SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sue_va

Reposting a problem

sue_va
15 years ago

On the thread about popups I posted about my problem, but I believe it got lost among the other posts.

Here is my post:

I never get those popups. FF is my default browser. After reading this I went to IE to see if I was getting them there.

There I get a blank page and ZA alert tells me that Internet Explorer is trying to access the trusted zone.

"More info says

ZoneAlarm is asking you whether to allow the connection. No breach in your security has occurred. Your computer is safe.

First, bear in mind that the program that caused this alert may or may not be the program indicated by the file name iexplore.exe. Trojan horses and other malware sometimes masquerade as legitimate programs by using the same file name.

If you are certain that iexplore.exe is legitimate and properly named:

Give Internet Explorer permission to connect. See the Details tab to learn how to do this."

I denied and googled iexeplorer.exe and find that it could be a Trojan.

Now what should I do? Is iexeplorer.exe legit or is it a Trojan?

HPMedia Center XP SP2

I have SpyBot S&D, AVG, AdAware, all updated and run a couple days ago.

TIA

Sue

Comments (13)

• jane__ny
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Don't these firewalls make you feel so secure? This stuff drives my husband crazy and as a result he keeps clicking deny and gets nowhere.

I always allow because I assume Internet Explorer is safe. If I recognize the name, I allow. Sometimes I get various programs on my computer asking to access the internet and I assume they are checking for updates so I usually let them. Some times I deny, such as Picassa trying to connect because I wonder why it needs to access the internet.

These things can drive you crazy and many times I have no idea what something is. I'll deny and if my computer doesn't work right, I'll allow. For example, today there was an update for a program I use for work. As I began to download, Zone Alarm popped up saying 'something' (didn't recognize the name) was trying to access the trusted zone. I denied and it blocked my download. I had to allow to continue.

I'm sure there's an easier way to know what is safe and not safe, but I've yet to figure it out. You could allow IE because you were using it and its on your machine. I'm fed up with so much worrying and time it takes to do anything. I'm getting less and less observant because throughout the day you are bombarded with so much stuff. It drives me nuts!

Hope any of this makes sense and try not to worry too much,
    Jane

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    15 years ago

It is internet explorer if it is found in the proper location.
    The normal location of iexplore.exe is C:Program FilesInternet Exploreriexplore.exe There's a LOT of bugs you need to worry about if the exe is running in any location other than that one for example in the system32 or system file that would not be Internet explorer it would be some type of infection.

so check the path to your iexplore.exe file and if you find it in the Program Files and not in the System 32 or System it is likely your IE.

Virus writers often use the same name as a legit file or just a letter off so that with a quick glance you think it is a legit copy and it can fool some programs too including firewalls some times.

Or go start your IE then go to the iexplore.exe in your task manager and end task on it and see if it kills IE if so it is IE.

• Related Discussions

Repost: Desperate help!

Q

Comments (1)
    go down...
    ...See More

dogs in elk from 1999 long repost

Q

Comments (20)
    There were so many funny stories posted years ago. I'd be laughing until the tears were rolling. Anyone remember Marlin, the lady from Cuba who became a US citizen? Her posts and Dottie's were hysterical.
    ...See More

Repost -- Making Peace

Q

Comments (37)
    "the mother couldn't keep her perspective and do what was best for her children." You knew the girl's mother was going to be unhappy to find you at her daughter's First Communion, & you showed up anyway, & she's the one who can't do what's best for the children? about that "help me raise the children"... If bf really said that, you need to be wary. I had a boyfriend pull that on me years ago, & it still creeps me out. The children's mother was doing a fine job of "raising" them: The children *lived with their mother*. Their father went to their home one weeknight so she could get a breather, & he took them to his apartment every other week-end. My thought, then & now, is that a man who tells his girlfriend that he "needs someone to help me raise these children", unless he is a widower or his ex is in jail or a mental hospital, is not doing it for his children. He's stirring up trouble to hurt his ex, or he's manipulating his girlfriend, or both. That Monday-after-Mother's Day celebration sounds a lot like manipulating the girlfriend; make her think she's "like a mom", & she'll take on all the responsibility that belongs to him, with the added benefit that it aggravates his ex. & how do you plan to "raise" the children in the Catholic faith when they still have a living mother, & how do you reconcile spending the night with him when the girls aren't around with Catholic teaching?
    ...See More

re-posted for thekp + 3

Q

Comments (3)
    At this point, you're a girlfriend, & the children's mother has issues about your permanence in her daughters' lives, or maybe just territory issues. Either way, you probably ought to take a step back. You can't win, & putting their father in the middle just won't work at all. I wish you the best.
    ...See More
  • sue_va
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Jane, Since info from google said it could be a trojan I didn't want to risk it.

Raven, I found iexplore.exe In C:Program FilesInternet Exploreriexplore.exe. Didn't see anything about System 32 or system.
    I looked in Task manager, it was there but I chickened out at that point because I was afraid "kills IE" sounded ominous.

I tried to run Housecall and it wouldn't run, so I used ewido. Found 36 infections, all tracking cookies and MRUs, medium threat. Removed them.

IE seems to be working okay now, although I still don't know what happened.

Thanks again.

Sue

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    15 years ago

oh all I meant by kill IE is that it would shut down your IE open browser it just ends the task at the moment it does not do anything to your IE, so don't be afraid. the point being that if you have an IE window open then go to task manager and select it and end task it will shut your open IE window there by assuring you that it was indeed just the exe for IE.

all that was happening is that your zone alarm was asking if you wanted to let your Internet explorer access the internet, a firewall must ask for any program that tries to access the internet, when it is something you know is legit like your browser you can mark it on the pop up box and tell it to remember that so it will not ask each time. All applications that access the internet must go through zone alarm and zone alarm should always ask for permissions. Never give anything server rights though I have nothing with server rights.

It you found it in Program files you are fine it is your IE.
    often times when a windows update includes any type of update to IE it will trigger zone alarm to ask again because something in it has changed and it must let you know that it is different than the last time it accessed the internet.
    each time my firefox updates I have to go through that too.

• bpgreen
    15 years ago

ZA was the first personal firewall that protected against trojans that masqueraded as legitimate programs. What happened in your case is that you hadn't used IE in a long time, and it has been updated since you last used it. ZQ recognized that the program isn't the same as the program that ran the last time you ran iexplore.exe, so it's asking if it should let it access the internet. Since you've had numerous updates since you last ran IE, you should answer yes.

• jane__ny
    15 years ago

I knew you'd get better advice, but I'd like to say that most times the program which pops up in ZA is identifiable but sometimes it is not. If you have the luxury of time, you could google to find out what it is, but most times these things happen when you are busy. I find the names confusing, most times its impossible to know what it is. I never thought about looking for the path, now that is more time consuming.

I'm getting tired of how 'user unfriendly' the computer is and how much knowledge is required to do a simple task. I would never have thought to look at the path and even if I did, it wouldn't mean anything to me. How is a average computer user supposed to know all this. I've reached a point of taking my chances. There is no reason to require a person to have knowledge of so many things. I think its time for all these computer programmers to 'get real' although, I guess that's what keeps people who write the virus/spyware programs in business.

• owbist
    15 years ago

Ah but Jane are you correct in your statements? I will repeat what I have written a few times before and add a bit more.

Never in our history has there been a consumer product anywhere close to the computer. Never has there been an item that can be changed or modified by so many people, even those with limited knowledge of the computer. These are absolutely amazing devices and I am proud to be a user, just wish I knew more than I do.

How much can you re-configure a toaster, VCR or DVD player? Not much yet this incredible machine we have here can be altered in so many ways.

That fact alone creates the need for the 'script kiddies' (and now the professional thieves) to try getting into our computers. And they succeed in vast numbers sadly. Plus, according to a report I have read the bad guys are actually winning this war and that report was written by professional security people. A frightening scenario.

Just today it has come to light that anyone with a Facebook (or Myspace, cannot remember which) account had better be paying attention because many of those sites have been compromised. They are being advised via a popup to download a plugin to view something. There is nothing to view, this is the bad guys trying to take control.

Now let us turn to the positive stuff. You are an intelligent woman Jane, you know quite a lot about these machines. You also know that if there are things you do not know then you can come here or other forums and get those answers. Firewalls and protection from viruses and other malware have become essential tools to be successfull in keeping the computer clean but those task are not really that overwhelming. A few minutes a day is all that is needed, set a scan to run as you leave the computer and it will do it's task for you.

Yesterday I sat here in Canada riding in an 18 wheeler from Nashville to Richmond VA via his webcam sat on the dash looking forward. How incredible is that? I typed to him and he used a headset to reply, amazing. I can and do talk to family and friends in the UK while I can also see them on a webcam, while doing that we can exchange photos, documents or other files. Pure magic.

Anyway, you probably get the idea that I think computers are not a bad thing LOL.

• sue_va
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Ravencajun, whether it is an asset or a hindrance, I tend to read and hear literally, so, yeah, to me kill meant kill. Not your fault.

I understand Firewalls, etc, but this one was intimidating and google said it could be a Trojan, so I wasn't going to take any chances. I don't "do" Registry stuff ever.

All this started in the Popups thread. Are you all still getting them? I thought it odd that so many of us got none while others were overwhelmed with them.

Always better to be safe than sorry.

Sue

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    15 years ago

I gave up and went ahead and loaded adblock plus and a few other add-ons to my linux firefox, I just could not take these new ads on here any more. I know people have to do ads to make a living and that is why I try not to block everything but when it gets out of control you have to do something.

glad you got it all straightened out and it was not anything bad.

• jane__ny
    15 years ago

Owbist, you know I have the highest respect for you and your wisdom. But, I disagree with a number of your points.

I stick my English muffin in the toaster and push the button and know in approx. one minute I have my toast, ready for the butter. My DVD goes in the slot and I hit Play - there you go. I turn on my TV, flip channels and find the show I want to see.

I don't want to configure my computers - I want them to work without shouting warnings, stopping me in my tracks with updates, scans, scans, scans...I don't understand a language with doesn't fit with mine - had to run a search to figure out why the 'new Word' kept double-spacing all my letters and I couldn't find the place to change the fonts. Ready for this? - Home-Editing-Styleset-Word 2003. Then to change fonts - Home, editing, style-set, scroll the list and choose. Then a window pops up saying "Changes have been made that affect the global template Normal.dotm. Do you want to save those changes? Would that be something the average user would understand? - I would never have figured it out myself, ever! There were so many steps, I had to write them all down. I would never remember that a week from now. I am so furious over MS changing Word, which I have used for years and now is the biggest headache anyone should have to deal with.

Why should anyone have to know that IE should originate from Programs (I think) and not system 32? What the heck is system 32 (don't answer I'm not interested).

The bottom line is the computer is not geared for the average user at all. It requires too many steps to get anything done eg. saving a document requires too many steps, setting up files and folders is so confusing for the average user they don't do it. They lose everything. It does not save time at all, requires much more time and concentration to get a simple task done. Unless you do something over and over again, you can't remember all the steps. It can be so frustrating, a truly negative experience.

Most people I know only use the computer for email and looking around the web. I am forever being asked for help and really feel their frustrations and see how totally confused they are. They don't know what they are doing and when you explain something to them, they still don't get it. These are not idiot people. They are people who don't want to spend hours, weeks and months trying to figure out how they can download pictures without losing them. They don't want to learn a new language, be an electrician or programmer. They want to download a photo, send it in an email. They are confused by the language, the terms, the windows popping up.

I have an appointment tomorrow, with another computer tech and will need to spend a lot of money to get my network (hardwired) working again. This has been an ungoing problem which has cost me so much money and time to find out why my machines refuse to share. They work together for a while and then quit and I've tried everything to no avail. I've had 3 different computer people work on this and no one has cured the problem. For what I've spent so far on this, I could have bought a new computer. Computers are not stable. When they work, they work well. When some glitch happens, everything stops.

I'll take my toaster any day.

Sorry for the rant, it's been a long day,

Jane

• owbist
    15 years ago

Don't apologise Jane, I understand and feel your frustrations.

I sincerely hope today's tech is able to sort out your networking issues, they have been going on for a long time. I also agree with you regarding Office 2007, a very aggravating program that need not have been altered so drastically.

For myself I have never been able to network my computers. Perhaps because I have no real need or interest but each attempt has led to the being abandoned in frustration. One day...............

• bpgreen
    15 years ago

Not to take anything away from your frustrations, Jane, but if a computer only had to make toast (or only display TV channels, or . . . ), it could do a fine job at that without any need for configuration, popup blockers, etc.

A PC is a powerful multipurpose machine, the uses of which are only limited by the software available for it.

To quote Monk, "It's a blessing. And a curse."

Since the PC is only limited in what it can do by what programs it has written for it, we have the WWW (including forums like this, which are much easier to use than the old BBS approach), word processors, spreadsheets, Google earth, buying things online, the internet archive (legal free movies, music, books, etc), free long distance phone calls and video conferencing, webcasts, podcasts (just this week, I listened to three car talk shows that I missed), PVRs and on and on.

Since the PC is only limited in what it can do by what programs it has written for it, we have Nigerian 419 scams, phishing, keystroke loggers, and all sorts of viruses, worms, spyware and malware.

I'll take my toaster, too. When I want toast. Toasters are easy. I'll bet even Microsoft could make a toaster that wouldn't crash.

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    15 years ago

I'll take my toaster Linux flavored please LOL