SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lkplatow

CL dilemma - what would you do? (long, sorry!)

lkplatow
15 years ago

My "formal" living room doesn't see a whole lot of use - it's mainly used by the cat and my daughter when she wants to watch a different show than the rest of us in the family room. It's currently furnished in an eclectic mix of hand-me-downs and furniture from our old house - it all works together, I think, but isn't at all what I would have chosen for this room if I were picking from scratch.

The sofa in there is an obnoxiously loud floral print that I bought secondhand for $250 a few years ago. It goes surprisingly well with the paint and drapes but again, not what I would have chosen were I buying new. It also has a weird smell to it that I haven't been able to get out - kind of musty and old. I'm the only one who seems bothered by the smell though - no one else in my house seems to smell it. Oh, and it's also a bit too long (88" or so) for the space - it's sitting between two doorways and I've had to use the world's skinniest end tables on either end in order to fit it. A slightly less long sofa would be more ideal. It is darn comfy though, and hides the cat hair well, and I don't mind if the kids eat on it or whatever since I know it's only temporary.

OK, so I'm browsing craiglist and come across a sofa. The dimensions are better for the space (78" long) though it's shorter in height than my current sofa, which means that the big-honkin-mirror over the sofa will need to be lowered (leaving big holes in the wall, probably). It's from Lee Industries (a good mfr...probably exactly who I would choose a sofa from if I had the money to go get one at the store). It's at a secondhand furniture dealer and they want $400 for it. The same sofa new would be over $2000 (I called the furniture store to check). The fabric on most of the sofa is a nice neutral beige - a color I could live with - but the seat cushions are upholstered in a linen floral that doesn't match the room at all.

So now I'm wondering what to do...in 5-6 years when the kids are older and I've gone back to work, I'll probably have the money to go out and furnish the room properly with real furniture from a furniture store (as opposed to the Salvation Army or CL). When this happens, I'll probably end up getting a sofa very similar to the current CL offering (although I suppose I might also decide to go with two loveseats or 4 chairs or something).

So my question is should I just live with what I have (the slightly-stinky slightly-too-big obnoxiously-loud-but-matches-the-room floral) until I can buy "real furniture". Or should I upgrade to the good-manufacturer mostly-neutral-with-hideous-seat-cushions-that-don't-match-the-room sofa that might be worth reupholstering when the time comes instead of getting a new sofa)?

Here's an old pic of my current sofa that shows the room color, drapes, and armchairs though the ottomans are gone and now there's a rug. The yellow chair in the background has been recovered to a reddish print that matches the curtains):

and here's a pic showing the rug - it's kind of "blinding" next to the sofa, LOL!

And here's the CL offering:

Comments (29)

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio