle white roman shade for the windows. Something like the 6th kitchen down in this blog - the white one from Design Esquire:

http://willowdecor.blogspot.com/2010/02/kitchen-trend-no-upper-cabinets.html

Not sure on this though...

So, range wall, sink wall are done - wall between fam and kitchen will be similar to what I have up higher in this thread (but I will check on the ceiling transition). The upper cabs will tie to the corner hutch cabs on the range wall. I'm still struggling with what to do between the two hallways. We covered that I should either do an armoire style integrated fridge or a fridge like the Subzero Pro 48 above with the glass door (and maybe some simple built in panels and cabs above?) but I don't know what to do on this wall:

That will go with the rest of the design - don't want it to be too busy. Could do just lower cabinets (like I have there now) and then a mirror or picture on the wall above. Or maybe more of a console table. Or a hutch - but how to make it go? I would like to use this space as a message center, place for the phone, etc...

Thanks so much - the input on this thread has been amazing!

• willis13
    13 years ago

What about making it a desk, and put uppers for cook books, etc? It could double as a side board for entertaining. For that matter you could make a bar area with wine fridge, glass fronted uppers for your fancy drinking glasses. Uppers in this space would balance out the fridge cabinet.

• kmsparty
    13 years ago

Love your newest layout! Changing the 2 windows to 3 above the sink made me feel like I could see clearly out those windows!
    I also vote for the bar area idea. I'm doing this with the lowers being 12" deep cabs at each end and 15" deep in the middle section just to add a little interest and glass uppers with a wine rack in the middle. It's a wall that needed something but I wanted to keep it simple.

• rhome410
    13 years ago

I liked what you had originally for that wall, as it seemed to fit, but have enough character of its own...and like the inclusion of cookbook storage if you don't have one elsewhere. My desk gets too messy, so not sure that's where I'd want that unless it could be enclosed.

I think you have a lot of possible options for that spot. A separate piece of furniture, or a piece built to look less fitted, in a wood tone or another color, could be nice, because you have so much built-in (and white) all around and are in danger of getting too much all matching and competing with each other, I fear. You could leave it blank and look for 'just the perfect thing' later?

• lascatx
    13 years ago

Haven't been back here for a while. I like where you are headed, but wanted to ask if you want to rethink putting any cabinets on that wall between the doors. The other wall going into the family room makes more sense to have cabinets because you are planning to build in features like a fridge and sink, but on that wall next the fridge, you can do anything. I think I would plan no cabinets and plan on a furniture piece there. I'm wanting to see some relief from all the built-in white cabinets.

I think the room would have more warmth, more character and personality -- more charm if you picked a stained wood piece or a brightly colored piece to go there. It could be short or tall, wide or narrower (maybe an extra chair or two to the side?), it could be bookshelves, storage, an open console or even all art. It's not like you are hurting for storage space.

• aokat15
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks so much for the input on that wall! Here is where we are at now (at least for the time being :) ). We decided to change the bar wall into the family room just to a large opening with half walls and columns for the support (perhaps something like niffy's kitchen/family room?). We want to keep it open but just don't know if we will use those cabinets, sink, etc enough to make it worth the added cost. Plus, with every design change I seem to be just adding $$ so I need to streamline. So, keeping that very simple with no cabinetry, I think I do want some cabinetry on the blank wall - but I do want to keep it simple with perhaps a combination of open shelves for cookbooks, etc but also some more concealed space for the "clutter" - mail, etc. Still haven't decided on the finish or the look, but now that I've got the other layout pretty much figured out I'm going to talk to some of the cabinet designers this week and see what they come up with for that space... will keep you posted.

Still having trouble with the fridge. It's just not a very wide space, and whenever I draw it up to be more of an armoire or integrated to go with the rest of the room, it ends up looking tall and skinny... I also *may* be able to get a deal on the 48 pro subzero fridge above that mahlgold posted above (which is making my DH so happy just thinking about!) so I've been trying to figure out what that would look like... it's so beautiful on it's own, but height-wise I think we may need some cabinets above it to go with our layout and not just be door, fridge, door all at ~7 feet. Even with it being a deal, it would still be a splurge so I would want everything to look right. It seems to never end :)

• lascatx
    13 years ago

I doubt you really NEED a sink by the family room -- and depending on the age and neatness of any children or guests, you might be glad not to have it there since that might just invite more wet things going into the family room.

If you don't do any cabinets on that wall, then I think you could go with cabinets or a furniture piece on that other wall.

Keep looking for the right fridge solution. You will find it. And if it helps make the right fridge possibly, perhaps you hold off and look for the right furniture piece to include shelves and closed storage when you find it and its not part of this budget?

• rhome410
    13 years ago

Did you see this kitchen gb85 linked in the wall pot rack thread? It made me think of you, because of the mantle type hood that has sides, but not so that it crowds the counter, and the fridge is done in a way worth taking a look at, too.

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz