SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
remodelboy_gw

Framing Larger Shower Stall-Found Elect Panel

remodelboy
15 years ago

I'm doing a light duty bathroom remodel. The owner was tired of the little 32x32 shower stall in the master bathroom and wanted to change it to a 32x60. We just opened up the drywall in the area and found the back of the main panel where we would be framing the new larger shower stall.

Isn't there a rule against framing a shower stall around a main panel? Are there any techniques that I could use to help pass an inspection - like framing a 2x4 stud wall in front of the back of the panel to help isolate it from an errant nail or screw?

The project is in W. Covina in CA. I would ask the inspector for his take on this, but they are closed on Fridays. By Monday, I was hoping to walk in there with some solutions and not just the problem.

I'm planning on framing a flat 2x4 wall and a bench in front of that wall with the back of the panel. I plan to use Hbacker or a float and then Kerdi over that prior to the tile. There is probably a better chance of water infiltration from the exterior/front side of the panel and wall, but I am paranoid about creating a hazardous situation.

Thanks in advance!

Comments (3)