SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
beths96

Please help me with my front porch

beths96
16 years ago

Hi everyone. I have a 1923 foursquare and we've done lots of work, inside and out, over the past 6 years. Now I'm starting to focus on the front porch. It's huge. When we bought the house, it was covered with green indoor/outdoor carpet. I removed it and painted the porch floor and front steps black.

So the problem is this: The glue that was used to attach the carpet to the porch floor is still there. I just painted over it as a quick fix. The swirl marks are very clearly seen, and it makes cleaning the porch floor nearly impossible. The swirl marks go every which way, and even scrubbing it on my hands and knees with a scrub brush doesn't remove all the dirt. (Doesn't help that I used black porch paint, either. Black shows everything, but it is my main accent color on the house).

Is there some way to remove this glue? I will say that I'm extremely busy with a 2 1/2 daughter and 3-month-old son. I don't want to have to paint over it one more time without figuring out if there's a way to remove the old glue. And by "old," I'm guessing the previous owner installed the carpet in the 70's, if not earlier. We bought this house is 2001, and the carpet on the porch was threadbare.

Here is a sort of outdated picture of the porch. I plan to take new pictures today of the swirl marks.

Thank you so much!

Beth

Here is a link that might be useful: porch

Comments (7)