SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
criticalmass048

Basic DIY Alarm Questions

14 years ago

My sister has purchased a DIY alarm kit, and for reasons I can't get into, it needs to be hooked up and functioning quickly, even if only basic components at first, such as one panel, doors, and windows. We can worry about the PIR alarms, monitoring, and secondary panel later. Right now, we're just interested in securing entry points and making the siren go off. I'm sure you can use your imagination for the reason!

I've mounted the alarm panel in the cellar, although I haven't connected power or battery backup yet. We've got several switches, both concealed reed and surface-mount magnetic.

While I've never done an alarm before, I feel comfortable with the wiring and programming, which I know will be specific to this system anyway. I just want this to be as quick, as neat, and painless as possible. I don't mind patching up tiny holes or anything else, but I'm also not looking to rip out any walls, either.

I'll be glad for any tips or hints I can get, such as how to run the wires without too much of a mess, common mistakes I should look out for, things like that. Of specific interest is the living room... there's a front door, two windows next to the door, and windows on the side of the LR. Do I use one zone for the door and one for the windows, do I use one zone for all of them, or three seperate zones? If you wire multiple doors/windows on the same zone, for example, am I making a complete circuit of panel-door-window-panel, or am I simply going from each door/window to the panel and connecting the wires to the same terminals?

Thanks so much for any help I can get!

Comments (14)