SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
travis_huber

Brand New House with Clashing Designs and Poor Layout

Travis
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

So recently, as a 22 year old guy, I got rushed into buying a brand new house by my family because it was "a great deal." I looked it over once and thought it was okay. I was told since it was brand new it's the perfect opportunity to save money and build up equity with an unfinished basement and sell it for a gain in the future, which at this point I'm really questioning because I don't really have the money to get there any time soon. I got convinced on the idea, signed a contract, and didn't have the courage to back out when I got second thoughts.

SO, here I am. I'm a picky son of a gun, but I've had many people say it seems to be a wild mix of whatever was available to slap in the house without me even pointing it out (mostly directed at the cupboards and flooring combination). I need some design inspiration on how to turn this place into something a lot more eye appealing both interior and exterior, hopefully without going bankrupt. The house is essentially planted on the property sideways because its a narrower property and is a longer length, stick-built home built off site and was moved in. The windows therefore face the sides of the houses on either side of me staring into their windows. (Didn't think this through very well).

An idea of doing an addition (approx 15' x 20') is certainly in the realm of ideas off the open south side to attach an actual living room since the kitchen/living area isn't laid out right to put a table anywhere. Of course that'd be a home improvement loan. Just not sure the best way to blend it all together. I know I'm being very stubborn, but any feedback to turn this around to be more appealing and modern is much appreciated. Maybe all I need is paint and decorations?

The lack of a window to see out to the street where people show up or see anything moving kills me.

Not too fond of the mobile home style... =/

I've attached some pictures of some style ideas I would be going for with an addition, but any suggestions would be great.

This to me would probably be the most likely option, with the double overhang and projected window. Not enough space to extend back to where that smaller window is.

Garage detailing.

Comments (147)

• pennydesign
    6 years ago

It's really good to have a landscape plan...This way, it can be done bit by bit...(even now, though you're not ready to plant yet, you can be purchasing what you need, a couple of shrubs a week as the paycheck allows, depending where you are...cover them if frost is predicted. Most places have a one year warranty on plants--even Lowes--just hold onto your receipt and you're good).

My husband rented one of those teeny bobcat things to move some dirt around once....It was fun for him and I assume it would be for you also....consider doing that rather than having someone come in....just to level out the place. Also I see your property is sloped a little...that's good and means your basement is more likely to be a dry one.

Just get the right seed/plants/trees for your zone and your sun/shade areas. And keep it simple so you can focus on fun instead of toiling in the garden.

And sure....someday a hot tub. Ask Santa and be very good. :)

• Mon
    6 years ago

Your property value will go up if you fence off the property and offer back yard access with a drive thru fence, driveway access to a detached garage, and you might not even want to leave. The deck ideas are wonderful, if you lay down sod, having a designated dog run is a must. If you plan on reselling the property why not just keep the walls white and leave the rest the same. Outside a covered porch is always nice, upgraded showers are always a plus, if the home doesn't have a fireplace a wood stove would also help based on how much snow you getting the area. If this is going to be a flip I might not really worry about the unfinished basement to much. Complete the work slowly, don't get any other loans on the place, keep it on the market for as long as it takes once you get there.

• Related Discussions

Color continuity when two design concepts clash?

Q

Comments (13)
    I am trying to picture your spa blue/green and don't think it would clash horribly with navy, esp if it is not in the same room. I'd be more concerned if it were jarring from the hallway into the bedroom. I'd make sure the hallway works with the bedroom's interior as well as with the other rooms it connect to. The hallway is a perfect place for a neutral to be a bridge between room styles and colors. Our new configuration is a fully open plan in our living spaces and those have differing vibes within the open plan. The kitchen and den are done in a retro modern look with clean lines and no wood furniture. The adjacent dining room will have our traditional 1930's Thomasville set but has a chrome chandelier to add some more modern freshness to it and that ties it in to the other rooms with the chrome/white lighting theme. I plan on painting the table's top and the shield part of the chair backs with glossy black paint to help it tie in to the black accents in the den and kitchen and to hide the poor refinishing job I attempted to do on the table's top years ago and have tried to hide ever since, lol. It will still be predominantly wood though. Our living room up front will have very traditional wood antiques, some over 250 years old, but the walls are painted in a fresh bright green (BM's Wales Green), to give it a pop/twist from the expected as well. The furnishings will be traditional in all regards but in an eclectic setting. I think the juxtaposition will be what makes it fun. All the rooms have bright white wts in differing styles. The kitchen and den wts are on one wall and all match. The dining room wt is on another wall by itself and is different. The living room wt is yet another style up in the front of our house. The trim in the whole house is white too. It would be boring to me to have everything along a single theme or tone. Our master bedroom in particular looks like no other room in our house and is our retreat. It and the master bath are done in a more sophisticated/fancy way. It has the only colored ceiling in the house and while some of the colors or tones are similar in a sense, the look and feel are entirely different. Our master bath has marble in both white and black and is much more dressed up than the rest of the house. I don't think the master bedroom or master bath have to please anyone but the owners of the house. If you do your whole house entirely one way, then there is more chance that if it becomes dated or tiring to you someday later on, then you have so much more work to do to undo the unified look. It is the difference between wearing a matching suit or wearing separates.
    ...See More

Need help for New House Layout

Q

Comments (48)
    Norm, would you be okay with three stories, instead of two? Just curious. :-) It really sounds like it would be a good idea to shop for a professional designer/architect. A lot/land that is only 56' wide (my production home is on a 55' wide lot, I think), by 90' long (mine is 125'), can't really support a huge house, in my opinion. I feel like *my* house is even too big for my lot, and it's a single story, 2060 sqft home that is roughly 36' wide by 57' long. Do you have a strict deadline for the design phase?
    ...See More

Kitchen Layout Ideas for new house construction

Q

Comments (61)
    I've been thinking about the first plan I posted, with the interior laundry and mudroom. I still like it. If you put the laundry/mudroom inside, you don't need anything in the garage but a couple of steps (between the garage bays, where the steps start on the original plan), so it shouldn't interfere with parking. Moving the door down, across from the MR door, would allow you to have a ROTS pantry beside the fridge, and you could also have shallow storage cabinets beside the entry door. They could be used for extra pantry storage, brooms and cleaning supplies, extra mudroom storage, candlesticks and linens for DR, etc. You wouldn't need to carry laundry through the kitchen, but the W/D are still close enough to monitor while you're cooking. Likewise, laundry isn't lugged back through the kitchen. I incorporated the front entry closet into this version, and it's all included in your 14.5 x 23' space. There's a stub wall beside the oven, so the profile view from the great room is uniform. If you feel that the oven would block light from the great room window, the sink window could be widened. Note: I used 6" for all interior walls because that's easier to draw on my grid; you'd actually have a little more space on either side of the wall. You'd also have more space for storage in the garage. I drew the garage entry traffic paths below--it's not exactly to scale, but close enough to give you the idea of how the interior laundry/MR impacts the plan: Original, for comparison: Of course, if you use a different plan, or have an architect design a custom home, this is moot. I just wanted you to consider all aspects of the interior laundry.
    ...See More

HELP with new home layout

Q

Comments (19)
    It sounds like this is starting out life as a "granny cottage". (btw, not an "in-law suite" posted above, since it's a separate building). What accessibility features would you like to incorporate? This means door sizes, handles, bathroom fixtures, outlets, lights, knobs on front of stove, not on back.... Think these through BEFORE you finalize any plan, since they can impact layout. The plans upthread seem optimistic in arrangement. I don't think a king-size bed is in the cards. 2 queens are going to be a stretch. When you add adequate closet space, the bedroom layout upthread is going to be too small. And I think the skinny kitchen isn't gonna work: it's too skinny. You have 10000 compromises ahead of you. Plan your windows so if it's hard for someone to get around they can still see out while seated, while in bed, while at the dining table, while at the desk, while at the kitchen. I really need to see this with scale. The inside wall thicknesses are really going to matter. Now that I think about it, I have photos of my interior to give you an idea of scale with people in it. My house is 8 months old, industrial style exterior (full solar), 2 "boxes" for a total of 14x50 feet (a 14x20 and a 14x30) arranged in a T-shape, 2 bedrooms, fully accessible bath. My exterior walls are 10" thick. Very budget-friendly. So, I'll attach some photos in the next post just to help you along.
    ...See More
  • PRO
    Falk Designs, LLC
    6 years ago
    Seek the help of a GOOD seasoned licensed Realtor AND a design PRO. Do not spend good money after bad....Spending a dollar to pick up a dime is not smart in the log run! There are people that are trained in these fields that will guide you for nominal fees. I know that, because I am both a seasoned designer with over 25 years if field experience and a licensed Coldwell Banker agent! Find someone local to you who knows your market, and can give sound advice as to the projects and phasing, with decent ROI that will make SENSE for your budget, house and neighborhood. You are NOT guaranteed a dollar for dollar return for many upgrades when you sell!

Whatever you do, put DECENT floors in the basement that are impervious to water. A vinyl click system is a WAY better choice than an MDF based laminate floor like Pergo. Do leave room from the foundation to your METAL studs for airflow....and use encapsulated insulation along those exterior walls too. Protect yourself as best you can from water incursions....You can't predict when a washer backs up, or a welled window will leak, or the ground just becomes so saturated one year that there is just no where for water to drain on your property. Trust that advice, as I speak from MANY years of personal experience.

Most of all, plan and obtain the proper permits! The codes are there to protect you and the next homeowner. You will have less headaches down the road!
  • mjlb
    6 years ago
    Travis, I like both of your drawings. Since you are in a rural area, this may not apply, but you need to check with your local authority to determine setback requirements (distance from lot line) for building. They may vary depending on whether enclosed space or just a deck. You should also consider path of sun, i.e. don't shade your useable yard. A prior poster showed golden shrub in front of your dark gray siding, and I thought that looked stunning. (The wood garage door too, but pricey.)
  • mjlb
    6 years ago
    Forgot to say, if you post your exterior photos, plot plan drawings, note where north is, and identify your growing zone (5, 6a, etc.), and post in landscaping forum, you'll likely get excellent advice. And possibly creative alternatives to our initial recommendations.
  • shea
    6 years ago

Here is a before and after of new floors and paint on cabinets with new backsplash, a few glass doors added, and recessed lighting. We also had clashing colors from floor to cabinet. 3 years later the cabinets still look great.

• shwshw
    6 years ago

I loved Annette Holbrook(z6b-7a)'s idea. Here are some more thoughts using her new front door placement as the starting point. Get large rug for living room

• Melissa R
    6 years ago

like another poster said; those kitchen cabinets look oak/paint grade. I'd paint those bad boys first thing. I think if you painted them a grey or white you would like your place a whole lot more. Cabinets are new'ish so they won't have to be deep cleaned of grease etc before the paint. Cheap fix too!

Go to Harbor Freight and get this sprayer

Nice spring day take the doors and hardware off, quick sanding, and go spray them. Then I would get some microfiber rollers, the smaller ones, and I would roll the outside of the boxes and stiles. Boom done. 1 gallon paint, $16 sprayer, $10 for small roller and you are done.

• mjlb
    6 years ago

Travis, when you refer to yard being very sloped... how sloped is that? In the photos I would guess difference about 3-ft vertical drop?

Re: shwshw plan -- you would lose the headroom you need to walk down the stairs.

• shwshw
    6 years ago

mjlb, oh darn...

• pennydesign
    6 years ago

Just wanted to add about the sprayer---The one Melissa recommended is a pneumatic sprayer. You would need to rent or buy the compressor and hose if you don't have one.

• nosoccermom
    6 years ago

So, if this is part of a first buyer program with a cap on profits, does this mean that the buyer pool is restricted to other medium income or first time buyers?

If yes, I'd really only focus on cosmetic improvements and not ditch the floor too soon.

Also, is the color more like the close up in the kitchen? If yes, google gray weathered flooring. There are plenty of options to make it look nicer.

Put down rugs that pick up some of the gray but also add cream and another color.

• redsilver
    6 years ago

Another thought. Why not build the deck you can afford now, and instead of changing the structural existing wall/door/entry.....build somewhat of a 'green house' or a 'screen porch'(with or without windows maybe?) onto the pier & beam with floor or, new porch/deck surface and in that added 'room' place a doorway facing the front of the house. You are talented enough and have enough vision in looking at your home now, to figure out what the dimensions need to be. Than, you have the option of just eliminating the door into the house(you could actually place it on the 'added room' and leave the door framed into the house, or you could place a very handsome door with or without a storm door into your added room, and make another entry or other paned french door into your home proper.... Than, you can finish it, the new entry hall/green house/ or screen porch... inside as you want at this time, frame it only? ?depending on how much is windows, if any of it of course. You spoke of enjoying live trees, and possibly that includes plants/shrubs/food crops. ....Building that deck/room on could be enough for now, and than after a year or 2 budget, you could go ahead and extend the deck/porch/or even just a welcoming ground level patio area with steps into your new entry way, purposed as suits your lifestyle... Than you don't have to tear anything down or out, you are just creating a more welcoming entry. It would probably make you really love your home?

• mjlb
    6 years ago

One thing that struck me about your landscape plan was that the widest part of your "real estate" is towards the front of your house. Lots of things to consider (especially where is it sunny) but maybe think about putting a fence much closer to the street. The gate in the fence will announce that this is the way to the front door. Pavers could step guests to several patios or decks.

Some photo ideas below -- obviously a bit grand, but food for thought.

• chickadee2_gw
    6 years ago

You’ve gotten a lot of good advice. All i’ve got to add is don’t plant bamboo.

http://www.buckscountycouriertimes.com/a0a6c96b-3ff8-5197-90d4-239179491e51.html

• Travis
    Original Author
    6 years ago

If I'm going to take on any of these projects, I do like the idea of painting the cupboards white. Unless I swap out the floors for a wood pattern and leave the oak look. Hard to pick. What makes cupboards "paint grade"? Ive never heard the term before this whole post. I don't have access to photoshop anymore but I'd definitely toy with the wall and cupboard colors if I had it.

Going off the idea of a potential green room or sunroom type of add on, would something like that require a concrete foundation? Or could it essentially be a room built on a deck type of build? I'm thinking it would still have the same siding half way up, but then huge screened windows?

Even this doesn't sound like a much cheaper project than doing the addition itself. So many big ideas...

• Mrs. S
    6 years ago

This is a copy of what I said on a recent thread about painting cabinets:

Painting cabinets, for those who haven't ever thought about it before (like me, back when we lived in apartments), isn't what you think it is. It is removing all the doors, sanding, stripping, sanding, purchase of relatively expensive primer products, relatively expensive painting tools, and expensive special cabinet-quality paint. Taping off, protecting all adjoining surfaces including the appliances, floors, and interior of the cabinets (?), priming, sanding, painting, sanding, painting, sanding, painting, etc. Just go to a diy blog about painting cabinets to see. It is hours and hours and hours of work, and typically requires a covered outdoor area where the doors can dry in between coats. Every product is different, but many require days or more(!!) to fully cure... And so on. And even then, people do not always get good results. Heck, even professionally painted cabinets don't always get good results, just look on this forum for those tales of woe.

Additionally, if your cabinets are oak, then the grain will show, no matter how many coats of paint you use. I urge you to google search terms like “diy decor painting cabinets” to get a better understanding of how difficult it is. And all this while you could be working on landscaping.

I think wood look cabinets are the new trend. Why why why change them, with the mountain of outdoor work ahead? And as others have pointed out, address the entry, and maybe the basement. That’s challenge enough for now.

• suezbell
    6 years ago

In light of the sale profit restrictions you mention, be sure you DOCUMENT every penny you spend on this house and lot -- keep all receipts -- so that these costs are applied to your cost -- otherwise any improvements that increase your sale price will be deemed profit.

• pandtkendall
    6 years ago

First I want to compliment you accepting that you made a mistake and so thoroughly looking for a solution. And so intelligently investigating your options. However, as someone who was a realtor for years, I must caution you that you must decide if this is going to be a short term home for you until you can sell it and find the home and neighborhood you always wanted or if you are going to do major projects that will have you spending money that you will never get back in an eventual sale. Buyers will never pay a fair price for a home that is over-improved considering the neighborhood it is in. Reading all these posts I must warn you to slow dow, talk with several successful realtors and listen to their opinions before you even consider doing some of the projects being discussed. I'd start with landscaping and an entrance facing the street to spruce up the curb appeal. Spending big bucks on other major projects is a mistake and won't pay off. JMHO. Good luck to you.

• suezbell
    6 years ago

Aside from fencing and/or planting a privacy hedge, building a front deck/porch and new entry may well be the most useful "bang for the buck" idea -- and it's something that could be done in different stages as your budge permits is to build an 8' deep deck over the sidewalk extending all the way to the end of the house. Later you could roof part of that deck nearest the front door. Later you could enclose and floor that roofed part of that deck for an entry with a door facing the road. Later you could roof over the rest of the deck.

You could reuse your original stoop and steps at the end of the new deck/porch at the front corner of the house.

If you do this, use 8' treated deck (thicker, rounded edges) boards for the deck floor, with the ends of those boards (rather than the sides of the boards) against the house.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Top-Choice-Common-5-4-in-X-6-in-x-16-ft-Actual-1-in-x-5-5-in-x-16-ft-Premium-Radius-Edge-Pressure-Treated-Southern-Yellow-Pine-Deck-Board/4756863

and use recommended deck screws so you don't need to deal with rusty nails in your future.

Would not even begin to do anything to the basement for at least a year. That lot doesn't look basement friendly; does your basement even have a door directly to the outside?

• lshack17
    6 years ago
    Hi Travis This is what I would do. Short and sweet.

Paint cabinets white
    Do Floors
    Install window in front
    Landscape

Think window and landscaping obviously help curb appeal. Floors are so distracting and bad, if they are changed, I think it will be a game changer. I am always Team White Cabinets, timeless, classic and will really give a fresh clean look.

All will be well, don't dwell on the past. Be proud of yourself that you were in a position to buy a house at such a young age. Perfect house? No. But life lessons are priceless.
  • shea
    6 years ago

Travis, I love the sketch that mjlb did. There are a few of us who have been building on that idea.

I don't think you would need a concrete foundation for a screened in porch or mud room type entrance. If you started with a deck then upgraded it to a room later. You might need concrete footings, just build it with keeping in mind that it might be a sub floor one day. Meaning.. make it a sturdy one.

I believe what people mean by "paint grade" is that the wood has an imperfect grain and paint will fill that in. If they were some kind of vinyl material, painting probably wouldn't be an option. But yours won't be too difficult because they don't have paint and they are probably some kind of MDF or fiberboard. Just sand them first, and in-between coats. Now days there are some paints specifically designed for cabinets. Milk paint claims that you don't have to sand and it looks sprayed on even when it is brushed on. Just the last 2 years paint has come a long way because painting cabinets has become more trendy and cost effective than replacing them. So painting cabinets is not so daunting now. Just google painting kitchen cabinets. Pinterest is a good place to look for that stuff too. I have done it in 2 houses and they turned out great with no chipping. Using a high quality caulking along the edges is important because when the weather changes and the wood expands, you can get cracking in that area. I'd also find something different for the floors. Even if it is just another sheet vinyl. There are a lot of cheaper options to slap down and cover up that crazy thing you got going on now. Those really are an eye sore and distracting.

I believe the upgrades you are doing will improve your chances of being able to sell your house when the time comes. Keep your receipts and don't go overboard and keep an eye on real estate in your area.

Oh, and I would also wait and see what the basement does before doing anything down there. Make sure mold doesn't grow and it doesn't flood. That would be terrible if you dumped money and time just to have to tear it all out.

• Denita
    6 years ago

Agree 75% with Ishack17. I would do the same list, but not paint the cabinets. Re-read the last post above by Mrs. S as to why painting those oak cabinets isn't worth the time, money or effort. In addition to that, your profit restrictions on the type of mortgage you have are very strictly construed if it is anything like the similar programs here in my area.

Please research this aspect of your mortgage because they don't allow a recovery of expenses in my area. The sales price is restricted to X% per year of the original purchase price. The whole idea is that you buy and sell when you get on your feet without pouring money into the house. It is one of the most restrictive first time home buyer programs available. Having said that, they are all different so check your program for specifics. It will be in your mortgage document.

• nosoccermom
    6 years ago

Link to GF milk paint here on Gardenweb:

https://www.gardenweb.com/discussions/3485219/cabinet-paint-rave?n=14

I second the experience with that paint. It's incredible with minimal prep and amazing looking results (I sound like a commercial).

For comparison: I've done 1 1/2 rental kitchens (one only the lowers) with GF gel stain and a bathroom vanity (including on the plastic laminate side). Also relatively easy and very good looking results. All have held up extremely well for several years now.

I also did a large vanity with BM Advance, primer, sanding, the whole nine yards. It looks good and has held up well but was so much more work.

• lshack17
    6 years ago
    Denita, I did read Mrs S 's post about DIY cabinet painting. I believe she is spot on. I should have clarified that I think Travis should get them professionally done as I think it would create one of the biggest transformations in the house for the money. That's why so many people on Houzz paint cabinets as well. Obviously get several estimates to stay on budget .
  • Denita
    6 years ago

Ishack17, if the OP had a different mortgage, I would be on board with you 100% :)

But because of the type of mortgage he has it would be just throwing away $7k or whatever it would cost to have a professional paint the cabinets and for anyone, $7k is a lot to throw away. JMO.

Edit: I am a Realtor and I work with a lot of first time home buyers. There are many different programs available. There is one that restricts profit and it is my least favorite because of that restriction. Why should the government tell a home owner the max amount they are allowed to make on a property rather than getting market value? JMO.

For the OP I am saying he needs to check his mortgage before he spends any money so he doesn't end up throwing the money away if his mortgage has the profit restriction. He indicated earlier that it does. Just trying to save him some heartbreak when he sells.

• lshack17
    6 years ago
    Denita, from my research for a home we were considering the average cost to professionally repaint cabinetry is about $3,000. Could be more, could be less. And with that kind of job, you definitely get what you pay for. Of course, depends on where you live and size of kitchen. The OP doesn't have very many cabinets to paint and there is no island. I just don't want him to be scared by the "$7,000 or whatever" number. He is 22, those cabinets make the house look like a much more mature person lives there and he probably feels like it everyday as well. And I think that might be the biggest problem, he may feel like this home is not a reflection of him in any way.
  • lshack17
    6 years ago
    All the mortgage info you provided is great insight. Agree about the government restrictions. Lots to consider.
  • Debbie Downer
    6 years ago

People fixating on their own personal whims here and not the big picture. Iseriously doubt that wood cabinets (new) would make or break a sale. Evidence: the fact that so much real estate IS sold with wood cabinets! And if they were all that repulsive, then people wouldnt buy them and you wouldnt see them in Ikea, HD, everywhere they are sold. I rest my case.

• lshack17
    6 years ago
    Please do not misquote me or twist my words. I never said the wood cabinets were "repulsive". Perhaps you need to reread my post for comprehension. No news flash about retailers selling wood cabinets currently or homes still being sold with them. Obviously. The OP clearly states the home is not to his taste. His words, not mine. We are all trying to help him overcome that.
  • housegal200
    6 years ago

Get a professional landscape designer right now and start on that. Seriously. That will make a huge difference on the outside and frame the house.

The kitchen cabinets do not need to be painted or basement finished right now. You're looking at empty rooms. Spend what you would spend on all these not urgent upgrades by paying a designer to help you pick out great furnishings that will enhance the rooms and suit your lifestyle. You'll get advice about layouts, style, colorsThe results will be a place you enjoy and that will look great when you're ready to sell.

P.S. If you're going to paint anything, paint the outside door mustard yellow or tomato red.

Thinking Outside Of The Box: 3 Unusual Exterior Color Palettes · More Info

• Debbie Downer
    6 years ago

Ishack, I was not quoting you or directing my comment to you specifically, but the general thrust of many comments here. Sorry I didnt state that more clearly.

• aprilneverends
    6 years ago

..just to add that I agree my list would be:

-handling the feeling of arrival so to say. I like your sketches; and there are many wonderful suggestions in the thread. be it the window, tackling the porch, creating a gate..I'd probably go with window for now, if possible, one can always add to that. But yes it's crucial-both for you now, and for future buyers. It'll give a totally different vibe. And we're all after the vibe, whether we know it consciously or we don't.

-changing the floors. Nothing gonna help these, you'll just spend money on rugs you might not like enough for their own merit. They're vinyl; they should be somewhat easier to handle, and probably one feels less bad? than if it was some parquet from 19 th century. Consider what you pick instead; but I bet it'd be better whatever you choose. It's really hard to do worse, and you strike me as someone with a good eye.

-landscaping..which one can really add to number one in my list

-wouldn't paint the cabinets just so they go with unfortunate flooring. Would leave as is; they'll look all better when floors are changed, especially if you change hardware at some point, and replace boob light with some pendant that speaks to you. I recommend sites like Etsy for finding interesting hardware and lights of high quality for fraction of the price you'd pay for new and very so-so.

-wouldn't tackle the basement at this point.

You obviously possess vision; the thread itself as I've said already is full of great suggestions..it'll come together.

• Travis
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Ishack17 hit it exactly by saying the house isn't all to my taste. Heck, I don't even like the color of the house. It's brand new vinyl siding and I've been told it's a bad idea to paint that.

I don't mind the oak cabinets so much if the place just matched. I'm no design pro but I feel like I have a decent grasp on what blends together.

I realize everything functions as its suppose to and that's great and all, but the amount I want to change to make it to my preference is so beyond overwhelming that it would make more sense to have a different house entirely.

Selling restrictions accounted for, I have been told I should be able to sell it for enough to basically break even and walk away. It's a sad option, but I think I'd be happier just renting somewhere I enjoy and don't even have to think about all the projects.

• lshack17
    6 years ago
    Travis, if you were told that you could sell it and break even now then maybe that is the best thing to do. No sense in sinking more money into it and being unhappy while living in the home that you dislike. At 22 you are probably better off renting, anything is possible right now. A different job opportunity could come along, you could meet someone and want to get married, and the house might weigh you down with all that. I wish you all the best! And when the next real estate purchase happens, you will know not to bring the family into the decision. :)
  • Debbie Downer
    6 years ago

Just one more comment, and then Im done. The way to get cabs to blend with the grayness everywhere else is to repeat the gold-brown of the cabinets elsewhere. Your color scheme for the space would be gray (60%), gold (30%) + white (10%). Or reverse proportions of gold and white. Gray/gold/white is a beautiful combination.

Also a reality check: adding on rooms = costs in the tens of thousands.

All the best to you OP - whatever you decided.

• Yayagal
    6 years ago

You are only 22 which means your brain hasn't fully developed yet. You were given an opportunity to get your feet wet in real estate at a deal price. I would say you're better off than most people your age. I bought my first house with my own money at 20 and it was far from my dream but I realized that you work toward a dream. They don't come to you. You have to own the fact that you agreed to buy it, therefore, it's you who caused you to be regretful. That being said, you sound like a smart, capable young man. I worked hard as did my husband and saved money at age 20 and we bought our second house and kept the first for rental. The second house was a two family which paid for both house mortgages. This process was repeated and repeated over the years until we retired and then we sold them all but two. We are very comfortable now as seniors . I hold my first home in high esteem for giving us the opportunity at a low price to purchase it at my parents urging. It was hard work, my husband worked all day and worked on projects at night for years and years. I say this to you to try and think ahead of this time and look to how to make your way in life. I would keep the house for five years, accept that, do what you can afford and then sell. By that time you will have made a hefty profit. You'll then be at an age that has learned so much about being a home owner that you'll find your dream home.

• Kathi Steele
    6 years ago

Following

• Kathi Steele
    6 years ago

Whew. I am exhausted reading all the advice!! So , here is mine.

Travis......STOP. RIGHT NOW!!! JUST STOP. Take a deep breath. Exhale.

Now, get a piece of paper. List the things you like about your house. Now list the things you do not like about your house.

You will always have projects. However, you are jumping around more than a jack rabbit.

Pick an easy room, like a bedroom. Fix it the way you want...paint, curtains, bedspread etc.

Then pick another room, like a bathroom. Fix it the way you want....paint, curtains, towels, accessories, etc.

NOW, you can start to get organized about the bigger projects. You are only 22. Rome was NOT built in a day.

By doing the small projects, you can kind of get an idea about tools you want/need, how handy you actually are, how long it actually takes you to do the project you had projected X amount of time for, etc.

Now, decide what large project you think you might want to do. Plan, plan, and plan some more. If it is landscaping, do you want to expand the deck by the door? Add plants? Which plants? Where?

Do you see where I am going?

By stopping to take a deep breath, you can focus on ONE PROJECT AT A TIME. This will make your projects successful and keep you from feeling like you are underwater with no way to figure out which way is up.

Us nurses say...In a code, take your own pulse first. PLEASE, STOP AND TAKE YOUR OWN PULSE FIRST!!!!! Carpenters say....measure twice, cut one.

Then organize and plan. Then implement.

• pennydesign
    6 years ago

Travis, what bugs you the most that you won't have to take a loan out for (or use your credit card)? Sorry to be so rude and blunt, but that's what I would say to one of my own kids.

You have enough on your shoulders at the moment. My opinion is that you don't need any more.

• Travis
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Jumping around like a jack rabbit is right. Just a lot of things going on. Not sure if I mentioned yet that I'm actually in my last semester of college finishing up 2 degrees. It's been a hectic time handling my last class (basically finished in 3.5 years aside from 1 class that was only available in spring) and having to work double what I had been doing to cover expenses. The roommates I'm looking to get can't move til the semester is over, so it'd be like June 1st.

But, back to the main question. The house stuff. What bugs me most entirely about the house? I would say it's the lack of a view to the front and back yard (as well as a sense of a door to the backyard).

That's why I'm so stuck on the addition idea. It would really improve the appearance, lessen that trailer park look, and split off the yard to have a front and back. But as mentioned, that may not bring the return value in the end.

The neighborhood is new and developing. I dont think adding it would be too far above my neighbors. There's a few houses I'd say are a quite a bit nicer. I think the oldest house in the area is like 2001? But this suburb is currently only 4 streets wide and about 20 houses long. Only 2 streets are full. If anything the addition might actually make my house fit better to the houses on either side of me.

Ive briefly asked a contractor or two about the idea and I was getting numbers less than I actually expect. Between $10K and 15K. Which in my position is quite a lot, but I just would've expected between 25K and 30K?

While I do love the idea of a pergola or a patio out front (or the side technically), I still wanted that sense of a front and back door walk out from a living room feel.

Again, I know I'm stubborn and I've got a lot of ideas beyond my financial capacity until I get into a solid job, but spitting ideas back and forth actually is enlightening and helpful.

• suezbell
    6 years ago

The floor may not be your first choice but it isn't truly ugly. Truly ugly is damaged and in need of repair.

You can buy a long rug runner for the hall and most of the rest of the floor will end up "hidden" by furniture anyway.

Don't let this become a money pit that damages your economic future rather than the good investment you intended.

Spend as little as possible to make the entrance you mentioned you dislike tolerable to you ... not to anyone else, just you.

Spend enough on the yard to make your yard suit your intended use of it -- whether that be fencing in the back and/or side yard for a pet enclosure and/or defining your property lines with a fence and/or privacy screen.

Otherwise save as much of your money as you can for at least a year and then decide on your own priorities.

• richfield95
    6 years ago

I haven’t read through every comment, but I’m not sure your addition idea will give you the improvement you’re going for. To make a comfortable living room addition, it should be around 16’ wide. My living room is a 12’ wide addition and it sucks, all we can fit is a couch and 2 chairs. Also, have you thought about what you’d do with the roof line with your addition?

if your heart is set on an addition, aim a little smaller for something that’s more like a foyer

• shea
    6 years ago

If your priority is the entrance and a door to the back yard and window to the front, then just focus on that. Even if you just started with a larger deck and a fence with a gate with intentions to do more to it as funds provided. I would think adding a window in front and a door in back would not be too expensive. Or just start with a window. There are so many prefab things you can buy now, and those things go on sale on holidays.

Interior color changes can happen slowly over time. Sometimes it takes living in the space to get ideas on how you want it to look anyway. You might decide that the floors - cabinet color clash isn't so bad once all of your things are inside. Or you may decide on something totally different.

I do things in phases and in order of what will bring the most value first in case I have to hurry and sell for some reason. Or incase I never have money to do the next project again. I still ask my real estate agent when I am ready to do a project if project A or project B would bring more bang for my buck.

• pennydesign
    6 years ago

Well, the question of a back door isn't really a question at all, since you have bedrooms back there...so let that go.

The front is something you can do. Get some roommates and maybe 2 years of their income will give you enough to have that done. You can't really do anything until then. Maybe paint to your liking and to go with whatever furnishings you have....that's a budget friendly way to get a change.

Good luck! You'll be fine!

• Travis
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I don't actually mean a back door off the end of the hall where the bedrooms are. I'm fine with heading to get to the backyard from the side door, I just think it would be a lot nicer if it went through another room with a sliding door to head out back. That's the idea. In time.

• Travis
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I have no idea what to do with this wall and corner if I can't add a window any time soon. It's such an awkward opening. Standing pillars/columns to the roof? Giant paintings?

A doorway over it might severely restrict getting a bed down there. The stairwell could probably be cut at the corner to widen it though.

• pennydesign
    6 years ago

How long is the half wall, from wall to end?

• Travis
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Didn't measure yet but I'm gonna guess about 16 feet.

• pennydesign
    6 years ago

So you have room for a tiny foyer and front door all the way to the right. You should still make your clearances.

Not ideal, but it's a way to have the door at the front without moving stairs.

If you do move the stairs, I would just 180 them and eliminate the garage entry...I would have a back door on the wall next to your fridge...You could steal space there, too. All of your stairs are open but they don't need to be. You could probably take about five feet from it. I would have a garage entry by the back door and have a small side yard with a walk way to the "back" yard.

It's not such a terrible hardship to have to go outside in order to access the garage.