SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
equest17_gw

Mirror, Mirror; Where on the Wall?

equest17
11 years ago

We are currently working on a bathroom addition on the second floor of our 1924 bungalow. It will serve as the master bath essentially (but since it's just off the hall, it could technically be a "family bath", although it's just DH and me).

I have found two furniture pieces to convert into vanities, so we can have separate side-by-side 40" vanities, something like this:

My vanities will have to have the sinks off center, since that is the only place for the plumbing. The plan is for them to be mirror images of each other; one vanity with the sink to the right and one vanity with the sink to the left, although I could do them both on the right (just can't put the sink in the middle because of the divider). I'm fine with either one, and I actually like the idea of a larger uninterrupted counter space to one side of the sink instead of splitting it. The conundrum is, what do I do about mirrors and sconces?

All the photos I can find of separate master vanities show pretty vertical mirrors centered over the vanities with flanking sconces (like the inspiration picture above).

I really like a mirror like this (it measures 19 x 26):

But how would that look in my situation? I'd have to center the mirrors on the sinks, and then what? Would I fill the remaining wall space with pictures or shelving to balance it? How could I arrange sconces? Would I just use two; one to the outside of each mirror/vanity combo?

My ceiling is only 7' high, so I can't go with something too tall and I can't put the sconces over the mirrors. One option would be 40" framed mirrors hung horizontally to cover each whole vanity, but my DH doesn't really like the horizontal look and I'm afraid it will only emphasize the low ceilings.

If it helps, here's the upstairs floor plan showing the new bath and fixture layout. The vanity images clearly don't show the sinks correctly, but it's the best I could do. The tub under the window will be a vintage clawfoot, but my program didn't have an icon for that.

If anyone has any suggestions or inspiration pics for off center sinks and how to handle it, I would really appreciate it.

Comments (17)