SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jan_in_wisconsin

Help me Jazz Up my Front Porch (Pics)

jan_in_wisconsin
15 years ago

Now that we're finally thawing out here in Wisconsin, I'm excited to get working on our outdoor spaces. Do you all have any suggestions for adding some color and life to our front porch?

Here is a picture:

I would love some hanging baskets, and I'm thinking of creating my own. What color should the wire baskets, lined with coconut moss be - white or black? Which type and colors of flowers/plants would look best? I'm thinking pastel pinks probably won't work with the deep red brick and door. How many baskets should I make?

What about the potting containers by the front door? Are they too small? Should they be a different color (they're a dark, aged looking brown)? What should I put in them? If they don't work by the front door, I can always move them to the back patio and get something else instead.

Any other thoughts or ideas? The front door is BM Cottage Red. We have two porch rockers and have thought about adding a porch swing. The porch doesn't get a lot of direct sunlight, but in the afternoon every day, it does get some light.

Thanks!

Jan

Comments (29)

• lynninnewmexico
    15 years ago

What a beautiful home, Jan! With the light color of the house, porch railing and the red door, I'd opt for green, red and black as your accent colors. Maybe black wire baskets with red geraniums in them hanging between the posts. Black urns flanking the steps with trailing ivy and more red flowers in them. I'd even consider painting the chairs black to help them stand out behind all that white railing. Or make cushons that you can tie on. This is one of the fabrics I'm thinking about using on my own front portal this summer. I think the black background with the red and green would be fresh and really add some more visual interest . . . although there are hundreds of equally nice fabreic that would do the trick.
    Lynn
    This one is called Tasmand Licorice:
    {{!gwi}}

• jan_in_wisconsin
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Lynn,

Love that fabric, and I agree that the area could definitely use some dark accents. I really like black for that purpose, as it is a neutral and goes with anything. I like the idea of doing cushions for the chairs. I can sew at an intermediate level. Again, that fabric is great.

Jan

• Related Discussions

front entry porch help needed-pics

Q

Comments (6)
    I like Porch #1. (A copy of Porch #1 on a wider footprint than your current porch...another 12'' or so added width on both sides of the door & sidelights.) Extending a long porch along the front of your house will shade the windows...depending on where you live, that could be good or bad?
    ...See More

Help me jazz up this Halloween display

Q

Comments (3)
    Try the tall pumpkins and the cats (quite close together and place the cats slightly in front of the pumpkins and maybe slightly angled) in the middle -- a nice grouping! Then try the two orange-dressed figures on the left -- and the two purple dressed figures on the right. Try the tall figure with the black-and-white hat -- along with the two smaller black-and-white pumpkins -- on another surface in the room. Then take the small wood orange pumpkin from above the TV -- and sit it with the larger pumpkin on the left-hand cabinet. Sit the two glassy-ornage pumpkins together in the center above the TV. Jan
    ...See More

Please help me redesign my front porch

Q

Comments (11)
    I like the thick 'wrapped" colums. I think the stone half wall is OK but your stoop is a decent size for a stoop...mine is similar but judging from the space next to your front doors, yours is probably a bit bigger and I find that mine is a bit too small. A half wall on each side is going to take up and make your stoop space feel tighter. And I don't know that they will stand out much against the new stone facade for the cos. I think railings would be better and more open. And maybe you don't have to go with the usual thin black wrought iron. On our last house we rebuilt the front stoop and had the contractor build white painted "chippendale" style railings. It was not expensive. When you start looking around you might find there are more options on railings than than the typical ones you aren't too fond of.
    ...See More

Help me jazz up my tenant's apartment!

Q

Comments (36)
    Hi, I'm a Realtor, been going into other people's houses for a number of years, did a bit of property management, & here's what I've learned: Warm tones go with warm tones, & cool with cool. Bright white goes through periods when everybody wants it, & then after they've cleaned it for a year or so, nobody wants it! Plus, if a white is too "clean", it'll make furnishings look dingy. It's a cool-to-cold color, not inviting at all. (Think laboratories.) Warm colors are more inviting & they'll harmonize with the warm golden & brown wood floors. The medium-light warm neutrals will go with most people's stuff, & they'll go with the floors. The kitchen has the potential to be very charming. You might get some ideas by searching for images of kitchens in the 1900's or the 1940's... but there again, warm neutrals will probably be better for a rental. If the budget will stretch to new kitchen flooring, you might get rid of that cold-looking gray & replace it with a good grade of vinyl (Congoleum used to have a product that will outlast us all) in a warm color & a "vintage" pattern, or even install those linoleum squares like you see in school cafeterias. They would look appropriate for the age of the building, you can move the fridge without tearing the flooring, & that stuff lasts forever.
    ...See More
  • Lyban zone 4
    15 years ago

I like the way ( I think it was Zipdee ) had flower boxes on her railing of front porch. I think they would look great on your porch.

• powermuffin
    15 years ago

I like the idea of the black chairs too. If you think of your porch as a room, you could add a small table painted to match the fabric you end up with, an area rug, candles and/or even a bench for additional seating. With a few colorful pots of flowers, you should have a very interesting porch.
    Diane

• jan_in_wisconsin
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks, lyban. I love flowers, so flower boxes would be great. Do you think it would be too much to have flower boxes and hanging baskets?

Diane, I love the idea of a rug and another bench. Unfortunately, the chairs can't be painted, as they are made of a recycled plastic.

Jan

• susieq07
    15 years ago

Charming house...maybe center the rockers on window, place a nice table between to set your ice tea or mint jullip on...LOL hanging baskets of flowers for sure!

• jan_in_wisconsin
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Yes, I think centering the chairs would be best. How many baskets should I do - 4?

Jan

• kitchenkelly
    15 years ago

Hi Jan, we are thawing out too! Here are some suggestions:

I am a big fan of hanging ferns. If you went with ferns, then you could still do window boxes of flowers. I would use three - centered between the posts.

I don't think you need pots on each side of the door. One right below the house numbers would be nice. And another to the left of the windows. I think taller pots would be better in a deep, dark color. Also, how about a pot with a small metal trellis for the wall to the right. I think you need some height and a climber of some sort could be fun. If you don't like a trellis there, a dark metal one againt the wall below the porch (to the right) would add some more contrast.

I love the fabric lynninmexico picked. Maybe a nice striped pillow that matches would be fun, too.

Good luck!

• jan_in_wisconsin
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Great ideas. I think the ferns would do well there, as the porch is shaded. Do window boxes have to be screwed into the porch railing, or can they be clamped on somehow without screws. I'm just wondering what to do in the winter time. I would rather not drill holes unless they could be discreet somehow. But I really like the flower box idea. Any thoughts as to the style of them and the hanging baskets?

Jan

• kec01
    15 years ago

Jan, There are different types of brackets for window boxes. One type is made to go over wood railings (wider part of the bracket to fit over wood). They don't screw to the railings. Ther's another type that fits over metal railings and because metal is usually narrower than wood, the bracket is shaped to be narrower. Avoid them for your porch. The brackets can be removed. You may have to go to a proper garden center (not HD or Lowe's) to get the correct type of brackets.

Question for you - what have you already planted in front of the porch? Will it grow taller and stay tall? Or do you have perennials that will be cut down yearly? I'd get some shrubs planted if those aren't shrubs.

If that was my house, I'd focus on a blend of evergreen and flowering shrubs, a mix of perennials to keep color throughout the growing season, and a few annuals now to add some color right away. I'd plant to the left and right of the walk and I'd use dark brown mulch (either cocoa bean or dark cedar). I'd also do 6 flower boxes (one around the left side of the porch railing, 4 to the left of the entry and 1 to the right). I'd have more boxes because you'll never be able to lift 1 that when it's planted if it's going to stretch from post to post. If you do this many flower boxes, I'd skip hanging plants because it could get too busy.

I wouldn't do urns on the porch at all because the porch railing will hide them.

Hope this doesn't confuse the picture too much.

• teacats
    15 years ago

Do I see an electric outlet on the right-hand side of the doorway? Perhaps a fountain could be placed in the garden just below that right-hand area? Just add a stepping stone or two to act as a sturdy base for the fountain.

And on that same small right-hand porch area -- perhaps a white bakers rack to hold potted plants?

• jan_in_wisconsin
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Kec, I'm so glad to know that the flower boxes don't have to screw into the railings. I'll be on a mission looking for the right type of brackets. What do you think of the hayrack trough style window baskets, like these:

The plantings in front of the porch are perennials - a mixture of flowering plants and evergreens. All are low-to-the-ground. We were concerned that high shrubs would cover our brick too much. Also, the house is new, so they're small, brand new plantings from last fall. There are some shrubs to the left of the porch, off of the corner, which are not visible in the picture. Maybe some more in the front would look good. Our mulch needs refreshing. Do you think if I do hanging ferns, that it would look too busy with the window boxes?

Thanks,

Jan

• no_green_thumb
    15 years ago

Hi, Jan,
    I love the front of your house. I am very partial to ferns, mainly because I can grow them! (Refer to screen name.) I don't think it would be too busy with ferns and window boxes.
    Did you do the porch railings or did they come with the house? I have been searching and searching to be able to do railings on my house. I need two 12' sections. I was quoted almost $1,000 just for the materials and then DH would have to install. My plan is to put window boxes on as well. Squirrel did a visual for me last year and I so want to get it done. I love the low-growing plants in the front. I loathe shrubs. After a few years, they just get all big and wonky. I tore all of mine out, and have pachysandra in the front beds. That's why I want the window boxes. Do hang some ferns. Get some chain so they are not just hanging from the ceiling. I buy them every year and don't even put them in another hanging container. After a short time, they get so big you can't even see what they were planted in!
    Are they working on your back patio yet? Remember our conversations of about six weeks ago?? I did have someone out who is doing a design. He is coming back Wednesday. I am just very concerned he is going to be way over budget. I told him I want a simple, simple patio. I don't want waterfalls, fountains or anything fancy. I just want a place to drink my tea (Long Island or Salada depending on time of day) and I want the big concrete pad out. We'll see what happens on Wednesday. It has been way too cold in Ohio to really think about planting flowers.
    Back to you --- I could definitely see fern and window boxes.

• dekr8
    15 years ago

jan love the flowerbox. Where did you find it?

• zipdee
    15 years ago

Jan, Love your front porch! Hanging Boston ferns and window boxes full of flowers will look great together! I did that combo for years before we ripped the porch apart to work on it and paint. I always got tons of compliments from people passing by on how nice and lush the porch looked.

Here's a few pics if it will help .. my window boxes did sit on a piece that screwed on to the railing. I left mine on all year round though. Decorated them for fall, then Christmas and since were in a fairly moderate climate at that point I could do pansies until spring hit.

Your porch is going to look great .. please post pics so we can see too! :) :)

• brutuses
    15 years ago

zipdee, could you please post a front shot of your house. It looks so lovely from what I can see from the side photo's you've posted. Actually I saw your brick on another post and they were my inspiration for the brick we're putting to close in the bottom of our house and build our steps. Your porch color looks very close to mine also.

Jan, don't laugh but I'm tempted to go hang ferns on my front porch that I'm not even living on yet!! Hanging ferns in between your posts would be gorgeous. I agree that the black rockers would stand out.

By the way, you are the one who redid the walk to your house, right? It looks great.

Your house is just beautiful, inside and out.

• zipdee
    15 years ago

Brutuses, Thanks! The pics above are a couple of years old and I don't think I have any front shots of when we had the flower boxes on. I was actually taking pics of it raining like cats and dogs that day and our front yard flooding! *LOL* Our house has been repainted yellow, remodeled some since then and my porch is still in flux, not really decorated at the moment except for two urns and a few chairs. I'm sorry I don't have any front views to share of when it was done like this.

• jan_in_wisconsin
    Original Author
    15 years ago

no-green-thumb - Yes, I remember your patio post, and I hope it all works out for you. With a simple situation, maybe the price won't be outrageous. Our patio is supposed to be started in a few weeks. I can't wait, and I'll show you the pictures then. I love ferns too, but I've never had them on a porch before. I'm excited to get to it. Our porch is made of a recyclable material. It was installed when the house was built by a local company. It looks like wood, but it doesn't need painting, and it won't rot or get mold on it - no maintenance.

Dekr8, I found the flower boxes online at hooksandlattice.com. I may be able to find some like those in local stores, I hope.

Zipdee - What can I say, but that your porch is so charming! If mine were to look like it, I would be thrilled. I love the ferns. You said they are Boston ferns. I wonder if those are available up here. I'll have to check. Your window boxes are gorgeous. I suppose I could leave them up all year, maybe putting pine or balsam boughs in them over the winter months. Nothing actually grows here in the winter.

Brutuses - I've seen your posts with your beautiful home pictures. It is coming along wonderfully, and I bet you are excited. Go ahead and hang those ferns! :o)

Jan

• winker58
    15 years ago

I am in a similar situation. My house is a "praire sage" color (more light greyish to me) with brick columns that have wood pillars on top painted a light brownish-orange and front spindles the same color. I have a smaller porch (smaller house as well). I need to repaint the spindles and columns on top of the brick and some wicker furniture, and was told by someone that I should paint the columns and spindles the same as the house along with painting my wicker furniture so that all of it does not stand out and make the house look too busy on the front and look smaller. What does anybody think abouting blending it all in like Jan already has it as opposed to having furniture and railings stand out???

• kec01
    15 years ago

Jan, I love the hayracks, too, but they have to be mounted to a flat surface with screws. No way around it because they are not made to accomodate over the railing brackets. On the back, the top horizontal metal piece is shaped like this _________^_____________^__________. Those 2 little blips up are what you screw under. (I've worked in garden centers so got to know some of the types out there).

Just a note - Boston ferns don't do well in full sun. Your picture looks pretty bright. I can't tell if you have trees in the front, but without shade, the fern leaves will be nicely browned by July. Plus, they aren't hardy for the north central zones so us northerners need to treat them as annuals unless you bring them indoors over the winter.

I hear what you are saying about covering the brick, but if you have small/medium shrubs in front of the railing, you'd have the variety of a bit of height and the brick. Ideas for shrubs that do well in both the Twin Cities and Chicago so they should work for you are:
    Spirea - can be trimmed to stay lower
    hydrangeas - Endless summer don't have enough growing season in our climates to get huge but they need shade
    potentilla - yellow flower
    barberry -both a cranberry and a green/yellow variety
    alpine currant
    northern grown viburnum (Emerald Triumph)
    ninebark - The Diablo species has a maroon/green left with red flowers. I have 2 on either side of our back door. Will get taller and would work at the left corner of your house
    lilacs - again taller so would be better for corners

You could also go with sedum as they can stay in place over the winter but add a bit of height.

What part of WI are you in? Anywhere near Hudson or Hayward?

• jan_in_wisconsin
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Winker, that solution could work. Can you post pictures?

Kec01, I'm disappointed that the hayracks have to be mounted with screws. Do they have to be mounted on top of or underneath the railing? I really like spireas, barberry bushes, and potentillas. We do have some of these going around the corner and down the side of the house, but they're not visible in the picture.

We live in northeast Wisconsin, north of Green Bay.

Jan

• parma42
    15 years ago

Hi Jan,

The outside of your house is as pretty as your kitchen! I wish I was done with mine so I could get back to gardening and cooking.

I've always lived in the upper midwest. Boston ferns, while lovely, sometimes don't do to well around here for a variety of reasons. Most of your house is pretty neutral. What I like to see is a little shock of color. If you do baskets, think trailing lobelia, some bright blue annual salvia and a contrasting colored flower or just greenery.

Step out to the road or sidewalk and see what things look like from afar. When DH and I take walks we always notice the flowers we can see from the street.

Someone mentioned Ninebark. That's a great idea. I've had that on corners of my old house. It grows quickly and the color of the leaves and bark is quite nice. If I had only one shrub to plant it would be Korean Spice Viburnum. Once you smelled their aroma and saw the gorgeous flowers, you'd be hooked, too. They grow fairly tall (6') but if you want them shorter just cut back some top growth when they are done flowering.

• zipdee
    15 years ago

Jan, thanks for the kind comment. From reading the other posts it doesn't sound like Boston Ferns would work in your area. They do like very shady conditions and humidity, which is probably why they are used so much down here on porches. We're in NC and we get cold enough in the winter that Bostons are annuals here too. While they look pretty in your house, they shed like crazy and are rather messy to bring in. I did it one year and would never do it again. If you wanted to do just greenery in your baskets a local nursery would be able to direct you what would work great in your planting zone. Sounds like your getting some great advice above too! I hope you post pics when you get your porch decorated, I'd love to see them!

• jan_in_wisconsin
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Parma, thanks SO much for the plant suggestions. I agree completely about the use of bold colors in the plantings. I'm thinking red, white, and blue, and maybe some yellow popped in, and of course, the greens. I wrote down all of the plant choices you mentioned, and I'll be heading to the garden center someday soon.

I talked with my DH about this all, and he's not wild about flower boxes. He says he just thinks they look cluttery and doesn't like how they would obscure the porch railing. I think if I press the matter, he'll be okay with them, but now I'm leaning more toward flowers in the hanging baskets and no window boxes.

We'll see what I can find.

Thanks again, everyone, and I will surely post pictures when it's done.

Jan

• kitchenkelly
    15 years ago

Hi Jan, another way to add color to the front would be a birdbath in your front beds. Lots of fun colors out there.

Also, wind chimes are fun, too. (As long as they don't drive you crazy with the noise.)

• lindybarts
    15 years ago

Hey Jan,

Here's a quick look for you. Tried to incorporate many of suggestions here. I think having just two flower boxes would look nice and then you could still do a hanging plant over on the left without looking too cluttery. See what Dh thinks of this mockup? Maybe a different color box than white though..it's getting lost. I loved your metal one you found but since it didn't sound like you could attach it without screws, I didn't try it. I wonder if a pretty red painted one to match the door would look nice. Unless you've totally given up on the boxes now??

Just love your house!!!!

{{!gwi}}

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    15 years ago

I always think more is better ...so here's Lindy's added to:

{{!gwi}}

• jan_in_wisconsin
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Lindy and Bumblebeez! Wow!

Those mock ups are fantastic! I love it! The flower boxes are so nice, and of course I always fall for hanging baskets. They're beautiful. I'm leaning toward the more is better philosophy. Hmmm . . . I'll see what DH says. I think the photoshopping will really impress him.

You guys are awesome!

Jan

• lindybarts
    15 years ago

LOL Bumblebeez...I usually go overboard but kept it down this time because someone from the landscape forum accused me of crowding plants and doing a mismash. I was trying to be restrained....I like your more is better too! ;c)

By the way Bumblebeez, you've been holding out on us...didn't know you could photoshop. Your secret is out now!