SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
caroline94535

Ideas needed for narrow, asymmetrical dining nook

caroline94535
15 years ago

We moved into the Little House of Horrors and began having to do major repairs and extensive renovations just to make it livable. Now, for the first time in 14 months I have the livingroom/dining nook area free and clear of all the packing boxes and folks, I need help!

The room is long and narrow and has only one uninterrupted wall, at the north end of the living room area. I won't even post photos of that end of the room yet.

Here's the dimensions and challenges...

The floor is white oak hardwood, but won't be uncovered and refinished until next summer. After refinishing the hallway and two bedrooms, it's time for a rest from the sander.

The large living room window (not shown) will also be replaced next summer.

The baseboards and all trim will be replaced; crown molding will be added. The walls will probably be painted a sage color.

The south end of the room, roughly 11'8" long by 6' or 7' wide (in the middle table area) falls between the front door and the 8' opening to the kitchen. I want to squeeze a tiny breakfast nook in this area. This will be where Wes and I have breakfast, and where I will sit to read, drink tea, and enjoy the southern exposure during the long, cold, dark North Dakota winters. This window is a lifesaver during the winter. We seldom use the front door and the L/R area is concentrated at the other end of the room so the table can extend a bit into the traffic path with no problems.

I have this consignment-shop find table. It's 29 and 3/4" tall; 36" in diameter. The top is solid maple and 2" thick. The base is cast iron that has been brass plated. It's one heavy table; I can hardly move it. The top has been refinished, but it can be painted or restained once we decide on the new LR furniture. The base can remain "gold" or can be sandblasted and painted matte black.

The bookcases are temporary; they will be moved to the craft room soon. Even with all the remodeling mess I wanted something enjoyable out where I could see it. I want to find a tall, corner display cabinet/buffet/hutch type piece of furniture to put the right of the door. It will have to fit in the corner and each of its two side can be up to 28" from where the two walls meet out to its outer edge.

I want to replace the shorter bookcase with one that matches, or coordinates, with the hutch. The bookcase could be up to 42" inches tall. I'll put "something" bigger where the clock is.

Which leads me to the real problem.

The window.

There's about 67" of wall space to the left of the window; there's 20" of space to the right, and the window is 50" wide. This area use to have a tiny wind-lock foyer and a wall 20" to the left of the window, making a square room with the light centered in its ceiling. Now I have a long partial room with two mis-matched lights, an off-center window, and a real challenge.

I want to keep a bookcase to the right of the window. I want the table to appear centered. I'll find a 60" round rug to put under it, and I'm "shopping" for two vintage chairs that will complement the table. The chairs shown go with the set that will be in the sunporch/dining room.

I thought I could hang a wide rod that would extend no more than 6" to the right of the window, and then about 22" to the left of the window. I could hang a full, stationary panel to the left of the window. It would just barely cover the window trim and extend 20" to the left.

I want a 3-5 loop swag or scarf that would go the length the rod, and hang down about 2/3 of the window length on the right, and nearly to the floor, over the stationary panel, on the left. I will have to have a blind of some sort hung inside the window frame to control light and privacy.

Would this make the table look "centered" and still not cover up any of the glass?

Please feel free to rip my ideas apart and tell if I have any hope of turning this thin sliver of a room into a quasi-tearoom, breakfast nook.

South west corner...

South east corner, bookcases and purple loveseat will move to other rooms.

The table needs to appear to be centered.

The table before being refinished...

Comments (10)