SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ravencajun

MS update KB951748 and ZoneAlarm --- PROBLEM

For those of you using Zone alarm firewall and some other firewalls as well might want to block todays Windows update number KB951748 till it can be re-released with a fix.

It has caused many people's computers to loose their internet connections once it was installed.

Here is info from dslreports Quote:

"For those of you using ZoneAlarm who installed the windows updates today, you probably already know that your internet connection has died. It appears that KB951748 made changes to the networking files that ZA doesn't see/recognize.

After two hours of messing around, I found an inelegant solution that will work temporarily ... set the Internet Zone Security permission slider from high to medium. The connection will be restored.

I discovered this after I finally figured out ZA was blocking my internet connections, and turned it off. Once everything worked again as normal, I started playing around and hit on this lowered permission setting.

I imagine the ZA forum will be full of better solutions, but thought this would get you back up and running in the short term."

ZoneAlarm is investigating the issue with Microsoft update KB951748

here is the ongoing discussion at dslreports for those that care to follow along.

MS update KB951748

Some have reported that un-installing za and re-installing did not help. At this time the 2 options seem to be to either remove that particular windows update if you got it or set your za to medium. I am sure there will soon be a fix for the update so I am just going to hold tight and wait for it.

Comments (52)

• owbist
    15 years ago

It will be interesting to see if MS or Zonealarm create a fix, probably Zonealarm

• fruitjarfla
    15 years ago

I got updated too. Nothing urgent going on so I installed the updates. Sure enough, the update killed my cable access to the internet. Re-setting Zonealarm to off didn't make a difference, I resorted to system restore.

• Related Discussions

Error Code 80246005 after update; can't go online

Q

Comments (12)
    Hi jean001, If your machine is still slow, when you get time post a Hijackthis log and I will look at it for you. It could prove to be very beneficial here are instructions, Click Here to download HJTInstall.exe Download the one on the left Version 2.0.3 (Beta) Save HJTInstall.exe to your desktop. Doubleclick on the HJTInstall.exe icon on your desktop. By default it will install to C:\Program Files\Trend Click on Install. It will create a HijackThis icon on the desktop. Click on the Do a system scan and save a logfile button. It will scan and the log should open in notepad. Click on "Edit > Select All" then click on "Edit > Copy" and Paste the entire contents of the log into your next post. DO NOT use the AnalyzeThis button, its findings are dangerous if misinterpreted. DO NOT have Hijackthis fix anything yet. Most of what HJT lists will be harmless or even required by your Operating System.
    ...See More

Unable to install Java Update...Help please.

Q

Comments (4)
    Sapphires, go ahead and update your ZA as the update has the fix for the problem encountered with the MS update. Then reboot. Hopefully, when you attempt the Java update, ZA will ask if you want it allowed. Check for it to be allowed and for ZA to remember this setting. That should take care of the problem for you.
    ...See More

? Re: MS Updates

Q

Comments (7)
    hum I have no idea, try rebooting a couple times and see if it fixes it. With some updates doing a few reboots kinda helps. are you talking about shortcuts to programs on your pc or shortcuts to websites that your browser opens? and if so what browser?
    ...See More

Reposting a problem

Q

Comments (13)
    Owbist, you know I have the highest respect for you and your wisdom. But, I disagree with a number of your points. I stick my English muffin in the toaster and push the button and know in approx. one minute I have my toast, ready for the butter. My DVD goes in the slot and I hit Play - there you go. I turn on my TV, flip channels and find the show I want to see. I don't want to configure my computers - I want them to work without shouting warnings, stopping me in my tracks with updates, scans, scans, scans...I don't understand a language with doesn't fit with mine - had to run a search to figure out why the 'new Word' kept double-spacing all my letters and I couldn't find the place to change the fonts. Ready for this? - Home-Editing-Styleset-Word 2003. Then to change fonts - Home, editing, style-set, scroll the list and choose. Then a window pops up saying "Changes have been made that affect the global template Normal.dotm. Do you want to save those changes? Would that be something the average user would understand? - I would never have figured it out myself, ever! There were so many steps, I had to write them all down. I would never remember that a week from now. I am so furious over MS changing Word, which I have used for years and now is the biggest headache anyone should have to deal with. Why should anyone have to know that IE should originate from Programs (I think) and not system 32? What the heck is system 32 (don't answer I'm not interested). The bottom line is the computer is not geared for the average user at all. It requires too many steps to get anything done eg. saving a document requires too many steps, setting up files and folders is so confusing for the average user they don't do it. They lose everything. It does not save time at all, requires much more time and concentration to get a simple task done. Unless you do something over and over again, you can't remember all the steps. It can be so frustrating, a truly negative experience. Most people I know only use the computer for email and looking around the web. I am forever being asked for help and really feel their frustrations and see how totally confused they are. They don't know what they are doing and when you explain something to them, they still don't get it. These are not idiot people. They are people who don't want to spend hours, weeks and months trying to figure out how they can download pictures without losing them. They don't want to learn a new language, be an electrician or programmer. They want to download a photo, send it in an email. They are confused by the language, the terms, the windows popping up. I have an appointment tomorrow, with another computer tech and will need to spend a lot of money to get my network (hardwired) working again. This has been an ungoing problem which has cost me so much money and time to find out why my machines refuse to share. They work together for a while and then quit and I've tried everything to no avail. I've had 3 different computer people work on this and no one has cured the problem. For what I've spent so far on this, I could have bought a new computer. Computers are not stable. When they work, they work well. When some glitch happens, everything stops. I'll take my toaster any day. Sorry for the rant, it's been a long day, Jane
    ...See More
  • bob414
    15 years ago

Same thing happened to me. I tried turning off zone alarm and turning windows firewall on and even briefly turned off other protections and still couldn't connect so I used system restore. And to top it off some way automatic updates got turned on and it was installed again so I had to restore again. If I could get a couple of programs to work I would go completely to linux. I dual boot now and generally use linux to connect to the internet but want to be able to connect from windows at times.

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    Original Author
    15 years ago

well it seems that MS and ZA are working on it and have been through the night so I am assuming someone will come up with a fix soon.

It seems some of the older versions of za are not affected. I have not tried doing the update yet, I do use one of the old versions of zapro.

Has anyone here had the update go through while using an old version and not had a problem?

I had hoped I could post this thread early enough to help some not get stuck in this mess. Well at least maybe some will be helped.

• sapphires
    15 years ago

Hi, This problem has affected me as well. How can I unistall that update? Thanks.
    Sapphires

• grandms
    15 years ago

I got hit by this update, too. Had no idea what caused it, but realized the last thing I had done before I lost Internet connection was the updates. So I did a system restore to the last date BEFORE the updates and was back in business.

I'll download the other two and get the offending one later.

• sapphires
    15 years ago

Hi Everyone,
    Advice requested, opinions wanted. Would it be best to uninstall the update or a system restore? Either, I don't know how to do and would need step by step for each. Right now I have ZA shutoff, not something I want to do for long. Thanks.
    Sapphires

• zep516
    15 years ago

sapphires see the link, these are you options for now from Zone alarm w/instructions given.

Here is a link that might be useful: Zone Alarm

• sapphires
    15 years ago

Zep,
    Thank you.
    Sapphires

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Download and install the latest versions

they have released a new version of zone alarm to correct this problem, you can get it and put it right over the top of your current version. If you had set your slider to medium be sure you go back and set it to HIGH again for full protection. Then you can go get the microsoft update.

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Apparently Kerio firewalls were also affected by this update, not sure which versions but reports of some versions being affected.

Hoping that microsoft will also issue a fix for the update itself too.

• Elly1
    15 years ago

Hi all,
    I had the same problem but did not know which update caused it (there were two in my case)....I called my ISP support (Verizon) and they said that it was probably the update as I connected OK, just could not open a browser!
    They suggested I do a system restore which I did - well it happened again today (again 2 updates) so I did another system restore (what kind of an idiot am I?) and all is well now or I wouldn't be posting this. I also went to ZA and set the slider to MEDIUM...Now I am afraid of updates!!
    Elly

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    Original Author
    15 years ago

you obviously have your updates set to auto update it will con tinue to put the update on your pc if you do not set the auto updates to notify only which will tell you there are updates but let you choose when to install and which to install. Start> control panel>automatic updates set to notify only

you can now go ahead to zone alarm and just get the new version for your zone alarm version and it will fix it, you can just download and install it right over your old version.
    once you have done that be sure you set the slider back to HIGH.

once you have the zone alarm update done and installed then you can go to windows update and allow it to install the updates.

• sapphires
    15 years ago

ravencajun,
    Thank you. I clicked on your link for the updated version of ZA. Once there they list the different versions. For the FREE one, is it the ZoneAlarm Basic Firewall that is free?

Sapphires

• ginny12
    15 years ago

I could not install the new version of Zone Alarm. I got a message saying, "Setup is unable to log into the True Vector service. [What the heck is that?] Please use the service manager to shut down the True Vector service and then restart the installer program."

Instead, I had to uninstall the Windows critical update KB951748, which is the trouble-maker. Now all is fine til my automatic update kicks in tonight as it is set to do every night. I can't believe they haven't found a good fix for this by now--or that it happened at all.

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    Original Author
    15 years ago

ginny12 true vector is an integral part of zone alarm, perhaps if you turned off the zone alarm before you try to get the new version and install it. However everyone has been saying that it will turn off the current version as it does the install but maybe some thing on yours is preventing that so you will manually have to turn off your zone alarm before hand. It sounds like it is telling you to do just that turn it off then restart the installer.

Sapphires yes the zone alarm basic firewall is the free version that is the one you will want.

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    Original Author
    15 years ago

you should turn your auto updates to notify only for now so this will not continue to be installed and cause you this problem it is super simple to do, I leave mine on notify only all the time so this kind of stuff does not happen.

Start> control panel>automatic updates set to notify only, apply

• mxyplx
    15 years ago

ginnny 12

If you right click My Computer > manage > Services & Applications > Services > scroll to True Vecter Internet > double click it > Find Startup type > scroll that to disable and click disabled and that should do it.

Set it back to automatic when you are thru.

Maybe it'd be simpler to just open the Task Mananger > Choose vsmon.exe > end task. Then it'd prolly restart itself on a restart cause its default is automatic.

• jane__ny
    15 years ago

Same thing happened to me. ZA dead in the water. Had the Vector message. Had to start Windows Firewall. Will try mxyplx's suggestions.

What a pain!

Jane

• mxyplx
    15 years ago

OR!

You can go to this site

http://www.greenwood.iwarp.com/sgcomputer.html

and read this:

If you are having trouble updating or installing the Zone Alarm firewall, with error messages such as "Validation failed for..." any number of dlls, or that it can't shut down the True Vector Monitor, etc., here is the solution. First, if you were already using Zone Alarm, uninstall it. Second, there's a mess of files and folders you must delete. ZoneLabs gives lengthy instructions on how to do that, but to make it easy, I wrote a simple command file. Download and unzip the CMD file zfix.zip, then run it. It'll clean all traces of any old installation from your system, and you can now run a fresh installation with no problem.
    To clarify why this happens, the explanation is simple. Uninstalling Zone Alarm in the normal fashion does not remove all the files and folders. When a new version of ZA is applied, XP prevents old files from being replaced by new files because of certificate verification mismatches. Thus, ALL old files have to be manually removed. This doesn't affect the computer or registry in any way. When the new ZA is installed, registry entries for the old installation are still valid as they simply point to newer versions of the exact same files in the exact same pathways.
    WARNING: Zfix is an easily edited command file. If you downloaded it anywhere but here, you may want to verify it by right-clicking it, selecting the "Edit" option, and comparing it to this text:

And then you can click on the sfix.zip link and download this:

zfix.zip

And use it and all your troubles will evaporate. :-)

• fruitjarfla
    15 years ago

After purposely running the Microsoft updates after being warned, losing my internet connection, resetting Zonealarm, using the System Restore, then then installing new version of Zonealarm, I think I found a little problem. After all of that, it appeared that my system slowed down - or it was my local Comcast doing one of its slow-downers. I ran SuperAntiSpyware and it caught a Microsoft program as a culprit - so I removed it. Unfortunately I did not note the Microsoft program but things appear okay now and the computer is running at its old speed.

• jane__ny
    15 years ago

My problem is I didn't install the update instead tried to install the ZA upgrade before installing and it killed ZA. Why would ZA offer this 'fix' when it doesn't work??? Mxyplx, your cure is more than I'm willing, or have time to tackle.

I've had it with Microsoft and this whole business is ridiculous! I was perfectly happy with ZA on all my machines and now it's dead.
    Some people rely on their computers for their work. Except for large businesses who can hire IT people to deal with these things before work, most of us have to do it ourselves. Windows runs my machines and I need them to work or I can't work! I suppose I should stay up all night at the office trying to fix these 'problems.' I can't do it during work.

Who the heck has time for all this? It's nonsense and I'm furious. I haven't even thought about SP3 the next nightmare.

ZA's fix didn't fix. I don't have the MS update and have spent hours trying to get ZA back and running to no avail. Now I'm stuck with Windows miserable Firewall...

Any suggestions for a new firewall?

Jane

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    Original Author
    15 years ago

the 2 on here are honestly the only 2 I have seen that had this problem trying to get the zone alarm new version. All the people on dlsr have had success installing the new zonealarm right on top of the old one, of course being certain they got the correct zonealarm application like the free firewall or the full suite etc that would definitely create a problem.

Comodo has a decent firewall, online armor, kerio here is a site that lists all good programs that you can read up about.
    Security / Privacy / Encryption

• sapphires
    15 years ago

ravencajun,
    I need to ask one last thing. Should I shut down ZA first and then download and install the newer version? I hav XP, thanks.
    Sapphires

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Just found out that zone alarm is now pushing the fix out in their updates. This is what was said:
    Please use Update from the menu of your ZoneAlarm firewall.

this should go ahead and update your version and install the fix.

so give that a go and see it it works, it may in fact do auto update for those that have yours set to.

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Reports are now coming in that versions of Trend Micro firewalls are also affected by this MS update. There had been reports also of Kerio firewalls too.

Some routers have been a bit scrambled also.

maybe since this is now looking more specifically like a MS update problem they will release a hotfix to that update.

I personally run an old version of zonealarm pro, reports are that most of the older versions were not affected by this update, I have not tried it yet on my xp machines simply because of the screwed up routers I am reading about, I do not want to have my router get scrambled.
    I sure am glad I have these linux machines at times like this!

• DA_Mccoy
    15 years ago

Verizon router went out-of-service here after the automatic install of the update the night before. It took the son-in-law about 45 minutes to an hour on the telephone with Verizon to reconfigure the modem. Also, his decision is to disable ZA until more is known about the new release.

I don't have enough information to blame MS. It might not be their fault. If their update was dedicated to their product and it achieved their goal that would be fine. If they knew ahead of time about these identifiable concerns and released anyhow shame on them.

DA

• sapphires
    15 years ago

ravencajun,
    Should I shut down ZA first and then do the download and install? Yes, I know this a repeat question but I'd like an opinion please. Don't know what to do, confused.
    Sapphires

• jane__ny
    15 years ago

Da: This is #2 MS screw-up. I haven't even thought about SP3 (#1 screw-up) hoping they fix that, one of these days. This new update obviously works with their Firewall, that's all MS cares about.

I'm typing on my laptop because my desktop is screwed up and I don't trust Windows firewall. Didn't try the update on the laptop or my office machine. At least ZA still works on those.

Raven, I would only download for the free addition. No confusion there. This download seems to mess up the vector service.

Jane

• ginny12
    15 years ago

I deleted the MS update after first disabling the ZA firewall. Then I enabled the firewall but of course the update installed again at the pre-set time, with the same result--no internet. Repeated the process this morning and have now set the MS updates to once a week instead of every day. I'm hoping a solution will be found in that time period. Otherwise...who knows?

Just try to imagine the loss of productivity and the financial cost to so many because of this totally avoidable snafu. And despite the extent of the problem, I have not seen a word about it in the Boston Globe, my local paper, or on CNN.com. What else are they missing?

• DA_Mccoy
    15 years ago

I do not believe anything is anyone's "screw up" until it is proven that there is a "screw up. If any percentage of users are inconvenienced that is truly unfortunate but that does not make it the publisher's fault. There are so many variables: hardware, software, installation, download quality, to name a few. Without question every application , free or commercial, has its dark side. Could any thought be given that the #1 "screw up" may have been the initial releases of Firefox v3.0, AVG 8.0, Spybot v1.4, AdAware v2007, the current Symantec Security Suite, or any of the other recently released applications that inconvenienced users with pitfalls? If anyone doubts me I wish to refer them to the manufacturers' support links and their dedicated forums for enumerated problems.

I am not an avid MS supporter, a doom and gloom individual, or one who makes a knee jerk decision. What I am is a user who becomes informed, which can take some time, and then makes an intelligent decision. In time I will let the blame fall where it may. In the first 48 hours? I just can't do it.

Just a little extra item for thought, not for blame; if Zone Alarm had no advanced notice of the concern, how did it obtain the necessary core code from MS and release a compatible update so quickly?

DA

• cynandjon
    15 years ago

I uninstalled ZA and am using Windows FW until a solution is found. As soon as I uninstalled ZA, the problem with connections was resolved.

• fiddledeedee
    15 years ago

After ravencajun posted the fix link from ZA..I updated it and then held my breath and installed the MS update. Did it on both computers and not a problem..
    Thanks raven...
    Jackie

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    Original Author
    15 years ago

sapphires sorry this was my reply to you I just failed to add your name to it.

Just found out that zone alarm is now pushing the fix out in their updates. This is what was said:
    Please use Update from the menu of your ZoneAlarm firewall.

this should go ahead and update your version and install the fix.

so give that a go and see it it works, it may in fact do auto update for those that have yours set to.

if you do that you do not have to go to the download site jut do it from your zone alarm updates button. If you are going to do the actual download then sure go ahead and turn off ZA while you do the install, you can download it to your pc while the za is on but before you actually start the install, disconnect from the internet to be safe, turn it off. It is supposed to work with out doing that but turning it off sure won't hurt. But the update button now seems the way to go.

DA in answer to that last question MS and Zonealarm both have issued advisories that they began working on the problem after the update was issued, till that time ZA did not have knowledge of any problems, had the update info been shared with all the vendors ahead of time even in a 24 hr period before the release of the update for testing purposes things could have gone very differently. I understand this had to be done very hush hush because of the severity of this vulnerability to the DNS system which the update was to help patch but sharing it in a 24 hour period surely would not have been that much of a dangerous move especially since they would have been sharing the info with security vendors that they knew could be affected by a DNS patch.

Personally I think things could have been done a lot differently and still could be if MS would put out a hotfix on their part also not just expect all the various firewall vendors and router vendors to do it, this is unfortunately not only a ZA problem at this point. There simply has got to be some sort of program set in place to keep these kinds of issues from happening. IT is just getting the average user extremely frustrated and I feel terribly bad for those that have no one to help them and let them know why they can no longer get online.
    I sure don't know the perfect solution but this current situation ain't it!

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    Original Author
    15 years ago

what Verizon router please? and what Verizon service? DSL or FIOS? FIOS uses some D-link routers was it a D-Link? and was it wired or wireless?

They are trying to compile as much info as possible to see what all is being affected.
    Thanks!

• ginny12
    15 years ago

Where is the "zone alarm updates button", ravencajun? I can't find anything like that in ZA on my computer.

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Ginny unfortunately I do not have one of the new versions of za so I can not look and tell you where the updates option is but hopefully someone that has one of the newer versions will come on and reply.
    On my version of za pro when I open the za app and click on the configure tab the second item listed is check for updates and the option to check for updates automatically, right there is the update button to push to have it check for updates.
    I hope that helps.

• ginny12
    15 years ago

Thanks, ravencajun. Am on the phone w MS now. Will give your suggestion a try. Thanks again.

• bpgreen
    15 years ago

If you double click the ZA icon in the taskbar, it opens ZA with a bunch of options along the left side. Click on Overview. That has three tabs (Status, Product Info, Preferences). Choose Preferences. The top option is Check For Updates.

• jane__ny
    15 years ago

Ginny, let us know what the great MS has to say. I never had a problem getting on line. I couldn't get ZA to work when I hit update. I would not update saying I needed to log off Vector service. I did and it would say, I needed to log on to Vector. Back & forth - it just didn't update and that's where I am. I never installed the MS update. I'll try Raven's suggestion to update from ZA itself.

I would like to save my settings as I use my desktop at home, to connect to my office. It took quite a while to get that working well. If I lose my setting, I'm back to square one.

Ginny, please post back. I'm hoping MS offers a fix.

Jane

• DA_Mccoy
    15 years ago

RC,

My original post was from New Jersey and now I am home in Michigan. I lost a whole day traveling.

What I can share with you is that it is DSL which is wireless. However, during the reconfiguration Verizon had him hardwire to the router. After the fix the wireless and the hardwire were in-service.

I thank you for the additional information on the occurence. I will add it to what I already now, which is little as one can never remember important bookmarks when away from one's system. As the days move forward and the dust is shaken out on this I will draw my conclusion

I would be surprised if MS offers a fix as the liability might not be theirs and it appears ZA has already taken the initative to remediate the issue with their update.

Has anyone read if the most current free full version has been updated too? If it is that might be the way to proceed. First, completely delete the prior version including searching for orphan files and then a clean install of the most current. I just don't like overwrites particularly in a case such as this.

DA

• DA_Mccoy
    15 years ago

I found the answer to my full version question. The new release v7.0483.0 is a full free version of 44.66MB in size and reportedly includes the fix.

Here is a link that might be useful: File Hippo

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    Original Author
    15 years ago

yes DA the link I posted up in this thread for the download new versions has the links to all versions free and pay directly from the ZA site. They are saying this is an update and can simply be obtained by choosing the get updates button in your ZA version you currently have that way you will not loose your settings etc.
    Download and install the latest versions

Much more than zone alarm is now known to be affected, various firewalls and routers plus there were many dlls that were changed by the update. Those of you that did the update may find many of your settings are changed, for example folder view was changed from classic to something else and some others were also changed. Why I have no idea.

• jane__ny
    15 years ago

I just spent hours fooling with this but finally had to completely uninstall ZA and start over. I lost all my previous settings.

I could not follow the update instructions as ZA would not open. It was dead. I tried everything I knew. Finally took the directions to uninstall and clean out the registry. I got nervous and stopped. Finally used CCleaner to clean the registry and installed the new version of ZA.

It's running but I can't connect to my other computer. I'll have to spend time on that tomorrow. I still have not installed the MS update.

This got too complicated and I have 3 other computers to deal with if I do the MS update. I don't have the time nor want to deal with it.

Can I forget this MS update. How critical is it really?

Jane

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    Original Author
    15 years ago

unfortunately it is extremely important so some way some how we will all have to do this. Here are articles to help you get an understanding on this DNS vulnerbility which the patch is for.
    The DNS converts the words you type in the address bar into a numerical address thatÂs used to route all Internet traffic.
    Exploiting an error like that would make phishing scams simple  people would think they were at their bank website and happily type in personal details, which the criminals could then harvest.
    Internet flaw could let hackers take over the Web
    Deficiencies in the DNS protocol
    Major DNS flaw could disrupt the Internet

this is the site where you can find the DNS checker to have it run on your pc and see what it says about your system and how vulnerable it is.
    DNS Checker

For those that are needing to completely remove ZA from their system many people are reporting using this program to get a clean full uninstall, it is a free uninstall program which works well to remove many programs that can tend to be hard to remove. I personally have not used it but several people on the tech sites are recommending it.
    Revo Uninstaller

Zone Alarm also has detailed instructions on their site on how to do a clean uninstall should you need it.

• fruitjarfla
    15 years ago

Repeating what I did --- which sounds easier than some solutions. I purposely installed the MS updates after reading the warnings, and sure enough, lost my internet connection. Did a System Restore with a point before the events. I have not reinstalled the problem MS update and do not intend to do so. The obvious problem caused by the update went away but I sensed a slowdown in the computer operations. Ran SuperAntiSpyware that found a problem with a MS program and I made it go away. Installed new version of ZoneAlarm.

• ginny12
    15 years ago

Jane and others--The short answer is that MS was no help when I called them. They just parroted the info from the ZA website re workarounds and said they are working on the issue. No prediciton as to when a fix will be available, if ever. The guy sounded bored and uninterested. Not a good ad for MS.

• jane__ny
    15 years ago

Figures! ZA is no help either. After uninstalling my version and reinstalling the new 'fix' version, I find out that the fix is to keep it set at Medium. Can't move the slider to high.

Great fix. I'm not messing with my office machine. I'll take my chances.

Thanks for posting back,
    Jane

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Jane you can move the slider to high everyone who has done the update and got the fixed version from the zone alarm site is able to move the slider to high, try rebooting your pc and going back into zone alarm and seeing if you can move the slider
    here is the free new za version with slider set to high.

{{gwi:1482110}}

did you do the registration? that is the only reason it may not have let you. There was one person on dslr that had his show that it was not able to move to high but once he did the registration it went on to high, we do not know if that is what made the difference or if for some reason it just had not completed something he also did a reboot in between.

• DA_Mccoy
    15 years ago

As I was trying to catch up on my readings regarding this concern I found out that this is almost soley a XP concern.

I absolutely do not make light of this concern as it is inconvenient for many users, but this is at least one week where it felt good to be a Vista and a old reliable Win98 user.

DA

Sponsored
Custom Home Works
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Franklin County's Award-Winning Design, Build and Remodeling Expert