SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
takako_register

Framed Mirror - Butting a Mirror Against a Frame Nailed on the Wall

Kenji Krafting
6 years ago

Hi -

I asked a question a while ago about our remodeler building a frame for our large bathroom mirrors (70 x 40" and 45 x 40"). They will custom make a profile matching to our cabinet using solid wood, miter the corners, and spray paint the frames. They will glue the mirror to the wall, and the mirror will not have a back panel and hanging wire like a picture frame (which is ok, as gluing seems a safer method for the size of the mirror).

The cost is $1150 (for a custom made profile, or $800 if we use a crown molding off the shelf) NOT including mirrors (we are paying for mirrors separately as a part of the contract. I don't know the exact costs of the mirrors). Many of you noted that the cost was quite high. But we decided to go for it as we are too lazy to DIY or find someone else to do it.

All along I was assuming that the mirror will sit in a groove routed on the back of the frame, and the frame will rest on the mirror glued to the wall. But I just found out that they plan to first nail the frame to the wall, measure the inside the frame, cut mirrors to fit the inside measurement, and push the mirror into the frame with glue on the back.

I've never seen framed mirrors made this way, and worry that if the gap between the frame and mirror will be noticeable as the mirrors will only be butted against the frame, and the frame will not cover the edges of the mirror. I also don't like the idea of the frame being nailed on the wall even if the nail heads will be painted over. Needless to say, the price now feels even higher.

Is this a common way of making framed mirrors? If you have seen one made this way, what does the boundary between the frame and mirror look like?

Thanks for your help in advance!

Comments (21)

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm