SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sujafr_

Color continuity when two design concepts clash?

Sujafr
12 years ago

I'm needing to update the upholstered LR furniture, but have a couple large oriental rugs I like and since they're not cheap, I feel like I'd like to use somewhere in our home. They're both dark red background with dark navy borders. One was in the dining room and one in our current great room (that one's pretty large at 11x16). Both have some beige, tan, white, and gray in them as well. I've mainly used navy, white, & neutrals with red accents in these 2 rooms and am ok with continuing that. I have lots of cobalt blue/white ceramics.

I've also used navy or other non-clashing blue in some way thoughout the rest of the house as accents (yellow with navy in one, just blue/white in another, mainly neutrals in another, etc).

I'd like to do a spa feeling bedroom using bosporus flax curtains and gray/blue/green preferably on the walls in one, but I feel like the color continuity in the home will be shot if I do that since that shade of blue/green clashes so much with navy. Or at least the idea of it isn't one I can see working.

I probably know the answer to this, but am hoping (totally irrationally) someone will know a way to make this work. Or am I being anal about the color flow?

Is there a way to have some sort of continuity, or what do you do when two ideas are fighting in your decorating mind?

Comments (13)