SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jamaraz_gw

Please help me redesign my front porch

jamaraz
12 years ago

Hi. I am redoing the outside of my home. I am replacing the red shingles with lap hardi board fiber cement siding and the brick front/steps will be replaced with stone. I have another thread going right now in regards to the color of the siding. Due to expense, I was planning on not replacing my porch columns and railings at this time. However, the posters in my other thread have convinced me that I should really just do it now.

My question is what should I do? I love the look of a column that has a square stone bottom/surround. My contractor said the column placement is too close to the edge of the porch and if I do the stone surround, the columns will end up looking like toothpicks. The other option was to build a half wall on both sides of the porch (covered in stone) and place the column on top of the half wall. I like the idea of the half wall but don't know if it will make my porch area look tiny and squat. It will, however, cut down on the cost of new railings.

The obvious option is to just replace the columns and railings but I don't always like the look of the standard builder grade column and railings. If I go for something more decorative/substantial, it will end up costing $$$. I had originally wanted to redesign the top of the porch to get a more modern shape but the price was way too much.

Any thoughts to update my porch but not break the bank? Please let me know. Thanks.

Comments (11)