SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lynninnewmexico

Final Payment: Dilemma: What Would You Do???

lynninnewmexico
16 years ago

I have a dilemma about the final payment on our cabs. The kitchen reno is finally completed except that the one cabinet front for the refrigerator door is scratched beyond repair (per their repair guy yesterday) and needs to be reordered and installed. They also ordered the wrong stain on the two cabinet feet and tried to correct it in their local shop. It didn't work and the two feet (that we're paying something like $376 for!) are a totally different color and look lousy on the cab. Those need to be reordered and installed, too. We've had a very good relationship with our KD and the cabinet company he works for. My dilemma is that they want us to pay them the final 10% due at the end now, instead of when the fridge door cover and feet come in and are installed. I reminded him that the final payment is geared to hold the company to finishing the job and satisfactorily. He asked us to please consider paying $3000 of the $3600 due and pay the final $600 when everything has been delivered and installed.

This company is a good one and so is our KD. My only gripe with them is that over the course of this reno they've forgotten to order several important pieces and caused us a delay; they ordered the wrong thing on a few minor pieces and we had to wait over a month for them to finally come in and a few pieces were just delayed in shipping for several weeks.

Question #1: Do you think my KD is waiting to get paid and this final payment will be his commission? I hate to screw up his Christmas if this is the case, but we've gotten ourselves screwed in home renovations in the past and swore we wouldn't let that happen again.

Question #2: What would you do?

Comments (22)