SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rlawrence118

Design Dilemma - What Would You Do

Regina Savage
13 years ago

Some of you may recall me posting about the layout for my kitchen earlier. After thinking about it some more we decided to take the time / money to do it "right" and fix some awkwardness in the house and expand the footprint of the kitchen.

Existing layout:

The best way to do this, I think, is to take-out the redundant servants stairs, existing mudroom (and 2nd set of stairs down to the basement) and give all that space to the kitchen. Then we can expand the attached garage and in part of the existing garage allocate space to the pantry and a mudroom that connects with the existing mudroom out to the backyard. We live in a historic district and think that since this extension is to the garage part it will pass muster with the powers that be. The only 1st floor powder room is under the servants stairs so that will have to be relocated as well. (those that commented on my earlier layout will notice I accepted your sage advice and scaled down to a 36" range and 48" fridge / freezer).

The dilemma - what to do with the ceiling in the servants stairs. The top of the landing for the servants stairs is below the ceiling for the first floor, so I think we just wall up the doorway at the top of the servants stairs and it's no issue from the existing staircase... but there's also a small window there. The stairs from the 2nd to 3rd floor are just above this so the ceiling slopes up.

Will it look funny to have that one part of the ceiling open and sloped up? Almost like a side skylight I guess? Is there something I could use to take the advantage of this space? Or should I just make the ceiling one height and have dead space? I worry then that there's no access to the window. I *might* be able to wall the window up from the outside, but I think it might look funny on the exterior and there's a decent chance the historic commission tells me to pound sand.

Thank you all so much for your help!

Here is a link that might be useful: Staircase Dilemma

Comments (17)